Home Main Category General Firearms

McMillan A3 v Bell and Carlson Medalist

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,703 Senior Member
I have not committed to the idea yet, but McMillan is having a sale right now and I could purchase their A3 stock for a significant discount, putting it within $50 of the cost of a Bell and Carlson Target/Competition stock:

The McMillan A3:

https://mcmillanusa.com/product/a3-tikka-t3/

Pros:
- Well known McMillan quality
- Relatively light at 2.5#

Cons:
- Pillar Bedding instead of an aluminum bedding block
- No adjustable cheekpiece

The B&C:

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1129

Pros:
- Aluminum bedding block
- Adjustable cheek piece
- Normal price shipped ~$50 less than McMillan sales price

Cons:
- Heavier at 3.5#

So, is the McMillan enough better than the B&C to sacrifice the adjustable cheekpiece and jump on the sales price?
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    In my opinion, stocks with bedding blocks still need glass bedded if you wish to be absolutely sure of the platform
    I currently have the B&C Alaskan 11 that I got from Redhawk rifles when they would export to NZ, it is a very good stock and I bedded it even though it had the block
    Some skim bed, waste of time in my opinion, I have this stock attached to my Bdl 30 06

The only McMillian I have experience with is the Edge type fitted to a 75 Sako, fine stock but different type what your thinking of.
    McMillian are very well thought of in New Zealand.

Depending on what you do with it the 1LB may or may not make a difference.
    If it was me and the 1lb didn't matter I'd take the B&C, bed it properly have the adjustable cheek piece and if the barreled action going in is a shooter you'll be pretty happy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,531 Senior Member
    I personally prefer B&C. I have had issue with 3 McMillan stocks. Though, superfluous in your aspect as two were with an adjustable cheek piece and the third was the bottom metal continually falling out on a .50cal.

Have you held either? Which feels better. That is the true deciding factor to me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Both being quality stocks, at that kind of price point, for that kind of rifle, not having an adjustable cheekpiece is a deal breaker for me. Length of pull not being perfect, I can adapt to. Grip or forend shape, I can adapt to. Having to constantly wiggle your face around to find your eye relief, SUCKS.

McMillan can do just about any of their stocks with an adjustable cheekpiece. It's only money.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    McMillan makes a great stock, but they're a bit too proud of them, imo. They used to be priced better, but they've been on an upswing the last 5 years beyond what other manufacturers are charging. Still a great stock. Will the extra pound be that big of a difference? Will this gun go anywhere besides from the truck to the bench?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Am I correct in your choices not having HS Precision in them that they do not make a stock for the Tikka??
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    If you want the A3 shape without the A3 price a Grayboe Renegade is an option.

www.Gunstox.com

Pillar bedded, requiring only glass bedding.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    If you want the A3 shape without the A3 price a Grayboe Renegade is an option.

www.Gunstox.com

Pillar bedded, requiring only glass bedding.

Grayboe has had my attention for awhile, but unfortunately they don't inlet for the T3.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Grayboe has had my attention for awhile, but unfortunately they don't inlet for the T3.

KRG Bravo chassis. Feel of a stock, rigidity of a chassis. T3 version available at about $350.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    KRG Bravo chassis. Feel of a stock, rigidity of a chassis. T3 version available at about $350.

I was made aware of that on another forum the other day, I'm definitely interested. I'd like to try and find one to fondle.
    cpj wrote: »
    While it's cool, I don't see that as a chassis. To me, it's a stock. You can't change butt stocks or grips. Therefore...it's a stock. But I still dig it.

Correct it’s not a chassis, but uses the same aluminum structure as their X-Ray series chassis.