Wife finally scores

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,539 Senior Member
Game cams have been showing a LOT of afternoon activity in one of my greenfields. Wife managed to get 1/2 day off today, so we went hunting.

About 1600, I hear her shoot. get my stuff packed up and head her way. She's standing outside the shooting house (aka box blind) when I pull up. She shows me where it was standing at the shot (~35 yards away) tells me it ran across the field, the down the edge and then back across that leg of the field and behind the hay barn.

She follows its path looking for blood, and I head down to where it went behind the barn.

She's practicing her tracking, following its blood trail, and I see it in the weeds behind the barn.

If you remember, I changed her load from 125 Nosler Ballistic tips to the Midsouth bulk 300 BO 125gr solid copper hollow points in her Ruger compact 308, to test them before I let grandson start using them in the 300 BO I am building. Loaded down to ~2300fps. Deer was at a VERY slight quartering away angle. Bullet entered into the "pocket" behind his front left leg and exited out the center of the right shoulder.

Bullet left a quarter sized exit wound. Deer ran ~65 yards and piled up.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    From the pic, it looks like she made an expert shot:applause:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,539 Senior Member
    Thanks
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

SS3, if you read this thread, it was the same field you hunted, and down the left (larger) side

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,166 Senior Member
    Looks like a darned good hit to me.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Thanks Mike, it was IMO

It was within 1" of what I consider "perfect" shot placement

She said she'd watched him feeding along the edge, with brush in the way, for 30 minutes before it finally came all the way out and gave her the shot she wanted

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    Dead deer! Well executed!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    Very nice----tell her nice shooting.

Outstanding patience
    I have a need for speed
    Thanks gentlemen :beer:

Ned, she just chuckled :tooth:

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    She hit that sucker pretty well perfectly. Very nice job!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks Luis, I told her what you said, and she just smiled.

From growing up on a dairy farm, she knew how to shoot when I met her. All I had to teach her was how to handle a 308 and where to shoot a deer.

She learned well :up:

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,560 Senior Member
    Way to go, nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    Well done Mrs. Knight:up:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,805 Senior Member
    Tell her that was a good hunt to wait on the shot, and a nice shot to wait for. Did she get her knife dirty?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,558 Senior Member
    Cool beans! Right nice shot, and mighty fine eatin' there, son!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Thanks guys :beer:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Did she get her knife dirty?
    Nope, just her hands.
    ~30 minute drive to the processor and he only charges $10 more if it hasn't been gutted

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    Tell he congrats and nicely done!

Sako
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,236 Senior Member
    Tell the wife congrats and well done.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Will do gentlemen, and thank you!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,443 Senior Member
    Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,091 Senior Member
    I concure with Zee, well done. Tell the lady, well done. A dead deer is a deer in the freezer. And that spells success.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thank you gentlemen :beer:

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    Great shot Mrs knitepoet.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,469 Senior Member
    Excellent result and great shot placement Paul. Pass on my congratulations to her.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thank you both :beer:
    And I will Alec :up:

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,133 Senior Member
    Congrats to your wife and her mentor!

:up:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Thank you sir :beer: