Went duck jumping

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,966 Senior Member
Started out at 23 degrees and as soon as it got to 40 I went out to see if there were ducks on the creek.

No ducks, all I saw was horned grebes and red breasted mergansers.

No shots fired since grebes are $100 birds and red breasted mergansers are :vomit: inducing.

If those Yankee ducks do not move south soon, the season will be over.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,342 Senior Member
    We're having the same issues in my area. We've had that one good push of birds by a freeze line, but that's apparently receeded along with the birds. We need Idaho to lock back up fast.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    I'm just hoping that the mergansers are a sign, as they usually come in force first.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    We're having the same issues in my area. We've had that one good push of birds by a freeze line, but that's apparently receeded along with the birds. We need Idaho to lock back up fast.

You guys think it's bad there, man here on the Texas Coast the sky used to be black with ducks at times. Now you have to go out in the wild and hope you see ducks. There seem to be many many less than there used to be. They all hold up north in the various reserves and many don't come down here until season is about finished. It's the same with Geese to a lesser extent. I saw a bunch of geese while driving through the King Ranch on the way to South Padre this week. Not like it used to be but way more than I've seen here. And also I see many more geese than ducks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    NN I thought this thread was going to be about jump shooting ducks. We did a lot of that when I was a kid. There's a place on Chocolate Bay here that is a cane marsh and is full of pot holes surrounded by cane growing 10-12 feet high. The place is full of snakes, but when we were kids we thougth we were immune to snake bites and we waded through the cane like it was snow. We would go from pot hole to pot hole and shoot ducks off these pot holes. Not that it was real ethical but back then we took 'em as we could get 'em. One time there were 4 of us and we had 45 ducks, not that we were over a limit (Yeah Right) Back then you could possibly keep up to 12 ducks each depending on species. You could legally shoot something like 6 or 8 Texas Mottle Ducks. then you could shoot four pintails, and four mallards, 4 widgeons, 6 teal, and 4 Gadwal with a max of 12 and any combination of the fore named. The only problem is I don't think we always had the right legal proportion of each species. Looking back, those were some great old times, but I'm not real proud of breaking the law.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Duck Jumping huh?
    Is that something similar to what Buffy does to chickens?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Duck Jumping huh?

You sir know what you can do
    "imoit:
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Duck Jumping huh?

Buffy has been quiet for awhile, where is he?
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: NO! What Buffy does with chickens is by far something totally different, LOL!!!:spittingcoffee::popcorn::rotflmao:
    Today I only saw red breasted mergansers on the other creek.

I then went out in the Neuse River and saw a ton of ruddy ducks, but, there is no chance of getting close to a large flock out in the open water.