Veterans new ID card [VIC card}

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,032 Senior Member
For those of us that do not have a retired ID, or VA health card and need veteran ID proof
to take advantage of veteran discounts at many merchants; the VA has come out with the new subj VIC card.

If interested go to:
https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/va_search.jsp?NQ=URL%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.va.gov%2F&QT=vic+card&submit.x=24&submit.y=14
I have a need for speed

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    All I can find on your link is the VHIC and it says
    Veterans must be enrolled in the VA health care system to receive a VHIC

I was going to mention it to the oldest, but he already has a VA health card.

Well, looking closer, There's a link for Indiana VIC card, but since oldest lives here, I doubt the Northern Indiana VA would want to give him a card :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    It is really messed up in this county, they have a county VIC system and list of merchants that participate,
    so for most if Ya want the discount, it does not matter if Ya got:

A retired ID

A VA health ID

Or the new VA VIC card

you still need the County VIC card
    I don't have one since getting to the register of Deeds has been a problem.
    I have a need for speed
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    It is really messed up in this county, they have a county VIC system and list of merchants that participate,
    so for most if Ya want the discount, it does not matter if Ya got:

A retired ID

A VA health ID

Or the new VA VIC card

you still need the County VIC card
    I don't have one since getting to the register of Deeds has been a problem.
    Having dealt with the VA before, working for their contracted ambulance service. Finding out something is a "charlie Foxtrot" surprises me NOT

Edited because my first acronym was blocked by the auto censor
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,084 Senior Member
    With a copy of a DD 214 certified by the local VA service officer, the Tennessee DMV will put a code on a driver's license certifying veteran status. Most of the merchants who want proof of vets' status honor that one.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    With a copy of a DD 214 certified by the local VA service officer, the Tennessee DMV will put a code on a driver's license certifying veteran status. Most of the merchants who want proof of vets' status honor that one.
    Jerry

They do that in Florida also.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Lowes and such big stores do and as well with a mil ID.

So I don't know why they're doing this
    maybe some states don't except at renewal time .

It would be $13 here to have it done between renewals.
    I have a need for speed
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Lowes and such big stores do and as well with a mil ID.

So I don't know why they're doing this
    maybe some states don't except at renewal time .

It would be $13 here to have it done between renewals.

It's for people like me that were in the military but didn't retire or have no military disability. A lot of places around here offer discounts for any veteran but there used to be no way to prove it if you weren't retired or disabled, there was no ID for just having been a veteran.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,084 Senior Member
    Having a code on a driver's license is a lot simpler than having to carry a DD214 around all the time to prove prior service. Active duty, reserve, and retired guys have an ID card- - - -guys like me who only served one or two enlistments don't qualify for either one.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    Looks like North Dakota will put veteran status on drivers license by showing DD 214 also.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    It's apparently a pretty popular thing since the application site crashed a few weeks back....it came back on line the end of last week and I went through all the rigamarole, jumped through all the hoops and got it done in about 30 minutes. They download your picture to the card and mail it to you...in the meantime they give you a virtual card to use until the hard copy shows up....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"