How do You Brew Your Coffee?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    As in what method?

Lately I've taken to using the pour over method. Since I'm down to about 20oz of coffee in the AM it's the perfect quantity and the quality is rather good. Plus, at $4 for a Molita pour-over cone and $4 for 100 filters, cost wise it's hard to beat. Set it up over an over-sized mug and use hot water and you're set.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077?skuId=10182077&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_online&product_id=10182077&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=223852732203&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3140840171&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-ef74f99ce69e73538990c3b7473a5712_t-1518009624&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5KCQwfKT2QIV1LXACh3HGghaEAQYAiABEgJQGvD_BwE

e5472c45525a2928ea4f900d78fc0c58.jpg

I was doing that using my Gevallier Drip machine when we lost power during the storm and for a week afterward. I had gas so just boild me some water on the stove burner and poured it through the filter manually. Worked great until power returned. Had a little problem figuring out how much coffee to use to make a 16 oz mug, but I finally just started making a full 8-10 cups instead of trying to make it by the mug.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,593 Senior Member
    Hamilton Beach Flex Brew K-cup coffee maker that came with a loose grounds filter basket. I put a 16 oz. SS insulated tumbler under the spout and 4 teaspoons of coffee in the filter basket and two cups of water in the reservoir, and hit the go button.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I have a six cup Mr Coffee. I was gonna cut down. Now I add water twice after the first two cups:bang:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,028 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I have a six cup Mr Coffee. I was gonna cut down. Now I add water twice after the first two cups:bang:

So youz like brown water. hey.
    I have a need for speed
    As in what method?

Lately I've taken to using the pour over method. Since I'm down to about 20oz of coffee in the AM it's the perfect quantity and the quality is rather good. Plus, at $4 for a Molita pour-over cone and $4 for 100 filters, cost wise it's hard to beat. Set it up over an over-sized mug and use hot water and you're set.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077?skuId=10182077&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_online&product_id=10182077&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=223852732203&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3140840171&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-ef74f99ce69e73538990c3b7473a5712_t-1518009624&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5KCQwfKT2QIV1LXACh3HGghaEAQYAiABEgJQGvD_BwE

I was using the Molita brand cones for my Gevallier Drip pot but they were out at HEB one time so I bought the HEB brand which I discovered I prefer. The HEB brand has a little tab that you can grab, otherwise with my worn out fingerprint fingers it takes me five minutes to grab one out of the stack. It's a small thing (No Pun Intended) but it makes life just a little bit easier. And the store brand is cheaper. I think Wally World has Great Value, but I'm not sure if they have the little tab the HEB Brand does.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    These days I went to Folgers Half Caff. No reason to cut back on caffeine, but I seem to be sleeping a little better.
    I have a Keurig single cup thingy, but don't use those anymore.

I drink coffee all day long summer/winter...don't matter.

Chief I do about the same thing. I Keep a can of Folgers Classic Decaf on hand for late nite urges when it's cold and I want a warm drink but don't want to ride the Red Eye Special all night. But sometimes I want to drink coffee in the afternoon and don't want pure decaf but don't want the afternoon shakes either, so I mix the decaf 50%-50% and it's not bad at all and it doesn't affect my sleep drinking in the afternoon. But in the morning I want the full kick.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,865 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Chief I do about the same thing. I Keep a can of Folgers Classic Decaf on hand for late nite urges when it's cold and I want a warm drink but don't want to ride the Red Eye Special all night. But sometimes I want to drink coffee in the afternoon and don't want pure decaf but don't want the afternoon shakes either, so I mix the decaf 50%-50% and it's not bad at all and it doesn't affect my sleep drinking in the afternoon. But in the morning I want the full kick.

I really find this amazing....I can drink leaded coffee all day and go to sleep without a problem.....hell, I can fall asleep while I'm drinking coffee....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    snake284 wrote: »

Now as for my coffee routine in a normal day, I buy Community Dark Roast or Starbuck's Pike, which are both ground, but then I also I buy a couple of pounds of HEB Gourmet whole beans which I grind. This coffee comes in several different beans and I usually get their Donut Shop Original. I have a Gevallier or however it's spelled drip machine that was my mothers and like cpj said, I'll crawl to the edge of the earth or die trying, trying to find parts to keep it going. Thank God they still sell this model. It makes perfect or near perfect coffee. I used to make 10 or 12 cups in the morning and drink it all day until I was shaking like Elvis. So I throttled it back to 8 cups. Now I'm only making 6 cups a morning which equates to 2 of my mugs. I switch between usually Community Dark Roast, one of my all time favorite coffees and the HEB Donut shop original. Like I mentioned, sometimes I buy Starbuck's Pike, which I do love too. Sometimes I'll even go by the Starbucks shop in Victoria and buy it in whole bean form and grind that too, which I do enjoy. But day to day, it's mostly the HEB Donut Shop. It's smooth.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,220 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Hamilton Beach Flex Brew K-cup coffee maker that came with a loose grounds filter basket. I put a 16 oz. SS insulated tumbler under the spout and 4 teaspoons of coffee in the filter basket and two cups of water in the reservoir, and hit the go button.

I need to find my K basket and try using it again. Make it as strong as I want. MORE POWER!! ARR-ARRRR!!!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,220 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I really find this amazing....I can drink leaded coffee all day and go to sleep without a problem.....hell, I can fall asleep while I'm drinking coffee....

Yep, me too. I think it’s cause I was raised in a Navy home; coffee on from 0500 til bedtime.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    We got rid of our well used Mr. Coffee in favor of a Keurig.....and it made a decent cup of coffee....but after replacing it 3 times in as many years I threw the damned thing in the trash.
    We had that problem too. The Keurig brand machines were terrible. We finally bought a Bunn that takes K-cups and it has never given us a problem in the 4 years we have had it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PLQ5H2/ref=asc_df_B009PLQ5H25363193/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009PLQ5H2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167147331067&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7517846199960638962&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051951&hvtargid=pla-312048933338

And yea, the K-cups are expensive, but the convenience is what you are paying for. If we have company and anticipate drinking a lot of coffee, we get out the Mr. Coffee and the electric tea kettle. That, and you can use your own beans with the adapter.

If none of you have never heard of these espresso makers, get one! They are good for camping and at home. For the price, they can't be beat....

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518054796&sr=8-3&keywords=expresso+maker
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member

Not me. If I eat I chocolate bar after 4 PM I won't sleep a wink that night. I cut off caffeine consumption at noon.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,248 Senior Member
    Not me. If I eat I chocolate bar after 4 PM I won't sleep a wink that night. I cut off caffeine consumption at noon.
    That is tragic! I could has an IV drip of esspresso in bed and fall asleep in about 2 nano-seconds.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member

This.
    And all that bullcrap about coffee being addictive is wrong.......I drink about 15-20 mug fulls a day and have done for the last 35 years and I can tell you from personal experience that coffee is not addictive...........

I use a French press for most of my coffee...............but I never buy pre ground beans, I always grind them when I need a refill.

Oh and some of the best coffee beans in the world come from Kona, not out of an animals butt........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,241 Senior Member
    I even have one of these just like the one my grandma used at her home when I was a kid and it was old back then. The original Guardian drip coffee maker. Makes a GREAT cup of coffee (actually 10 great cups :tooth:)
    05052012-217.1L.jpg
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I used to be able to do that. But the older I get the more it seems to affect me.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member

My dad came back from a business trip and told me about the menu of a little coffee stand he stopped at. They had a decaf, skim milk, artificial sweetener offering that they listed as the "Why Bother?" Nailed it! :applause:

Mr. Coffee 12-cup (usually only make 6), with a rinseable filter basket so I don't have to buy paper filters. Folgers with pinch of salt on the "STRONG" setting.

It doesn't look like anyone is still using a percolator. Got one of those for deer camp. My grandparents used one until Grandpa was the only one drinking, and he switched to instant (maybe having gotten hooked on it in WWII, I dunno). My cousin from my other parent's side of the family once spent the night with us there, and when I was driving her home, the first thing she said when we hit the road was "Can we stop and get some REAL coffee?" UNANIMOUS AGREEMENT by all occupants!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,037 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    It doesn't look like anyone is still using a percolator. Got one of those for deer camp.
    That is where mine lives. We also got a Coleman drip maker, but the percolator gets all the use.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is where mine lives. We also got a Coleman drip maker, but the percolator gets all the use.

We percolate at the hunting shack also.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    We have the fancy Mr Coffee 12 cup that gets used twice a day and a Mr Coffee K-cup that wife uses when she wants flavored coffee. Wife likes strong coffee, I just add hot water to mine.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,207 Senior Member
    I dont, the wife makes it, when out hunting i just use instant coffee.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 93 Member
    As in what method?

I don't!!! That's my wife's job!
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,645 Senior Member

Basically me. I may have a half or full pot in the evening during the winter. I can still fall asleep easily, most of the time. Rare is the time it keeps me up. I'll hit the bed and cruise the web, then maybe some Netflix or YouTube. Then fall asleep watching Netflix or YouTube...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    My dad came back from a business trip and told me about the menu of a little coffee stand he stopped at. They had a decaf, skim milk, artificial sweetener offering that they listed as the "Why Bother?" Nailed it! :applause:

Mr. Coffee 12-cup (usually only make 6), with a rinseable filter basket so I don't have to buy paper filters. Folgers with pinch of salt on the "STRONG" setting.

It doesn't look like anyone is still using a percolator. Got one of those for deer camp. My grandparents used one until Grandpa was the only one drinking, and he switched to instant (maybe having gotten hooked on it in WWII, I dunno). My cousin from my other parent's side of the family once spent the night with us there, and when I was driving her home, the first thing she said when we hit the road was "Can we stop and get some REAL coffee?" UNANIMOUS AGREEMENT by all occupants!

Exactly, instant sucks. When I was in the Philippines last year, I was bound and determined not to have to drink instant coffee. They drink Nescafe. I brought a pound of my special grind with me and after the second day there when I went to an appliance store to buy a window unit AC for my bedroom (I don't like sweating either) I bought a Panasonic Drip maker and some filters. We had real coffee and it was nice. However before I left I ran out of coffee so went to the super market and found some really nice Batangas coffee. It's some of the best coffee in that part of the world. I'll be going back soon and I'll bring more of my coffee but now I know where to get some decent stuff while I'm there.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,421 Senior Member
    K cup here. I drink 1 cup in the morning to wake me up and get the pipes moving. That's it. The giant box from Costco of the French Roast i like lasts months, and they're recyclable, its got a paper filter, not the big plastic deals
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,421 Senior Member
    I do miss my French press though. But, my aunt sold her plantation in Kona so I don't get really nice coffee anymore, no reason to get another. Any more than 1 cup and my stomach is in knots all morning
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    Keurig. I get my K-cups from a discount chain, called "Ollie's". Box of 40 "Doughnut Shop" K-cups for $9.99. I can't tell the difference between them and the high-dollar Keurig brand.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    When I started work at the plant, in D'burg, they had cafeteria style Keurig coffee makers in the breakroom. We had about 7 or 8 coffees and a hot chocolate, to pick from. Two years later, they were yanked out and replaced with a couple of breakroom coffee machines, that used bags of coffee concentrate, really nasty crap. I asked a friend, in the front office,what happened to the Keurigs. She told me that at the end of the last fiscal year, accounting had run the numbers and it appeared that our factory of around 300 employees had gone through $32,000 worth of K-cups, in one year. Guess some people had Keurig machines at home, and deep pockets.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 1,665 Senior Member

Good old Bodum French Press, 48 ounce. 10 years old and going strong. Just never go near it with metal utensils. Cheap and no filters. Great coffee. If it breaks, there are stainless models now.

For those with an Aeropress. Try the inverted method. Double strength. It's awesome. Great espresso.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,241 Senior Member
    K cup here. I drink 1 cup in the morning to wake me up and get the pipes moving. That's it. The giant box from Costco of the French Roast i like lasts months, and they're recyclable, its got a paper filter, not the big plastic deals
    That’s the one I use too. San Francisco Bay broke the Keurig patent and came up with a paper cartridge that sells for cheaper than everyone else because they don’t pay a licensing fee. Their French Roast is excellent!!! I also buy it at Costco in huge boxes.
    81ZikG2gnzL._SL1500_.jpg
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton