Remington Outdoor Group Files Bankruptcy Protection

13»

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,321 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    I hope you are right but if they go like the older gun parts the prices will get all jacked up.

Even if I'm wrong, you can buy every part to a 700, aftermarket.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'd love to see some actual proof of that. While some parts of their rifles have been "cheapened" to keep costs down, every Remington 700 I've fired for years has been sub-MOA out of the box. Their new SPS stocks are much better than the old ones and their triggers while not Jewells are not bad for a run of the mill hunting rig. I know Marlin went through some moving pains but Remington in general still builds great rifles.

And yes the trigger recall settlement will probably disappear with the bankruptcy re-structuring.

Now I'm wondering if this may be a culprit in the bankruptcy restructering.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,076 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I did bitch about it.
    Buford wrote: »
    There was a bunch of bitchin about that.
    I bitched about it too... LOUDLY! Turns out it was just a guttural purely emotional response in my part.

Since then I've come to a complete change of heart. GM paid $2.4 Billion in Federal taxes alone in 2016 and employs roughly 50,000 in the USA (not including dealerships, mechanics and all sorts of other companies that make money off GM and their products) presumably all of them paying federal income tax too. Lending them money to get through a rough patch was actually a good investment.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I bitched about it too... LOUDLY! Turns out it was just a guttural purely emotional response in my part.

Since then I've come to a complete change of heart. GM paid $2.4 Billion in Federal taxes alone in 2016 and employs roughly 50,000 in the USA (not including dealerships, mechanics and all sorts of other companies that make money off GM and their products) presumably all of them paying federal income tax too. Lending them money to get through a rough patch was actually a good investment.
    I’m shocked I did not get a :fan: out of this one. You guys going soft one me...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,576 Senior Member
    I’m shocked I did not get a :fan: out of this one. You guys going soft one me...

#1 rule .......never give a crap samich to the guy wearing the Moderator badge. :rotflmao:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    I liked the huge billboard a Ford dealer put up in Cleveland Tennessee- - - - - "FORD- - - -BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOILLARS!" I heard he sold a bunch of cars with that sign!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Old Ron wrote: »
    #1 rule .......never give a crap samich to the guy wearing the Moderator badge. :rotflmao:
    There is no such rule as many here can attest to. Civil discourse is encouraged and that’s not usually served as a crap sandwich.

After doing the math in my head and looking at the alternatives keeping GM alive was a relatively cheap expenditure that saved hundreds of thousands worldwide from going on the unemployment ranks and continued a huge revenue stream from drying out.

I’m all for free markets and I AM all for bad businesses failing if managed incorrectly. But in hindsight doing the wrong thing with GM (and setting up a really bad precedent) netted a positive revenue outcome for the federal and state governments and there is no denying that. Bad premise, positive outcome. It took me a while to wrap my head around that one.
    Teach wrote: »
    I liked the huge billboard a Ford dealer put up in Cleveland Tennessee- - - - - "FORD- - - -BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOILLARS!" I heard he sold a bunch of cars with that sign!
    Jerry
    And that there is damn funny :tooth:
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,576 Senior Member
    Today a lot of businesses seem to think the rest of us need to help them when they screw up. Governments want to be in business. They are full of people that know little or nothing about running one. If they make mistakes they tax us more. They compete with hard working people that if they make a mistake .....it is on them. They need to fix roads,update schools,help the elderly & protect our boarders. Those things would keep them busy enough .....stay out of business ! We seem to spend way to much time & money bending to 1% of the population & ignoring the other 99% or worse ....taking there rights away .
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,131 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Glad to hear this.  We'll see what happens next.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    I agree, Remington, or whatever they call it now, should sell off all the other companies they have acquired and let other companies concentrate on those products that sold good before and Remington should concentrate on their bread and butter guns. There's plenty of people making good ARs and 1911s out there so that should be dropped and Remington should concentrate on its bread and butter shotguns and 700 Series rifles. I really think they don't need a cheap rifle. I think with CNC technology they can make a 700 as cheap as Ruger makes the American and Savage makes the Axis or whatever they call it now. Then they can still make 700s on the high end too. The latest X Mark Pro triggers are very passable for a majority of the hoards that hunt with them and on the higher end models such as the BDL and CDL they could put a Timney style trigger on them. If I buy an ADL Synthetic I am planning on doing something special with it so I don't mind buying a better trigger. I have bought 3 of these and haven't yet done anything with them except shoot and hunt with them, but in the future I may use them as donors.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,952 Senior Member
    Wondering how the R51s gonna make out with this...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,630 Senior Member
    I’m doing my part to support them by getting my boy a 20ga 870 Shotgun. Will be his first shotgun and dove season this year. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 716 Senior Member
    I just want them to make a decent trigger.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Zee said:
    I’m doing my part to support them by getting my boy a 20ga 870 Shotgun. Will be his first shotgun and dove season this year. 
    That was my daughter's first shotgun too and she still has it.  Great choice.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,307 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I don't dove hunt like I used to, but my 870 in 20 gauge, and my 870 in 28 gauge are my favorites for dove hunting now. That 20 gauge should work well for your son as a dove gun. Not much recoil, light and quick to swing, and plenty of reach and a good shot load to take down the birds. Great choice for quail and pheasants, too, IMHO.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

13»