What flashlight is in your hunting pack?

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,539 Senior Member
We've posted about "defense" flashlights but what type do ya'll carry in your hunting packs? The same thing that you use for everything else? I like a small, not very bright LED to get to and from my stands and I also carry a bright non-LED light for tracking animals. I won't specify brands or models yet as the type of light and the reason for it is what I'm curious about.
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    These pocket lights are on sale right now at Harbor Freight:

image_11988.jpg

Two for $2.99, and the use regular AAA batteries. I carry one all the time when I'm doing my warranty inspection work- - - - -if I've got my pants on, I've got a flashlight. Nice and bright, cheap, and long battery life.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    I carry a 5 mode LED. It has 220, 110 and 22 lumen modes, adjustable focus, plus strobe and SOS. It also has a magnetic base, so before it gets light enough to hunt, I can stick it to the tin roof of my shooting house and read while awaiting legal shooting time.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    Small maglight in my coat and a big one in the equipment bay on the boat.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,717 Senior Member
    Mini-maglite
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    H7 Lenser in my pack, along with a spare set of batteries.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,660 Senior Member
    I am usually wearing a Petzl headlamp, and have either a Streamlight PT2AA, PT1AA, or Surefire G2 Nitrolon with me. Sometimes, all of them.

I have a 'thing' with flashlights.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    I always have my Streamlight headlamp, and sometimes carry a small pocket lite for backup, but have never needed it.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,539 Senior Member
    I'm kind of a flashlight whore and seem to always find a reason to buy another one to try out. If a light isn't what I anticipated, it gets tossed into a toolbox or junk drawer. One I found that I really like for hunting is my Streamlight twintask. Mine has a white xenon light and a green LED built into one light. I'm a big fan of LEDs as the amount of lumens and the battery life are so much higher but I found that LEDs don't show blood very well at all. Twice so far this season I've helped track a wounded deer at night and the guys that had LED lights could barely see the blood if at all. I ended up passing out my spare surefires. Until I compared them side by side, I never realized how poorly the LEDs showed blood compared to other types of bulbs. That's why I like a low powered LED for getting to and from my stand and a high powered xenon light for finding stuff.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I usually carry 3 lights. 1 is none and 2 is 1 so I like to have a back-up.

Spoken like a true attendee of the Surefire Low Light Instructor course. :usa:

I've got a number of Surefire and Surefire-like combat lights, one of which is my constant companion. The backpacking/hunting kit contains a headband LED unit that probably runs around 15-20 lumens for use when I've got a sock hat on my head, and a Browning red/white LED light that clips to the brim of a ball cap.

I also picked up a Browning red/green/white LED light that runs on AAA's. Fairly small, but bigger than the combat lights, but more energy-efficient. Haven't decided if that's going to be a backpack light or a leave at the car-camp light.

Last night, I picked up a new 5.11 LED pen light that runs on two AAA's, yet still kicks out enough lumens to meet the threshold for a combat light (60). This is probably going to end up going into a shirt pocket to be a back up the combat light or a stand-alone light on those rare occasions when I have to dress like a corporate drone-monkey. How it will play in the hunting scene remains to be seen.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    A mini mag lite, that I rarely use, a cheapo LED like Teach posted, and an Energizer head lamp.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    My old "wal-mart special" flashlight gave out so I treated myself and upgraded to a Steamlight Twin-Task 3AAA LED light. So far I have been very happy with it, in bright mode I have no problem seeing a blood trail.

tt3aa-led_angle1_enlarged.jpg