brass cleaning media- - - -preferences?

2»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Hmmmmm- - - - -just had another idea- - - - -what about pumice-based hand cleaner in the pump bottle- - - - -GoJo, Fast Orange, etc.? It's got a mild abrasive and a citrus-based detergent. Half a gallon of it sells for the same price as a quart of Frankford Arsenal additive.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,359 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmmm- - - - -just had another idea- - - - -what about pumice-based hand cleaner in the pump bottle- - - - -GoJo, Fast Orange, etc.? It's got a mild abrasive and a citrus-based detergent. Half a gallon of it sells for the same price as a quart of Frankford Arsenal additive.
    Jerry

Wouldn't hurt to try it and see. The stuff like Go-Jo and Fast Orange are pretty cheap compared to some of the other stuff, and they sure do get the dirt/grease/oil off your mitts pretty quick. Worth a try, anyway. Tractor Supply has Black Beauty sandblast media in a 50# bag for less than $8 a bag. Might have to pick up a bag this week and give it a spin. I got some NASTY cases that need cleaning and the corncob media ain't making it.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

Have you loaded any of the .50 BMG cases Robert scavenged up for you? Some of that stuff looked a little grungy!
    Jerry
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,199 Senior Member
    My personal favorite is corn cob media with a little squirt of Flitz.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,778 Senior Member
    I would think sand or sandblasting medium would eat up the cases fairly quickly
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,256 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I would think sand or sandblasting medium would eat up the cases fairly quickly

Not to mention scratching a chamber up if an occasional stray particle or two was left on the case.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,677 Senior Member
    Corncob. If anyone was picking up fired brass, unless it was US, reloading it would be problematical to say the least since almost all is berdan primed.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Combat troops picking up fired brass to reload it? Not bloody likely! They were probably scavenging unfired rounds from dead bodies, or ammo belts buried in sand or mud, etc. and trying to get them clean enough to shoot.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,359 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Have you loaded any of the .50 BMG cases Robert scavenged up for you? Some of that stuff looked a little grungy!
    Jerry

Not yet. I need to get the BIG rotary tumbler finished. It's pushing it to do 20 of those .50BMG cases in a vibratory tumbler!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

2»