.38 Spl snub nose SD ammo?

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,167 Senior Member
That says it all.

I tend toward something bigger, but this is what my friend bought his wife.

That being the case, any SD ammo recommendations?

Mike
Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
KSU Firefighter

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,972 Senior Member
    I carry 129 grain Federal Hydra Shok +p in my Ruger LCR....I've tested them in wet newspaper and am satisfied with their performance....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I carry 129 grain Federal Hydra Shok +p in my Ruger LCR....I've tested them in wet newspaper and am satisfied with their performance....

Thanks. That's exactly what I recommended. But since I don't carry that, I wasn't sure.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,562 Senior Member
    Fed HST 38 Spcl +P

Basically it's a jacketed HBWC loaded backwards.
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/6/23/first-look-federal-premium-hst-micro-38-special-plusp-ammo/

I have it in my 4" 38 that's "stashed" in a convenient place in the house.

I tried some Hornady Critical Defense, and one tumbling when shot though a thin pillow turned me against them.

Here they are for $21/box from Lucky Gunner
    https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-p-130-gr-hst-jhp-personal-defense-micro-federal-20-rounds

Lucky Gunner hasn't tested the HSTs in their lab yet, but they have the Hydra-Shoks, and I'm not impressed by them
    2" test
    https://www.luckygunner.com/federal-38-spl-ammo-for-sale-38specialp129hsjhpfed-20#geltest

They also tested 4" but the link to the results carries you back to the 2" page

DanJ said many years ago that the Hydra-Shoks were prone to clogging, LG's test appears to confirm that

edited to add:
    Here's a link to ALL the 38Spcl ammo they've tested
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Federal's video
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,149 Senior Member
    If the +P ammo turns out to be a problem for the lady there is always this to try:
    This message has been deleted
    Another good load, IMO, is the Speer Gold Dot short barrel load

But then HST and Gold Dots are my #1 and #2 choices for pretty much EVERY handgun

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,594 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    If the +P ammo turns out to be a problem for the lady there is always this to try:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=11677&d=1518991984

I bought a box of this for my wife a few years back. It shoots OK, but she doesn't really "need" it as she's not recoil sensitive with "normal" .38 loads. Full house .357 is a bit much in her snubbie, but we've never tried +P in it - advice?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Thanks, guys.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    zorba wrote: »
    I bought a box of this for my wife a few years back. It shoots OK, but she doesn't really "need" it as she's not recoil sensitive with "normal" .38 loads. Full house .357 is a bit much in her snubbie, but we've never tried +P in it - advice?

All the macho guys are different than little old me.
    I tried +P in a .38 LCR and never again.

Now the gun in question in is an unknown snubby; so, who knows.

Now the gun in question in is an unknown snubby; so, who knows.

S&W 642, laser grip.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,247 Senior Member
    My old Charter Arms Off Duty gets Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shoks. 110gr at a little under 1000fps from a test barrel; recoil feels about the same as a 158gr magnum from my 686.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,739 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    S&W 642, laser grip.

Mike

I have the same gun. I carry 125 grain gold dots +P's. They are a little brisk!!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,131 Senior Member
    My wife carries Hornady 110 gr FTX +P.

That's the first time I've ever saw the ammo mentioned above. It's definitely different.

ETA .. hers is a 442 with Crimson Trace laser grips.
    S&W 642, laser grip.

Mike

It is an ounce heavier than a LCR so who knows what the recoil will be.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    There never was anything wrong with the 158 grain +P lead semi-wadcutter "FBI load", and I believe the Big Three are all still loading their respective versions of it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Hers is a Charter Arms "Mag Pug" snubbie. I shot a cylinder of .357 in it. Although I could tolerate it (rubber grip helps), it wasn't what I'd call fun, and I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Maybe I'll try some +P in it just for kicks, but I'll leave the .357 for my Security Six 4".

Bigslug wrote: »
    There never was anything wrong with the 158 grain +P lead semi-wadcutter "FBI load", and I believe the Big Three are all still loading their respective versions of it.

Thanks, Slug.....that's what I'd carry in that chambering. I just don't want to scare her off the first time she pulls the trigger.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    My wife keeps Federal 110 Grain Hydra-Shok Low Recoil loaded in her HD revolver. She is very recoil sensitive and these are what she chose. But she is shooting them from a 4", not a snubby.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Thanks, Slug.....that's what I'd carry in that chambering. I just don't want to scare her off the first time she pulls the trigger.

Mike

The Winchester "Train and Defend" W38SPLT is their flat nosed 130 grain FMJ that claims 900 fps (probably out of a 4" or 6" tube). Given the noted lack of penetration one commonly gets with HP's at snub velocities, I'd carry that as a low recoil alternative any day of the week.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,732 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

Nuthin wrong with that load. I think I have some bullets left to load some of my own. Speer I believe and they are 158 grain Hollow Point SWCs. The lead bullets are cold swagged coated in some kinda slippery lube.

Hornady makes some too for reloading.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    zorba wrote: »
    Hers is a Charter Arms "Mag Pug" snubbie. I shot a cylinder of .357 in it. Although I could tolerate it (rubber grip helps), it wasn't what I'd call fun, and I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Maybe I'll try some +P in it just for kicks, but I'll leave the .357 for my Security Six 4".

AT 23 oz it should be shoot able with .38 +P.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Another good load, IMO, is the Speer Gold Dot short barrel load

These are unicorns. I don't know if Speer makes them anymore. I have 25 and I wish I had 150 of them.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    At the velocity a snubbie is able to produce, those lightweight flying ash trays might be OK in summertime T shirt weather. If getting through a few layers of winter clothes is needed, I'd pick a heavy hard cast bullet stoked up as hot as the shooter can handle.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    AT 23 oz it should be shoot able with .38 +P.

I'll put it on my list of "things to try".

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,068 Senior Member
    I know that it's kinda against the grain, but I carry plain old 148gr. wadcutters. Great penetration, very mild recoil, about the same expansion as a lot of the HP offerings (that is to say, no expansion whatsoever), but most importantly to me, they hit to point of aim out to 25 yards in basically every short barreled .38 I've run them out of. That's something that a lot of modern defensive rounds don't do.

XxhJ8JJ.jpg
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,068 Senior Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Pretty good video on the "why" of wadcutters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPXDwi7O0jg
    Gonna watch the video later, but one thing I've thought is... why not a 158 gr. LSWC. Makes reloading a bit easier, at moderate velocity recoil's not too bad, cuts a full-caliber wound channel, decent penetration...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 693 Senior Member
    My wife's LCR is loaded with Hornady 110gr FTX Critical Defense. Not the +p variant. I wanted something that would expand at low velocities and when she ran a few cylinders of it through at the range to feel what the SD ammo was like I didn't want to scare the bejeezus out of her. I am sure there are more powerful or efficient rounds out there but I felt that these looked reliable and balanced. I used to run the Speer Gold Dots designed for short barrel revolvers (135gr IIRC) in my Sp101 2.75" .357 mag when I carried that and felt very confident with those, I think I still have some of their big brothers in my Redhawk.

ETA: I remember looking at the "Lite" variant and being a little concerned that we were getting too close to .380 ballistics. I have since looked it up and they list the "Lite" variant as actually having more energy with the 90gr than the standard 110gr does...just something to consider.
    148 gr .38 spl seem to shoot very well even in a revolver that supposedly was made to shoot 158 gr ammo.
    They just have to be tried in a 14 oz revolver to see if the shooter can handle them.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    I carry 158 grain Nyclad's in my model 85 Taurus and Charter undercover. They shoot a little harsh for TKOTCB, so she has 125 grain JSP or JHP's in her Ladysmith........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO