Great range day

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,529 Senior Member
Heavy snow may start soon, so took advantage of above normal temps and set up the steel.

4 pistols: M&P shield and 2.0, 1911's, Springfield 45 acp and GSG .22

I'm a late blooming pistolero and am finally beginning to shoot effectively. We were popping away at a 12" and 8" plate, at 20 yds, and can say that I hit the bigger plate at 90%, with the big bores and 100% with the 22. The small plate, not so much!

The biggest improvement was the 2.0. I hit steel most shots, firing relatively fast.

The 1911 has always been my favorite and most accurate. Shooting 230 gr. Cast hand loads it drives tacks, even with me shooting! Did several magazines with 100% hits.

The shield is my C&C weapon, and I usually shoot it at 10-15 yds. Yesterday I shot it at 20-25, consistantly hitting 5 of 7.

I'm falling in love with pistol shooting. Might need to move on to wheel guns!
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,813 Senior Member
    Very nice! A good single action revolver is a must!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The plates give instant gratification.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,072 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great time
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,281 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    Heavy snow may start soon, so took advantage of above normal temps and set up the steel.

4 pistols: M&P shield and 2.0, 1911's, Springfield 45 acp and GSG .22

I'm a late blooming pistolero and am finally beginning to shoot effectively. We were popping away at a 12" and 8" plate, at 20 yds, and can say that I hit the bigger plate at 90%, with the big bores and 100% with the 22. The small plate, not so much!

The biggest improvement was the 2.0. I hit steel most shots, firing relatively fast.

The 1911 has always been my favorite and most accurate. Shooting 230 gr. Cast hand loads it drives tacks, even with me shooting! Did several magazines with 100% hits.

The shield is my C&C weapon, and I usually shoot it at 10-15 yds. Yesterday I shot it at 20-25, consistantly hitting 5 of 7.

I'm falling in love with pistol shooting. Might need to move on to wheel guns!

Me too, bought my first pistol at 50. No might to it, you need a wheel gun!
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,794 Senior Member
    Me too, bought my first pistol at 50. No might to it, you need a wheel gun!

I'm glad I'm not the only "late bloomer" - 1st pistol at age 52 here. I still am not exactly the Goddess's gift to shooting, but that doesn't really matter. I have a lot of fun trying, like watching and talking with those better than I, and just enjoy the sport all around. Besides, how else would I have met good folks like those here?

I'll join in the enabling - wheel guns are fun!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,529 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    The plates give instant gratification.

That is a fact! No changing targets, walking back and forth, etc.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fun day at the range. Let you know what you and your guns are capable of. :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,489 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good day, wish we had weather to do that.
    I started a little earlier, bought my first revolver in 1969. Still have it along with the receipt. Have bought more over the years and enjoy shooting them along with pistols. Started on those in the 90s.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,029 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only "late bloomer" - 1st pistol at age 52 here. I still am not exactly the Goddess's gift to shooting, but that doesn't really matter. I have a lot of fun trying, like watching and talking with those better than I, and just enjoy the sport all around. Besides, how else would I have met good folks like those here?

I'll join in the enabling - wheel guns are fun!

I don't want to shoot competitive at all anymore. When you get that serious it turns into work. And I don't go out there to work, I'm retired. I like to shoot for enjoyment. I do compete with myself. That's all. I enjoy things when I don't have to worry what the other guy's doing.

And yes, wheel guns are a ton of fun. I just like their design, both single and double actions. I shoot my .357 S&W Model 586 better than any hand gun. I do love my 1911 too. But not quite as much as the 586.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.