.22 LR and wind drift

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Interesting article.

What has been your experiences with wind and firing .22s?

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    pretty much the same stated in the article; some noticeble wind will throw a bullet around 1/2" off the POA. In fact lat weekend a friend of mine went hunting with his semiauto that I had previously sighted; told him not to touch the scope but he insisted of making a few shots in the field before he began hunting and since there was some wind in the area, he was hitting a tad to the right and re-set the scope. Of course a few hours later when wind stopped blowing, he wasn't able to hit a thing unless he compensated for the added "drift".
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    I learned that Subs bucked wind better than supersonics a LONG time ago
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Wind doesnt have any effect ...........cos I dont eat anything that will give me wind before I go to the range.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Wind doesnt have any effect ...........cos I dont eat anything that will give me wind before I go to the range.......

That would be a 'tailwind' and they don't have any effect, anyway. :rotflmao:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    A stanky one might make you lose your breathing control and snarl yer nostrils a bit at the bench and other shooters on the line may not appreciate it either........then again some are so old where I shoot I think many fart every-time they pull the trigger :yikes::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    I've only dabbled at the fringes of International Smallbore, but I doubt a more humbling game exists on Planet Earth. It's sufficiently humbling that they do Prone as a complete game - I suspect largely in deference to the older fellows who physically CAN'T do the straight 40 minutes in the kneeling position. The game is shot at 50 meters at a target with scoring rings about as wide as the bullet, and an X-ring that's actually smaller. In full-on Olympic-level competition where the electronic scoring equipment comes out, they start assigning a decimal point value depending on just how solidly you center on that X-ring.

Unlike Highpower, where you have days or periods where you can pretty much ignore the wind, there ain't no such thing in smallbore. You know that old saying about how the butterfly flapping its wings in Tibet can create a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico? In smallbore, the butterfly flapping his wings on the range might present a real problem.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    That would be a 'tailwind' and they don't have any effect, anyway. :rotflmao:

As long as the direction of the twist is the same, but then he does have to contend with that "hole" Coriolis force and time space continuum, etc!!
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I learned that Subs bucked wind better than supersonics a LONG time ago

That transition from supersonic to subsonic plays havoc on .22 bullets at a much shorter range than heavier calibers. The light weight bullets don't help much either.
    That is if you are shootin HV .22 ammo to start. And I'm sure velocity has a lot to do with it too. Meaning a .22 lr ain't cookin along real fast to start with and as the velocity falls off the wind and bullet drop kick in to some effect.
    People over on Rimfire Central and others can explain it mo better than me.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    People over on Rimfire Central and others can explain it mo better than me.
    I used to be one of the folks over their that DID explain it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,548 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo and I once took our 22LRs along on a pdog shoot just because.

Mine was a seriously accurate 10/22T with 12X Leupold.

While there was a bit of wind, it would have been insignificant to a centerfire till out past 350.

But, while not a strong wind, it was highly variable.

The closest pdog to me was at 110, and I figured piece of cake. 19 shots later, I nailed him. The other 18 shots were upwind, downwind, and not even close enough to spook him.

I think Jerry's results were about the same.

I've not taken a 22LR out on the windy plains again.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter