Hard to believe deer shot.

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,131 Senior Member
Not going to give the video away but be sure to watch til the very end.

I guess it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3uwl5HzzQ

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,988 Senior Member
    Saw that a couple months ago. No, it's NOT possible. He hit the deer in the head. He can say whatever he wants. It didn't happen the way he said it did. I'd wager it exploded the head like a grape, and they didn't want to show it. They could have made up a better story, or not shown it at all.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    May have to try that.

Science!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,138 Senior Member
    Pretty hard to believe. Let us know how your experiment goes, Zee.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Saw that a couple months ago. No, it's NOT possible. He hit the deer in the head. He can say whatever he wants. It didn't happen the way he said it did. I'd wager it exploded the head like a grape, and they didn't want to show it. They could have made up a better story, or not shown it at all.
    I am thinking he hit it through the eye. This guy shot a 50bmg through a house of cards and it didn't even move them. I doubt it is going to suck the eyes out of a deer.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am thinking he hit it through the eye. This guy shot a 50bmg through a house of cards and it didn't even move them. I doubt it is going to suck the eyes out of a deer.
    Exactly. The notion a bullet traveling BY something somehow sucks the innards out of a deers head is stupid.
    Of course I've heard it tell the 50 is capable of that by a gun store employee. I walked away. Also heard it from a guy who was in the army that I used to work for. This was pre YouTube days, hell damn near pre internet days where I couldn't point him to a video like you posted. I told him what he thought he saw, he didn't. He didn't care for that. I didnt really care. Because science.
    Zee
    I just want to shoot a deer with a .50 BMG.

:guns:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,309 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

You need to do that. Use a RAUFOSS round
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,300 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

I'm still waiting for Hornady to come out with TAP - RAUFOSS FPD! "I'd buy that for a dollar."
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,213 Senior Member
    A girlfriend of mine in high school had an older brother who was in Vietnam and he had pictures of deer that they shot with .50's from their helicopters. He said that they would get tired of c-rats at remote bases and shoot deer for fresh meat. Every deer in his pictures had a hole that you could put your arm through. I'm going with CPJ on the exploding head theory and not wanting to post a gory video. The spray from the impact in the video looked like water rather than an explosion of blood and brains that it should be.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

I got API!

:yikes:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,472 Senior Member
    nov29thamp30th2014southhead029_zps5411047f.jpg

Shot with a 222

image1_zps4dbeb48b.jpg

Another 222 shot.

20170903_094240_zps2blhl3cq.jpg

Lets go up a calibre or 2.........7MM08

20170903_094240_zps2blhl3cq.jpg

If photoscrewup would cooperate I could show you others that were shot with a 204.

I dont believe the 'sucked hers eyes out killing her instantly' story. I would believe that by some sheer coincidence the projectile passed through both eye sockets and the pressure caused the contents of the brain cavity to be be blown out her nose/ears.

In all the cases where I have witnessed/shot a deer through the head, the 'spray' has been similar except it has exited via the entry/exit hole that the projectile made through the skull. I would say that if the bullet passed through both eye sockets in the video shown, the pressure would force the skull contents to pass through the line of least resistance which would be the nose/ear cavity as the only thing that separates said contents from 'outside' are thin membranes.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,149 Senior Member
    I agree with cpj----anyway the guy was shooting an armor piercing rnd.
    This message has been deleted
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,562 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I believe you are mistaken NN, looked like a 750gr Hornady Amax. in the 50, they have an aluminum tip

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100191207/hornady-match-ammunition-50-bmg-750-grain-a-max-boat-tail-box-of-10
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

NN wrote: »

It’s a Hornady .50 caliber round with the 750 grain Amax bullet. It is not, to the best of my knowledge, considered armor piercing. I shoot that ammo. It won’t fully penetrate an engine block.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/50-bmg-750-gr-a-max-match#!/
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,300 Senior Member

He did succeed at a few things.............getting clicks on his video, driving traffic and making some money.
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,472 Senior Member
    May have to try that.

Science!!!

It would be very simple to prove/disprove.

Next time you shoot a deer with a heart or lung shot, prop it up so that its head is sitting how a deers head normally sits, then back off 50-100yds and put a 50bmg round 'across its bows' so to speak. If you dont get the same results as the video, put a round through its eye sockets from side to side.

Dont forget the video camera...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,131 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    It would be very simple to prove/disprove.

Next time you shoot a deer with a heart or lung shot, prop it up so that its head is sitting how a deers head normally sits, then back off 50-100yds and put a 50bmg round 'across its bows' so to speak. If you dont get the same results as the video, put a round through its eye sockets from side to side.

That would be a scientific way to prove it. I'd like to see that video too.
    I’ve got one more deer to get this season. But, I’m gonna get it with my new .500 S&W barrel.

I’ll cut the head off a freeze it maybe. Then, thaw and shoot it with the .50 BMG when I get around to it.

A lit lit of work, though. May just wait and shoot one with it next year.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,562 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    then back off 50-100yds and put a 50bmg round 'across its brows' so to speak. If you dont get the same results as the video, put a round through its eye sockets from side to side.

FIFY :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member

There is a big clump of hair flying off....doesn't look like a fly-by to me. You're right cpj, it's a hit.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,131 Senior Member
    At first I thought he hit the backbone or spine. I've seen them drop with a spine shot.
    I’ve got one more deer to get this season. But, I’m gonna get it with my new .500 S&W barrel.

I’ll cut the head off a freeze it maybe. Then, thaw and shoot it with the .50 BMG when I get around to it.

There's no work. Save the head, shoot the head. Film it. Duh. Because SCIENCE!
    Zee
    Slave Driver.
    Slave Driver.
    Your point?
    Let's see. Remember when one guy told another guy he should test bullets in pig parts? Turned out
    Pretty cool. So will proving this video in question is bullcrap, along with exploding the head.
    We've been over this. The sooner you admit I'm right and do as you're told, the easier life will be.
    Zee
    So, you want me to miss it first and then hit it, right?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,722 Senior Member

Quit talking about it, and do it...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,818 Senior Member

At your house, it may get cooked first, label the freezer paper accordingly:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Too bad you cant shoot them ugly black crop wrecking hogs the a big 50.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Too bad you cant shoot them ugly black crop wrecking hogs the a big 50.

Biggest concern is the backdrop. A flat field will skip a .50cal bullet a fare ways. Even after going through a pig.
    Quit talking about it, and do it...

Go shovel snow.