Dianne Feinstein wants age for rifle purchase raised to 21 y.o.

13»

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Raising the age to purchase to 21 does not stop anyone under 21 from owning or possessing any firearms. It only shifts the responsibility of their actions on to whoever supplied them with the weapon (assuming parent or legal guardian in MOST cases) just like it does with other firearms. I’m not against or pro at this point, just wanting to point this out while I think it over, weight the arguments and make up my mind on the subject...

My complaint is that it changes the subject away from actual solutions, which is one of the main goals of Democrats. There are a lot of folks out there trying to have a serious discussion about logical actions that can actually solve this problem. They don't need the POTUS from their own party contributing to that distraction.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    Saw someone other day suggest, why stop at 21? Raise voting age, firearms purchasing age, enlistment age, etc. to 26. You know, when kids have to grow up and get their own insurance....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Then the all important conservative justice everyone was going on about refused to hear a couple of 2A cases.

Yep - that just wets my powder...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    but if it were Pelosi, her statements wouldn't comprise a coherent thought.

Yep - although that wouldn't stop her slavish followers.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Raising the age to purchase to 21 does not stop anyone under 21 from owning or possessing any firearms. It only shifts the responsibility of their actions on to whoever supplied them with the weapon (assuming parent or legal guardian in MOST cases) just like it does with other firearms. I’m not against or pro at this point, just wanting to point this out while I think it over, weight the arguments and make up my mind on the subject...

Except that it will accomplish nothing and goes against the framers writings, ie the second amendment. Milita age starts at 17. And it DOES stop those under 21 from owning and possessing firearms. Not everyone lives in daddys basement or has mummy doing their laundry until 21. A lot of people start adulting at 18 (or less). Reallly. Its true. People act like adults with jobs, apts, and bills all on their own at that tender age. There is no legal guardian or parent who can be held responsible. So anyone who acts like an adult, at an age they should act like an adult, is not a citizen?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Except that it will accomplish nothing and goes against the framers writings, ie the second amendment. Milita age starts at 17. And it DOES stop those under 21 from owning and possessing firearms. Not everyone lives in daddys basement or has mummy doing their laundry until 21. A lot of people start adulting at 18 (or less). Reallly. Its true. People act like adults with jobs, apts, and bills all on their own at that tender age. There is no legal guardian or parent who can be held responsible. So anyone who acts like an adult, at an age they should act like an adult, is not a citizen?

How does that work? My daughter moved out on her own at 19....and while she could not legally buy a handgun from an FFL,it was perfectly legal for her to possess one in her home...one legally provided by her parent....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    I don't think that has been determined yet. Maybe there is something in Feinstein's bill. As of right now, I know that my kids can own long guns as minors but cannot purchase until 18. They may not own handguns until they are 18 and are not allowed to purchase them until they are 21.
    Maybe there is something in Feinstein's bill.

Maybe there is, but they'll have to pass the legislation for us to see what's in it.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Pelosi is senile, or has so few brain cells the Botox hasn't killed that she just spouts gibberish. Case in point- - - -her "mow the grass" statement about border security. Maybe she needs a big Botox injection to paralyze her tongue! The thought of her possibly becoming the House of Representatives majority leader again is horrifying! Where's Carlos Hathcock or Chris Kyle when they're really needed? Oh, yeah, they're dead, and not even the dummycraps can resurrect them on election day! Feinstein is the Nancy Pelosi of the Senate, without the vain addiction to plastic surgery.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    cpj wrote: »
    Because the ONLY place I've gotten info on this topic is here, where does it say possession or ownership of those not 21 isn't legal?

Even if that is the legislation, anyone on his or her own will not be able to purchase any firearm. IF they are allowed to possess, AND their parents gift them one, then they are OK. If their parents dont, then they cant have one. Pretty sure there is more than one member here that came from a non or anti gun home so they would not be allowed to get one as a adult. For you or I to buy it for them is a straw man purchase. Denying the right of an emancipated voting age adult to purchase is denying the right.
    I don't think that has been determined yet. Maybe there is something in Feinstein's bill. As of right now, I know that my kids can own long guns as minors but cannot purchase until 18. They may not own handguns until they are 18 and are not allowed to purchase them until they are 21.
    As long as you purchase them for them.
    Teach wrote: »
    Pelosi is senile, or has so few brain cells the Botox hasn't killed that she just spouts gibberish. Case in point- - - -her "mow the grass" statement about border security.

I'm not against having the grass mowed below the border.
    They can be gifts from uncles, grandparents, etc. as well.
    A long time ago, I gave them 10/22's. A few years back they got "deer" rifles. They got AR's last year. I still need to get them some shotguns and when they turn 18, handguns.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    How does that work? My daughter moved out on her own at 19....and while she could not legally buy a handgun from an FFL,it was perfectly legal for her to possess one in her home...one legally provided by her parent....

And if YOU didnt provide one and the age was 21 for ALL firearms, then she could not own a firearm as a voting age, tax paying, adult with no criminal record until she hit 21.
    A long time ago, I gave them 10/22's. A few years back they got "deer" rifles. They got AR's last year. I still need to get them some shotguns and when they turn 18, handguns.

Your kids. What about everyone else?

Mine are pretty OK. They each have a battle rifle or 2, a AR, a deer rifle, and a promised handgun or two. That wont help the none gun owning neighbors daughter when she moves down town and could really use a 870 behind the door, or his son who wants to deer hunt with his buddies at 19.

EDIT, that is providing the legislation only goes to purchasing also.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Because the ONLY place I've gotten info on this topic is here, where does it say possession or ownership of those not 21 isn't legal?

You're being facetious. Let me 'splain' that to ya. It is ILLEGAL for someone under age to purchase beer, wine, whiskey. It is also ILLEGAL for them to be in POSSESSION of those items. If you're underage, and REALLY lucky, if the cops catch you they'll just confiscate it; unlucky and you get to stay in a gated community overnight with a sweet date with the judge in the morning. See how that works?

The laws concerning that are already in place regarding underage firearms possession. Find a 12 year old and give them your pistol and tell them to walk by a cop on the street holding it in their little Richard Skinner and see how that goes. :roll2: Without an adult actively supervising, it's illegal for a minor to be in possession of a firearm just about everywhere now.

And NONE of that age restriction does ANYTHING to stop the next school shooting. Gangbangers in Chicago and other big cities seem to have no problem obtaining firearms. One guy in Chicago was caught doing 40 straw purchases by the BATFE. He was allowed to plead guilty to ONE COUNT and released on time served. Where's the deterrent in that? He plead guilty to ONE felony count and is barred from purchasing more, but if he wants one, he can easily find someone to sell him one in Chicago.

And I'm still pissed to the max that people I KNOW here on this board are just fine with using 17-21 year old young men as cannon fodder in all these brush wars we find ourselves in, but are also just fine with telling them that they can't legally own firearms for their own self protection, or buy a beer to relax and burn out some of what they just saw. Ever wonder why drug use is a thing in the military? If you can't buy a beer, then you go with what you can get, EASILY. Being in favor of SECOND CLASS CITIZENSHIP is not something I'll EVER be associated with. And make no mistake, THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE ADVOCATING.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Your kids. What about everyone else?
    You can look back in this thread and see that I do not support raising the purchase age. And if it does happen, the least that could be done is to get some concessions for it.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I thought they were talking semi-auto rifles ... trying to catch their holy grails the ARs and AKs mainly ... but using broad wording which could catch a few others out there. Has anything mentioned bolt or lever guns? Shotguns? Rimfire? If those on the right cave to this and the wording is drafted by a DiFi worker the right better watch out bigtime! Can you just see them carefully crafting an opening for “interpretation” a few years down the road?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Now, Trump is considering backing the age 21 legislation. Major screw-up, in my opinion.

We have a lot of good people out there trying to focus on actual problems and solutions, and he stabs them in the back with this BS 'quick fix' that he apparently thinks will win support for him.

He has come out and said that he definitely wants this
    The president said he saw “a great feeling, including at the NRA,” and among legislators of both parties, in favor of action.

Specifically, he endorsed increasing the minimum age, which is currently 18, for buying certain firearms.

“It should all be at 21,” Trump said. “And the NRA will back it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-predicts-nra-will-back-raising-age-limit-gun-purchases-200604955.html
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    NONE of the proposed things will stop the next school shooting. Not one. But the mentally deficient screaming for more gun control will be jumping for joy of any of it passes. And when the next school shooting happens, these same mentally deficient and morally bankrupt liberals will scream for more gun control because the last measures didn't work and more restrictions are now needed on law abiding firearms owners to stop the shootings. And then rinse and repeat.

The fools reject armed people in the schools and are surprised anew when a shooter comes in unchallenged and shoots up the school, or a church, nightclub, concert, movie house, sporting event. If this kind of stupidity was taxable, then there would be no national debt; there would be a HUGE and growing surplus.

How about saving these 4,400 lives per year. This one is a bonehead simple one to stop. It's school bullying causing suicide. CDC stats, so you can't say I cherry picked the source. Maybe making parents of the bullying students more active in their little hellion's behavior modification is in order. Or bringing back the old 'reform schools' and throwing these human wastes of protoplasm in a warehouse with other like minded turds would be a good start.

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/bullying-and-suicide.html

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
    Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
    A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
    10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
    According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

The fools reject armed people in the schools and are surprised anew when a shooter comes in unchallenged and shoots up the school,

Yeah...and then it turns out the armed school resource officer turns out to be a a freaking coward who saw the perpetrator go into the building and "took up a position of cover" ( otherwise known as "hiding") behind a car.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    Local high sheriff has a suggestion: deputize teachers, especially those with a miltary or LE background. All they're there for is defense. Gets around the state's prohibition against guns in school except by LE.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Local high sheriff has a suggestion: deputize teachers, especially those with a miltary or LE background. All they're there for is defense. Gets around the state's prohibition against guns in school except by LE.

There is a reserve deputy I am kinda friends with who is a long time teacher in one of our junior highs ... he was told straight up he was not to bring a firearm on campus under any circumstances. I don’t know if it was the principal or school superintendent or school board ... or possibly sheriff but In his case he is verboten!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yeah...and then it turns out the armed school resource officer turns out to be a a freaking coward who saw the perpetrator go into the building and "took up a position of cover" ( otherwise known as "hiding") behind a car.....

Then train and arm the actual trigger pullers from the sandbox that are holders of Honorable Discharges and looking for work. Train them in the LE aspect and the law. They're already used to dealing with whiny kids (2n LTs) so school admin would be a piece of cake for them to deal with, and they are trained to charge to the sound of gunfire, and can spot a 'shady person' without any problem.

A cop on scene that doesn't attack the attacker with every cartridge he's carrying is a worthless piece of dung. If there was any justice in the system he'd be charged with aiding and abetting a mass shooting due to his failure to engage the shooter.

• NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member

Image may contain 12 people people smiling
13»