Lyman ML recall

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 19,018 Senior Member
Got this in an email from Midsouth Shooters Supply
Products:
This recall includes black powder rifles and pistols regardless of caliber (including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle, Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits, and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models) manufactured from March 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960–A599026 are subject to this recall.
serial number location on black powder pistol
serial number location on black powder pistol
Safety Warning:
Lyman has determined that some black powder rifles and pistols could, under certain circumstances, develop separation in the breech plug, which may pose a potential safety hazard. Please do not load or use any rifles or pistols subject to this recall.
How to Identify Rifles and Pistols Subject to the Recall:
Find the serial number where the barrel meets the tang, opposite of the lock. The serial number has the letter “A” followed by a series of 6 numbers.

Action to be Taken:
If the serial number is within the range of A595960–A599026, immediately discontinue any use of this product. Please contact the Lyman Customer Service Department by emailing [email protected] or by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST. You will be asked to provide your contact information, serial number, and either the part number or model to process the return.
Anyone outside the U.S.A. who is in possession of a black powder rifle or pistol within the recall range should contact your local distributor immediately.

Shipping:
Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barrel and tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes

Sincerely,

Midsouth Shooters Supply
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That sounds serious.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    That sounds serious.
    That's why I posted it. I don't know who all here, or lurkers, have a Lyman ML, but figured I'd get the word out.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Paul, I read that from the Lyman site and they claim that there have been no reported injuries. Every such failure I have seen or even heard of involved putting smokeless powder in a black powder gun. Still, to Lyman's credit, they are volunteering to replace any gun listed with the same or similar one. All of my Lyman guns were manufactured in 2012. Keep yer powder dry............robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    On a BP board I'm on, a shooter did have a failure; I believe it was with a flintlock. The period only covers guns made between Mar 2017 and Dec 2017.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06