Valuation help. please... S&W model 39 no dash

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,802 Senior Member
I have an old S&W model 39 serial # 33xxx alloy / aluminum frame and steel slide. The slide was stripped and is in the white, and the grips a in fair condition. I know they are worth whatever someone will pay for it, but I cannot find any recent gunbroker sales for original model 39's to compare.

Any idea as to value? I have a friend interested in it.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• beanfieldbeanfield Member Posts: 88 Member
    If it's a shooter, I'd guess $300 for pistol with two mags and case. A really nice one goes for $500+.
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 311 Member
    Shame about the condition...if it really is a steel frame. Deserves to be restored, professionally.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/175703-s-w-39-steel-frame.html
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member
    Correction, it is an aluminum / alloy frame. It is non magnetic.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    I've got one that's utterly reliable and very accurate. They did make a very limited number of steel frames IIRC which are very valuable. Maybe they made them for the USAF? Mine was in poor shape and I had it cerakoated. Looks better and shoots fine.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,428 Senior Member
    From googling forums and such, I would estimate the worth at around $250 in that condition with an alloy frame. That is a somewhat, but not really, educated guess....:jester:
    Mine is a 39-2, which has the shorter extractor than the original 39.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    So would I. Very accurate pistol for EDC.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,428 Senior Member
    I was seeing them suggested at $500 for a 90% alloy frame gun with no box, paperwork or tools. Over $700 for all steel.