Trump orders ban of bumpstocks

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,785 Senior Member
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/20/trump-urges-ban-on-bump-stocks-other-gun-modifiers.html
President Trump on Tuesday directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to craft new regulations to ban firearm modifiers including the “bump stock” used in the Las Vegas massacre, amid bipartisan calls to strengthen gun laws in the wake of recent shooting rampages.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    Yep. He stepped on my 3rd rail. Not a big fan in the first place, but that's done it for me.

Same as when GW said he would sign an AW ban extension.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    After all the publicity they got after the LV shooting, I'm surprised it took this long
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    Here's my feelings on the issue, posted here:

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?35682-Dianne-Feinstein-wants-age-for-rifle-purchase-raised-to-21-y-o&p=723049&viewfull=1#post723049
    A few things about POTUS's announcement, which read in part:

“Just a few moments ago, I signed a memorandum directing the attorney general to propose regulations to ban all devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns,”

1. He's directing the Justice Department to do a review of regulations. This is not a legislative solution, but one of those decisions made by unelected officials that used to get folks riled up.
    2. He wants to be the regulations against, in his words, against "all devices." That's danged open-ended, and as some have pointed out could include "high capacity" magazines, lighter triggers, or anything else that might allow you to have a higher rate of fire. He's NOT advocating for a ban on bump stocks, but rather is so open ended other stuff could be lost through collateral damage.
    3. He's wanting them to regulate items that "turn legal weapons into machine guns.” That's a regulative redefinition of previously existing legislation (Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 via the Hughes Amendment.0 Separation of powers, much?

I remember when the POTUS was running, a few of us here (myself included) suggested that if there was a tragedy he might push for legislation or regulations that would infringe on our rights, but at the same time really do nothing. We pointed out that then-candidate Trump had called for increased regulation on "assault weapons" and maybe even an outright ban, but were told not to worry.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    After all the publicity they got after the LV shooting, I'm surprised it took this long

I think he ordered them to start re-evaluating it months ago and just signed another memo demanding that the ATF do something about them more quickly. As reported in the other thread he's also pushing for raising the national age for buying any rifles to 21. I know lots of people said it, but Trump is way more dangerous to our 2A rights than Obama ever was. While Obama wanted way more, he was never going to get anywhere because Republicans would block him. Trump on the other hand has the power to convince Republicans to go along with his plans and enough of them will do it like the good little lap dogs they are.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    While you have a fair point, please don't exclude democrats from your lap dog moniker.

Here is the thing, a lot of democrats want gun control, but as long as it's only democrats they'll never get it. We had Obama for 8 years and a Democratic super majority for at least 2 of those years and no gun control got passed. Now we have Republicans controlling the presidency and both sides of congress and we have a republican president pushing for gun control, and he may get it. All it takes is 40 republican senators to block any gun control democrats ever want to pass, but if a Republican president proposes something he can pretty much count on most Democratic votes and only needs to convince a handful of Republicans to join them to get legislation passed. This is the reason I always thought Trump was more of a risk on gun control than Clinton ever was. If Clinton was president and proposed these things there would be less than a 1% chance any of them would pass. With Trump in office the odds are significantly higher. Maybe not a sure thing, but WAY higher. That said, I also think Trump is going to get slapped pretty hard by his base on this and we'll see him back down before much actually gets passed. At least I hope so.
    -DoctorWho
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't think getting slapped by his base will matter. I give him a one percent chance of being elected a second term, even IF he gave his base free anmo for life. There will be a turnout like you've never seen against him next election cycle. Of course ther may be a increase in folks who vote for him too. But I don't think it will be big enough.

I want you to be right, but I don't think you are. I think there are plenty who will excuse this as "The price of doing business" or will wonder how he was able to hold out this long.... because Hillary.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Bump stocks are a toy that is a aftermarket addition to make a semi into a quasi full auto. It is a blatant end around on the regulation and anyone who expected them to hang around was fooling themselves. They were gone the day they went on the market and losing them is NOT losing a constitutional right or at least not losing any more of one than not being allowed to have a full auto is.

As to making the age to own a rifle 21, that is a infringement on citizens and a direct impingement on the right to keep and bear arms. No go.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    Bump stocks are a toy that is a aftermarket addition to make a semi into a quasi full auto. It is a blatant end around on the regulation and anyone who expected them to hang around was fooling themselves. They were gone the day they went on the market and losing them is NOT losing a constitutional right or at least not losing any more of one than not being allowed to have a full auto is.

As to making the age to own a rifle 21, that is a infringement on citizens and a direct impingement on the right to keep and bear arms. No go.
    Agreed on all counts. While I can see making the age to purchase/own an AR/AK/mag-fed semiauto as something that might be held up legally (I don't like it, but I can see it being upheld,) making 21 the age for own/purchase a rifle or any long gun is just infringement.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,192 Senior Member
    My belief is that ANY infringement will promote further infringements. I guess the other 99 yahoos and I might not support Trump the next time around. It all depends on what they do in the next 3 years.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    This just in.
    These devices are already recently banned here. Denver's finest offered their stations as places to conveniently surrender these newly outlawed contraband. As of today, no one has taken advantage of this generous offer.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    The powers that be haven't discovered the binary triggers............yet.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.