Trump pimping for gun control

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,729 Senior Member
f2b3265c9fa067429fdd911d596d7a8b.jpg
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Guess he's a politician now.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Who's going to be first to say "well, just think what would have happened if Hilary got elected!"

I don't know, but I'll be the first to say that there wouldn't be a bunch of Republicans lining up with brown noses fighting over each other to see who could "support" him the strongest
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Who's going to be first to say "well, just think what would have happened if Hilary got elected!"

If Hiliary had gotten elected, they'd have been banned after Las Vegas! Which was probably a false flag operation!

Edited to add: Ted Cruz used his Cuban connections to organize the operation!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Lets see how many democrats oppose this because Trump said it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    If Hiliary had gotten elected, they'd have been banned after Las Vegas! Which was probably a false flag operation!
    My theory is had she been elected, Republicans would have fiercely blocked it on the premise that she supports it. But now that we have a Republican president that has no issues with gun control, it gives the rest of the Republicans cover to sell us out.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Please tell me that you, collectively didn't expect that something was going to happen on the gun control issue....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Please tell me that you, collectively didn't expect that something was going to happen on the gun control issue....
    Oh, I figured it would happen. I've said it before, that I thought that if a schools shooting happened, that legislation or proposals would roll out. Furthermore, I said I figured Pres. Trump would support the legislation.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Stupidity and mental illness on the Left being rampant, and infecting the Right at a high rate, I'm totally NOT surprised that something is going to pass. I really wish for one thing to pass, and that is that the whole of Congress, and all Democrats/Liberals would pass out the International Flight gates at the airports and land in Somalia, Nigeria, and other garden spots of the planet, and stay there.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    Oh, I figured it would happen. I've said it before, that I thought that if a schools shooting happened, that legislation or proposals would roll out. Furthermore, I said I figured Pres. Trump would support the legislation.
    Yep. This isn't a recent revelation to me. It was a done deal in the 2016 primaries.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,729 Senior Member
    I always knew Trump would sign any gun control bill in front of him. The GOP faithful will tell me he’ll never see a bill to sign so his statement is for gaining Dem support. Same as Bush saying he’d sign a renewed AWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayn Rand
    Jermanator wrote: »
    My theory is had she been elected, Republicans would have fiercely blocked it on the premise that she supports it. But now that we have a Republican president that has no issues with gun control, it gives the rest of the Republicans cover to sell us out.
    1,000 times this. A Republican could never support a gun control measure pushed by Hilary and get re-elected, but now those same Republicans can do so openly as "supporting the president" and "participating in bipartisan solutions".
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    Well, he is the greatest deal maker of all times... so... what do WE get?

I mean, besides screwed. :roll:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,922 Senior Member
    He could have at least traded bump stocks for silencers.
    He could have at least traded bump stocks for silencers.

He could have done lots of things... he CHOSE to do this.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Well, he is the greatest deal maker of all times... so... what do WE get?

I mean, besides screwed. :roll:
    Oh, we were supposed to get something else too :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Oh, we were supposed to get something else too :uhm:

This is year one. I'm sure we'll be getting "something else" soon enough. You and I and other gun owners will have ample opportunity to "compromise" some more before this is all done. We'll be compromising all over the place... :roll:

We just need to remember, this is what conservatism looks like... and, it would have been so much worse with Hillary.
    George Carlin
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Oh and if you are a President to ALL Americans and all your information says that by a great majority most folks support a raising of the age to buy an AR to 21 and tighter background checks. Would you just ignore that so you can make happy a small minority?
    If that action trumps the rights of another, I'd say you would be honor-bound to ignore the majority that wants to trample the minority. Because Constitution, rights, Republic...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    He's been smart to respond to public demand, and I'm somewhat impressed with the effort. Thing is, like most politicians running to appease with knee jerk, feel good measures, it's way more show than go. No worse than anyone else in politics, and probly better than many.

Edit
    And if the spin artist media don't editorialize some of the efforts by the POTUS in a positive light, the whole country will see their gluteus maximus.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    SCOTUS has already ruled that reasonable regulation of rights is permitted. "Reasonable" is defined by the majority of the population based on culture and current thinking.
    I'm just going to parse this out because this is the part I have the problem with. Not with you, but the part I have a problem with.

So... the majority gets to decide what's reasonable? Doesn't that run counter to the very nature of a Republic and the whole idea of rights? I can buy restrictions based on a demonstrated, tangible danger (see not allowing those adjudicated as mentally unstable being disallowed of having firearms, religions that practice child marriage, or hate speech that has been demonstrated to actually incite violence.) But because folks don't like something, restricting of rights isn't a valid excuse. There needs to be a demonstrable public danger. A high danger, not just that something might cause harm.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Since most folks failed miserably at cristal ball reading before the election allow me to put little faith on forum predictions

Uhh.. I'm pretty sure a bunch of us predicted that he would support gun control if it came down to it. I did not need a crystal ball on that, I just listened to what he said the FIRST time he ran for president.

He is supporting gun control. That's my political 3rd rail. I lost faith in GWB when he said he would sign any gun control that came to his desk, and I have lost hope in Trump (since I really did not have faith in him in the first place). I was a reluctant supporter before, but not any more.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    It also highlights how they don't seem to be able to read or listen. Pres. Trump is only suggesting we arm the teachers who are willing. So these two teachers would be unarmed....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I posted about this in a thread two or three days ago, when he first said it, and nobody gave it a second thought, until CaliFFL posted it with giant sized text and a more radical criticism. So, I think it is safe to say that most folks here have reactionary reflexes, just like Trump, and make statements they may later quietly retract. I have jumped to a lot of conclusions about Trump, and this one is no exception. But I've heard his views in full context, now, and I'm not so sure that he feels that strongly about the age 21 thing.

Personally, I am trying not to come unglued every time Trump makes a controversial statement. It's best just to wait until everything settles down and we see what he actually does. Most of that ends up being about right, so far. I'm hoping that he will let the age 21 requirement idea just fade away, after more discussion with people like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, who he usually gets around to discussing Constitutional related things with, when the media cycle moves off in another direction.
    #1 Squeaky wheel and all :tooth:
    #2 This, trying to guess where Trump (or anyone for that matter) is headed during a negotiation is the fastest way to lose your mind and in business it's the sure way to lose a deal. When negotiating you focus only your goals and end results. Everything in the middle is just dancing...
    But he's not just negotiating with Democrats and the media, he's negotiating with us too and trying to see how far we will let him go as well. The voices of gun owners and his Republican base are just as important as the voices of Democrats and teachers and victims. A large portion of the political capital he has comes from his base and it is dangerous politically to ignore them. I'm not saying he is, but he needs to hear the opinions of 2A supporters as well. They don't generally forget or forgive those who threaten their rights.
    -DoctorWho
    But he's not just negotiating with Democrats and the media, he's negotiating with us too and trying to see how far we will let him go as well. The voices of gun owners and his Republican base are just as important as the voices of Democrats and teachers and victims. A large portion of the political capital he has comes from his base and it is dangerous politically to ignore them. I'm not saying he is, but he needs to hear the opinions of 2A supporters as well. They don't generally forget or forgive those who threaten their rights.

I agree with this, for the most part - not unlike Bill Clinton's habit of putting up 'trial balloons,' and backing off when the don't get any 'traction.'
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    He said comprehensive background checks with an emphasis on mental health. He never said "universal" background checks and there is a big difference there, he has specifically talked about information sharing between agencies so that people that are barred from purchasing are actually denied, unlike the Texas church shooter. The only thing he's said that is different than what the NRA has been backing for years is the age limit thing, and I for one, strongly disagree with him on that. That is just another tactic in the school of "nudge" to make it harder for people to use their rights, just another bite at the apple to keep pushing.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,533 Senior Member
    He hasnt "done" much yet. except enter into a negotiation that he didnt have to. So The act of doing that means he is willing to appease (not compromise).

Either way, its wait and see. He was never a 2A supporter and nothing has changed about that. He has always been the big guy is right if it feels good, so I am not holding out a lot of hope. Maybe he was talked into giving up bump stocks and the rest is show.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    compromise: verb. An agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

The above is the definition of a compromise according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Name ONE TIME, ONE TIME the gun grabbers have EVER given anything in return for their taking. Just ONE TIME we gun owners got something of equal value in return. JUST ONE TIME! I'll wait.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

tennmike wrote: »
    compromise: verb. An agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

The above is the definition of a compromise according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Name ONE TIME, ONE TIME the gun grabbers have EVER given anything in return for their taking. Just ONE TIME we gun owners got something of equal value in return. JUST ONE TIME! I'll wait.

"Compromise" for gun rights supporters is nothing more than acquiesce a piece what you currently have, to avoid losing more now. We'll come for the rest a little bit later.

Ayn Rand
    bisley wrote: »
    I posted about this in a thread two or three days ago, when he first said it, and nobody gave it a second thought, until CaliFFL posted it with giant sized text and a more radical criticism.

1. I didn't see your previous post
    2. My giant sized text was only a screen shot of Trump's tweet.
    3. You need to learn how to sell the story. If one of us here (other than me) called their reps because of my "radical criticism", then mission accomplished.

Ayn Rand
    I wasn't trying to sell the story, and I don't need to call my reps because they agree with my opinion already.

Also, I wasn't attacking you - just pointing out that a lot of folks with strong opinions don't even keep up with the facts.