So are you stocking up on ARs/Ammo/parts/mags

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,982 Senior Member
If you don't own an AR and want one I guess it may be the time to get one. I have no idy where the current hysteria will lead or what laws they may pass. The 'Zumbo Moments' are coming from folks who outta know better like the FLA GOV Scott and LTC retired Ralph Peters (Fox news contributor...) who said he wrote an article with guns on his desk and owns many, but those ARs are built for killing only.............

I though about buying one or two assembled just to have like a S&W Sport/Ruger 556/others, but then I think why......then why not. Then I thought about buying stripped receivers which can be had fer $39 (Anderson at RK on sale) bucks up and doing a Johnny Cash 'One piece at a time' build/assemble on them. Or complete uppers and lowers, but a factory complete one would be ready to outta the box.

To what end, I dunno. I surely wouldn't do it to sell them at a profit later if/when they are few for sale or worst case scenario... none. In fact the last gun I'd ever sell in a private transaction would be an AR which is still legal in FLA.

Keep one or more NIB/stored in case yours wears out?

Maybe stocking up on mags and some ammo isn't a bad idy if you have any of those "Weapons of War" already. I reload for .223/5.56 as well.

Ammo like Federal .223/5.56/IMI and many others is available for decent prices as are 30 rd mags.

So what level of supply O/H are you comfortable with for your personal use?

If money were were no object and your gun fund was flush and you could easily spend 2 or 3 grand or more on ARs, stuff (like ammo/mags/parts/kits/lowers) what would you buy?

Would you upgrade what you have with high speed accessories/scopes or buy new rifles?

If you were to buy an extra one just to keep unfired/NIB for when the :fan: /Zombie attack, whatever ready to go in your safe for a rainy day, which make/ model would it be? Which one do you have high confidence in that it will work if all you do is give it a function check/look over and not shoot it or if you do just a mag or so?

Just curious what your thoughts are. If not you personally, what about "A Friend" who is knowledgeable about ARs, what would he advise?
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    I AM NOT trying to initiate or predict a panic in any way shape or form, there is no evidence of that that I can see going on right now. Nor am I clairvoyant and can read the future. I do watch the news and the gun grabbing madness is overwhelming like I've never seen before, that's all.

I think the scalpers are salivating, waiting for the worse... just like with .22 ammo a few years ago..................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,665 Senior Member
    Nope.

Only purchases I have planned have been in the works for months
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Don't have one, and don't plan to. Besides, SKS, M1, 10/22 are just as much fun.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    I did a little buying before the 2016 election. I don't "need" any more but if prices skyrocket, I would sell a couple. The ones I would keep are the two Sigs, the Wilson Combat, the RRA 9mm, and my Spikes/Colt/Walther long range/target. I have a couple of "pre 94 ban" units that I have been holding that might go up for sale soon though.
    ETA: I would also keep my SBR. :usa:

If I didn't have any, I would at least buy two stripped lowers just in case the politicians get crazy and production for civilians is stopped like they did with the sub guns. You can always get your money back with todays low prices, if you decide not to build anything (they are habit forming) and no legislation is passed.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
    I was planning on building a 6.5 Grendel AR. Looks like the buying has all ready set in. Not many complete lowers in stock at the usual web stores. BCG are scarce. Some of the prices I'm seeing have gone up since I was looking at them a few weeks ago. PSA has a lot of stuff out of stock.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    I've actually started shooting more .223 since I bought my MVP so I might pick up some more ammo because of that and if I bought more magazines, they would be the shorter twenty round ones for the MVP.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I know Colt brands bring more $$$$, are they worth the difference or with the quality out there these days in many other makes, is it a moot point?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    Picked up a couple of stripped lowers. Will get a few more 30 rounders.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Nope, sold my AR last month, only need .223 ammo for a bolt gun and single shot
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    If I had a few thousand dollars to invest, I'd be buying up every 80% lower I could lay hands on. No paper trail and the machining ability to complete those things could be a definite advantage if or when the gun grabbing begins. Ditto for AK sheet metal kits and the plans/jigs to turn them into un-numbered receivers.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I know Colt brands bring more $$$$, are they worth the difference or with the quality out there these days in many other makes, is it a moot point?

IMO, yes. They and FN are the keepers of the actual mil specs. This is not to say that there aren't good rifles out there, but those two are going to contain all the little production tricks based on what was learned from field failures from Vietnam to present. They're being made under the same checklists that allow military-employed inspectors to reject BIG piles of M4's & A4's based on defects found during examination of a single randomly selected rifle, so they get a bit more structured scrutiny before being kicked out the door.

If you're thinking long term, one of those rifles, plus a factory lower parts kit, spare firing pins, bolt, gas rings, and buffer spring will keep one going a LONG time if you're diligent with your cleaning & generous with your lube.

As to the obsession of stocking up on AR's and their components like it's the only rifle platform in existence, and as if the past wood and steel (REALLY durable steel) tools of the trade are somehow invalid - THAT I don't get. Now is probably the time to stock up on parts for those rifles, while they're no longer "cool".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    No, I've got what I need, with hand loading components that are more than sufficient. I buy factory SD ammo, when there's a good deal, like the 64 gr. and 75 gr. Gold Dots that Palmetto had for awhile, but other than that, there's nothing else I want in the AR category.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    This too shall pass. Probably end up with a few tighter rules of entry.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    That said I do have my eye on a 6.5 Grendel AR Stoner barrel.
    Heck, I've been poking around here and there all morn...........what I really need to do is get back to full length resizing a coffee can full of military brass and then some commercial stuff and getting out my RCBS Universal trimmer to trim and prep, priming them and pondering what my next batch of reloads will be. Well some 69 grain SMKs are on the way and those for sure and after that, I dunno.

Good to have some brass all cleaned/prepped/primed and ready to go, but it is a mundane process getting there.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    No, I started quietly accumulating supplies and components in January of 2009. I might splurge on a .357 levergun when I get my bonus next month, but otherwise I’m good.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I have one Savage MSR 15 with two 30 round magazines. The only thing I plan on buying is a single 10 round magazine and that is only because a 10 round is a better fit for how it gets used at the range. Also, if I ever get around to hog hunting, my son will use that rifle and there is no need for a 30 round magazine for that application. I do, however keep both 30 round magazines loaded at the house for defense purposes. My tastes tend to run more towards traditional walnut stock rifles. The one MSR 15 and VEPR-12 that I have fulfill the tiny itch I had for that style of firearm and I do not need any more.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I recently lost all mine in a boating accident in 2000 feet of water off the Florida coast...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Receivers and complete rifles? Probably not unless I find a BCM lower to match my upper. Parts? Possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    From a pure machining /manufacturing standpoint that's utter horse crap. A spec is a spec is a spec. I seriously doubt the bowels of those companies is the only place it resides. And guess what? If it is....measure their product.
    If something is required to be 1"X11"X14.2393938383 ", then you make it that way. There's no magic involved.

Note I also said "checklists", and would also add "processes". Does manufacturer X Parkerize their barrels and front sight blocks separately, or after assembly, leaving raw, rustable steel against which water will creep and cause speedier rust when subjected to repeated heating/cooling cycles? Does manufacturer X check to make sure the takedown and safety detents actually "pop" into their respective sockets, or do they just assume there are no burrs preventing that? Do they stake the rear stock castle nuts or just torque them down and hope they don't work loose?

Little stuff, and it costs in time which costs in money, but which would you rather have? Fertilize your own lawn with the horse crap you will.:wink:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    Like Johnny Cash said in "One Piece At A Time"- - - - -"Now, gettin' caught meant gettin' fired- - - - - " There are probably more teachers who go to school armed every day than a lot of us realize. They do so for two reasons- - - -to be able to survive one of these situations to be able to deal with the possible repercussions of their actions, but more importantly, they probably ignore the "no gun zone" rules to be able to make a last-ditch effort to protect the kids they teach. Once, when what I considered to be a credible threat existed, I was armed at school. Did I care that I was placing my career in jepoardy? Yes, but the circumstances demanded that I take the risk!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Not trying to panic buy, but I won’t wait long to get the AR that I was planning to get. Having just fled a state with a magazine capacity and AR ban, it is good to be in a free state.

1). Once I get my Texas DL, I’ll get a Ruger or Stag Arms AR.

2) I have an Anderson Stripped Lower and some Glock 9mm normal capacity mags coming.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    I lucked into a used bushmaster a couple weeks ago that had a friendly price. It came home with me , so I might buy a couple magazines. The 30 rounders are inconvenient for field shooting (to me anyway) I dont need more than a ten round to pack around for calling. There have been occasional situations when five rounds have not been enough. I bought a ten round and a twenty for the ranch rifle shortly after a couple events left me with no more bullets to use. When three coyotes come out running to you all together and you are alone it doesnt take long to burn them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I traded away all but 2 carbines and my Grendel (the Odumba/Hildabeast scares) when people were going stupid for ARs ... and haven’t missed them. I do have a Spikes stripped lower somewhere from years back but no plans on adding any complete carbines. I am going to refill my parts drawers though ... put in some replacement barrels, a couple complete BCGs & spare bolts, top off the innards and springs plus extra mag rebuild kits. I’ll have enough parts to keep what I do have for my life and hopefully my kid’s.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I ordered 3 more 40 round PMags last weekend just because they were on sale and it met the $50 free shipping deal from Brownells.

Otherwise, no.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,771 Senior Member
    I have something better than the AR 80% lower kits which might dry up shortly. It's the complete drawing set for the AR lower, and a complete set of working drawings for a welded steel lower receiver for the AR. And complete working drawing sets for a lot of other firearms. Like Will Rogers said, "Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier 'n' puttin' it back in."

Got my magazines I ordered from PSA this week. I'm good on most stuff. I need to order some barrel blanks, just in case.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I started using the Fbook as a gun buying tool YEARS ago.....Watching the boards for AR's in Columbus/Ft Benning GA after the Tax money or Hazard pay ran out and took advantage of a couple of those posts.....So If the grab ever did take place I would gladly give up the two guns I found for sale....
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    I have been thinking about getting a couple stripped lowers but so far that's about it.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    No need if it becomes a problem they will come for them anyway
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    No need if it becomes a problem they will come for them anyway

Just stock up on Geritol Ned, they may say you can't buy it and own guns too :jester: