Got one I have wanted for awhile and a couple more unexpected.

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 10,940 Senior Member

Browning SA-22 .22LR breakdown with Grade I wood.

CDNN had them on sale for $450 and then Browning had a rebate of $75, so just under $400 with the shipping and my reloading mentors BIL did the FFL transfer for a case of Coors Light. Just got a foot of snow the past few days so no range report yet. Had a high school buddy with one of these while we were in high school and was quite enamored with this gun, just not the $600 price tag I would usually see on them, $400 was much more palatable so I finally talked myself into one right after Christmas.

Went to a National Wild Turkey Federation banquet tonight and ended up with a T/C Dimension in .243
https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/dimension/complete-rifles/

and a Remington 783 in 7MM Rem Mag
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-783/model-783-scoped

Both rifles were on clearance from my LGS so I only have $200 of in store credit on each of the guns I "won" for a total of $400. I am in need of another lefty rifle for son #4 or upgrade son #3's lefty Savage .308 rifle and do a hand me down of the Savage to son #4. Or, son #3 showed a dislike for shooting right handed semi-auto's pheasant hunting this year, so put $400 towards a lefty Semi-auto 12 ga.. I do not have a 7mm Mag, I do have a .243 I like.

Suggestions?
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    Forgot, I "won" a FoxPro Deadbone caller too
    https://www.gofoxpro.com/site/products/digital-calls/deadbone

Keep it or sell it, I do not have a caller, hopefully will be hunting Timber Wolves this year again.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    "Sell" both. Neither are guns to brag about. Upgrade son #3 or go shotgun. He'd probably get more use from the shotgun. 1 big gane season vs lots of bird shooting
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,771 Senior Member
    First of all awesome on the Browning.
    Second I don't know if I'd have done that store credit....Never mind........ I wouldn't have.
    Third I think it's spectacular you have to worry about so many guns for the kids......keep up the great work there.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Congrats :guns: :guns: :guns: , especially on the Browning. They are sweet little .22s

I know nothing about the other two makes/models, but ain't nuthin wrong with the calibers.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,627 Senior Member
    Kids need guns. Good job.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Forgot, I "won" a FoxPro Deadbone caller too
    https://www.gofoxpro.com/site/products/digital-calls/deadbone

Keep it or sell it, I do not have a caller, hopefully will be hunting Timber Wolves this year again.

Maybe sell the caller to a good friend who brings you beer?
    "Sell" both. Neither are guns to brag about. Upgrade son #3 or go shotgun. He'd probably get more use from the shotgun. 1 big gane season vs lots of bird shooting

I am leaning towards a Benelli pretty hard, at least the design, might try to sell them outright, I need to see what Walmart gets for them.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    First of all awesome on the Browning.
    Second I don't know if I'd have done that store credit....Never mind........ I wouldn't have.
    Third I think it's spectacular you have to worry about so many guns for the kids......keep up the great work there.

So sell them?
    Zee wrote: »
    Kids need guns. Good job.

Made the mistake of buying right handed rifles when they were little and the wife birthed a couple of lefty's, the Browning is a bottom ejector so I am buying ambidextrous guns now.
    Maybe sell the caller to a good friend who brings you beer?

I probably should, my "coyote" rifle has never seen a day in the field, might need to borrow it if MN starts issuing wolf tags again.

I ALMOST got my wolf rug back last weekend, had to have the cops discuss theft by swindle with the taxidermist, lit a fire under his rear, I think, unless he is lying some more.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Congrats :guns: :guns: :guns: , especially on the Browning. They are sweet little .22s

I know nothing about the other two makes/models, but ain't nuthin wrong with the calibers.

Have you had one in the past Chief?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,771 Senior Member
    So sell them?

Don't have a local forum you could flip them on for more ? Quite a bit more
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Don't have a local forum you could flip them on for more ? Quite a bit more

Local news print shopper or a general local selling site only, DeanC is on a couple in the Twin Cities, might have him lend a hand, I gave him first dibs on either at $200, he declined.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Have you had one in the past Chief?

A family member had one (Browning) in the 60s and it was fun as all get out to shoot.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    I am leaning towards a Benelli pretty hard, at least the design, might try to sell them outright, I need to see what Walmart gets for them.

I like the sporting Benellis I have dabbled with quite a bit, what with not having a gas system and accompanying parts up front. Makes for a "front-light" feel that I prefer in shotguns, as well as REALLY simple maintenance. The bolt is pretty similar to that of an AR, but with none of the icky carbon scrubbing. As I recall, they chrome plate the bores too, so pretty easy removal of wad goobers.

Nice score on the Browning. Odd. . .but I don't think I've ever shot one of those. Just like the Winchester 63 I scored last year, the thought that a manufacturer would put that kind of effort into making a .22 plinker with no provision for optics makes me smile.:cool2:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Pretty one in the pic
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    I probably should, my "coyote" rifle has never seen a day in the field, might need to borrow it if MN starts issuing wolf tags again.

I ALMOST got my wolf rug back last weekend, had to have the cops discuss theft by swindle with the taxidermist, lit a fire under his rear, I think, unless he is lying some more.

Sounds like you need a new taxidermist.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I like the sporting Benellis I have dabbled with quite a bit, what with not having a gas system and accompanying parts up front. Makes for a "front-light" feel that I prefer in shotguns, as well as REALLY simple maintenance. The bolt is pretty similar to that of an AR, but with none of the icky carbon scrubbing. As I recall, they chrome plate the bores too, so pretty easy removal of wad goobers.

Nice score on the Browning. Odd. . .but I don't think I've ever shot one of those. Just like the Winchester 63 I scored last year, the thought that a manufacturer would put that kind of effort into making a .22 plinker with no provision for optics makes me smile.:cool2:

:yikes:A Browning design you have not shot?! It is tapped for a scope...... I have Rugers for that.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That Browning is freaking gorgeous!
    NN wrote: »
    Pretty one in the pic

I was a bit nervous about the Grade I thing, never know what your are going to get, I think it looks nice too.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a new taxidermist.

He is already my former taxidermist.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That one deserves a special carry case.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,672 Senior Member
    Sounds GREAT
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    early wrote: »
    That one deserves a special carry case.

Yes, I have resigned myself to it getting dinged by the kids, but this is how we learn.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Sounds GREAT

Thanks, hopefully the takedown is not an accuracy killer.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    I'd get the shotgun....can't explain why. Friend of mine is left-handed and learned since young to shoot right-handed, but as soon as rifles proper rifles became available, he enjoys shooting them more than "conventional" ones.

Very nice SA-22; I inherited an old but mint FN-made one and found that although take-down, it's a lot better to left them assembled with the regulator nut as tight as possible or otherwise barrel will flop with every shot (Flimsy system by the way.....the Winchester 1906's and the 10/22's are A LOT sturdier).
    For me it's an open-sight rifle, and it's usually surprisingly accurate with the factory ones; scoping it can be a tad frustrating specially if rested in the handguard since you might get a shifting POI (Even worse if you take it apart). Mine runs OK with almost all ammo except the Wichester 333/555 bulk HV rounds, which will usually FTF.
    Be careful when removing the wood handguard since a wee spring is contained in the rear side to allow the take-down lock to work.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    :yikes:A Browning design you have not shot?! . . .

Yes well, I haven't managed to punch the M1917 water-cooled chad either. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Antonio wrote: »
    I'd get the shotgun....can't explain why. Friend of mine is left-handed and learned since young to shoot right-handed, but as soon as rifles proper rifles became available, he enjoys shooting them more than "conventional" ones.

Very nice SA-22; I inherited an old but mint FN-made one and found that although take-down, it's a lot better to left them assembled with the regulator nut as tight as possible or otherwise barrel will flop with every shot (Flimsy system by the way.....the Winchester 1906's and the 10/22's are A LOT sturdier).
    For me it's an open-sight rifle, and it's usually surprisingly accurate with the factory ones; scoping it can be a tad frustrating specially if rested in the handguard since you might get a shifting POI (Even worse if you take it apart). Mine runs OK with almost all ammo except the Wichester 333/555 bulk HV rounds, which will usually FTF.
    Be careful when removing the wood handguard since a wee spring is contained in the rear side to allow the take-down lock to work.

The barrel and fore stock have some wiggle for sure, I fiddled with the tension on the locking nut and I could not get the barrel back on so I backed it off to where it was until I get out to the range. Thanks for the info on the ammo, I will dig in the stash for everything I have anyway, we will see. I don't see putting a scope on it, comes up to the shoulder too nice and we will be at poplar slashings and cedar/red willow brush distances anyway, just keep pulling the trigger.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Yes well, I haven't managed to punch the M1917 water-cooled chad either. . .

Ha! Both ends of the Browning spectrum, go dig in the dept.'s evidence vault.
    cpj wrote: »
    No.
    They have their own stuff to destroy. It's ok to have things they don't get to mess with till you're dead.

4 Boys=Plausible Deniability
    I wrecked a bunch of my dads stuff and no one to blame but myself. I have dinged most of my own, if you hunt hard crap is going to happen.

Just this week I had to fix the drawer stops in the bathroom vanity and somehow the front of one of my dresser drawers came off, I have to buy a bigger clamp to fix that, so there is that, new gear.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    IMG_7879.jpg

I have had mine since the early 80s, accuracy is good. The slight movement hasn't been a problem.