Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Delta Backlash.....

wizard78wizard78 Senior MemberPosts: 1,004 Senior Member
Georgia Senate grounds Delta tax break after NRA decision

The Georgia Senate blocked a lucrative tax break bill on Monday that would benefit Delta Air Lines days after the air carrier severed ties with the National Rifle Association, setting up a showdown between state Republicans and the state’s largest employer.

The measure was effectively grounded after Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said he wouldn’t support the $50 million jet fuel sales tax exemption unless the Atlanta-based airline reverses its decision to end discounted rates for NRA members. He joined a chorus of conservatives who opposed the measure after Delta announced its decision Saturday.

Delta officials tried to stem the GOP revolt in a statement that circulated around the statehouse on Monday saying the company is a supporter of the Second Amendment with a “neutral” stance on a gun debate that sharpened this month after the mass shooting at a Florida high school.

.....................
https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-senate-grounds-delta-tax-break-after-nra-decision/2mEb5NCgBmpblpwrFYNEGM/

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”

Replies

  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    So Republicans aren't even trying to hide the fact anymore that the NRA is a subdivision of the Republican Party. Gotcha.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    In a urination contest, it's pretty hard to beat an elephant.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Excellent.

    Whatever else can be said about this whole mess, these kinds of tactics have been used for friggin' DECADES by the Liberals. Its about time they were repaid in kind, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Bend over and touch your toes, Delta- - - - -here it comes without any Vaseline! Actions have consequences!
    :devil:
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Good for Delta. I'd tell the governor to go himself if I was them.

    And then what? Fifty million is fifty million and don't think for a second that Delta could just pack up and move to another state. That would cost immeasurably more than fifty million.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't care about then what. I'm just saying what I would say. I dont play the political BS games. As a private business, I'm not going to bullied by an elected stooge. That's the paying customers job.

    You're not Delta. They're run by a board who answers to shareholders. They have to play the political BS games.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    I won't say I disagree with CPJ - as a matter of principle, he's correct.

    However, I just don't care anymore. This is war, we need to win it, which means to Hell with restrictive ROE that the "enemy" doesn't, and hasn't, adhered to.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    And it gets them out of this debate. And if Delta was a prick like me, they would get that $50 million out of Georgia one way or another-- I would invent ways for the state to lose $50 million in tax revenue.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I won't say I disagree with CPJ - as a matter of principle, he's correct.

    However, I just don't care anymore. This is war, we need to win it, which means to Hell with restrictive ROE that the "enemy" doesn't, and hasn't, adhered to.
    Who is this "we"?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Who is this "we"?

    Anyone who isn't a gun grabbing Liberal. I certainly don't want my remarks to be construed as support for the GOP - they're not - but...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Delta isn't exactly out to grab our guns, are they? They said they remain neutral in the debate and support the Second Amendment. Their mistake was getting involved with the NRA in the first place. Smart business people stay the hell out of this stuff and take the green from the red and blue people alike.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    So the Georgia senate is just being fiscally responsible by trimming the bloated budget for a corporate entitlement. Bravo!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    My guess is they got involved decades ago when the NRA was largely an education and training organization before they morphed into primarily a thinly veiled and highly politicized Republican political operation.

    The NRA is STILL an education and training organization. They also endorse Democrats when they are staunch 2nd amendment supporters.... that just happens to be almost as rare as frog's hair. Are they highly politicized? Damn right they are. If they weren't, we'd likely have a LOT fewer gun rights than we do.

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I know the NRA is not what it used to but had you rather the be on the democrat side. To me they have no choice but to lean GOP.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Hey guys!!! FedEx didn't drop the NRA. Why don't you run out and give them all your business!!!

    As opposed to those jerks at Delta being spineless and taking a neutral political position, yet supporting our Second Amendment, FedEx put out a statement in their support of the NRA. In part:
    FedEx wrote:
    FedEx opposes assault rifles being in the hands of civilians. While we strongly support the constitutional right of U.S. citizens to own firearms subject to appropriate background checks, FedEx views assault rifles and large capacity magazines as an inherent potential danger to schools, workplaces, and communities when such weapons are misused. We therefore support restricting them to the military.

    I think if I was going to get in a tizzy and boycott a business, it would be the one that didn't drop the NRA.

    http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/fedex-responds-to-criticism-of-continued-association-with-nra/707605773

    Or maybe I am choosing the wrong battles. Who knows? You guys go fight your war.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I know the NRA is not what it used to but had you rather the be on the democrat side. To me they have no choice but to lean GOP.
    They stopped leaning a long time ago. They sold out to the Republicans. They used to be feared and forced the politicians to look out for us gun owners. Now they are Republican lap dogs-- they serve the Republican Party now. Not us. So when (not if) Republicans are not the majority, that lap dog becomes neutered. They can no longer hold the line for us because they sold out to a political party.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Kind of like the NAACP. They don't serve black people anymore. They serve the Democratic Party now at the expense of black people.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Kind of like the NAACP. They don't serve black people anymore. They serve the Democratic Party now at the expense of black people.

    According to a book I recently read they weren't doing a real great job as far back as the early sixties.

    As far as the NRA goes, anyone's free to read their periodicals and decide for themselves.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    "The enemy of my enemy is my friend..."
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Delta just let go a tweet about how they support the Second Amendment. They're getting beaten like a borrowed mule on Twitter over it. Trying to get out of the hole they dug, and just keep digging the hole deeper!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    So FedEx is opposed to assault rifles being in the hands of civilians and supports assault rifles being restricted to the military? Why is FedEx concerned with the relatively small number of NFA restricted assault rifles legally owned by civilians? A Democrat friend who was quite moderate prior to 09 November 2016 asked me a couple of weeks ago why so many people thought they needed to own assault rifles? I assured her that civilian ownership of assault rifles was quite rare and tried to explain why. I got the usual liberal deer in the headlights look. I knew there was no sense trying to compare the reason why many people think they may someday need semi automatic AR-15 or AK-47 type rifles with why the Colonists thought they needed to own state of the art weapons of war (military muskets with bayonets) in 1775. The author of FedEx's statement is obviously unaware the catchy media name for an AR this week is "Assault Style Rifle".
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    ....but, but they still offer a NRA discount.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I've got quibbles with the NRA, Delta, FedEX, the Republican Party, Donald Trump, and dozens of other wishy-washy organizations and individuals. But, we the people are in a struggle for the soul of this nation, and anybody who strikes a blow against those who would gut the Constitution that has held us together for over two hundred years is an ally in that struggle.

    Remember that we allied ourselves with the Soviet Union to beat the Germans, and burned down some of the great cities of the world to win the peace. So why condemn Georgia's state government for a questionable political move that makes the Democrats squeal? The comparison is valid, when you consider what has been done to damage this country by leftist politics.

    The Democrats committed to political 'total war,' many years ago, and we have been playing softball while they play hardball. Their goal is to take power over us and grind us down with it, and they won't be beaten by anyone who can't or won't play hardball with them. They force political correctness on us with celebrities, athletes, and big business, wherever they can, so I say hooray to anyone who has the cojones to knock them back a notch or two.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    The Democrats committed to political 'total war,' many years ago, and we have been playing softball while they play hardball. Their goal is to take power over us and grind us down with it, and they won't be beaten by anyone who can't or won't play hardball with them. They force political correctness on us with celebrities, athletes, and big business, wherever they can, so I say hooray to anyone who has the cojones to knock them back a notch or two.
    Exactly. Everyone wants to argue the propriety of the situation - which is as useless as the left's semantic arguments - while I say "YES!" to anybody or anyone who helps, and to Hell with whether its "proper" or "appropriate" or not! We need to toss the ROE and get down and dirty...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement