300 BO build is complete...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,738 Senior Member
Range report Monday

16" 1:8" barrel with a pistol length gas port (all but) stolen from KM Tactical off gunbroker ($65 delivered)
Aero Precision FDE Upper
Superlative Arms "Blow-By" adjustable gas block
10.5" AR Stoner Free Float M-Lock Handguard
PSA NiB BCG and Mil-spec CH
Nikon P Series 2 piece scope mount
NRA Optics (Brunton?) 1.5-6x40 scope (Was a gift)
Noveske pistol length gas tube

The FDE upper I bought 1) because it was on sale, 2) easy was to distinguish the 300BO upper, 3) Didn't have an FDE upper

I know that M-Lock is probably going the way of BetaMax, but it was also on sale, and most importantly, it fit over my gas block.
This isn't a "tacticool" rifle, so I seriously doubt I add anything to it anyway except probably a "can" when I get around to filing another form 1

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,987 Senior Member
    The two tone is a nice touch. Makes yours look different than everyone elses.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,738 Senior Member
    Thank you.

It was strange that I could get the FDE cerakote upper cheaper than the same one anodized
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    Why would M-LOK be going anywhere? Nice build.
    Like you, I have no plans to hang gadgets all over the gun, maybe a AFG, so the M-Lok should be OK.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Exactly

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/15/keymod-vs-m-lok/
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    Looks good! Hope it shoots to your satisfaction. I have a 7.62x39 upper I haven't tried out yet. Too much going on, too cold, etc. Maybe someday! :)
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,242 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Michakav said:
    Exactly

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/15/keymod-vs-m-lok/
    Nice build. I like the FDE. I too am curios why M-Lok would go away.
    Michakav said:
    Thanks, and didn't the military adopt the keymod system???

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    edited March 4 #10
    No...There was testing done though that proved the M-LOK is better for what was needed. Looks like the first actual contract specifies M-LOK.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31/ussocom-selects-m-lok-for-weapon-programs/
    Actually, I had it backward, it's M-lock that did better in the US SOCOM testing, so it probably WON'T be going anywhere anytime soon

we posted at the same time

Pretty sure SOCOM uses M-Lok
    Diver43 said:
    Pretty sure SOCOM uses M-Lok
    That's what I discovered, I had it backwards, I thought M-lock lost instead.

Not the first time I've made a mistake, probably won't be the last either :(

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,361 Senior Member
    Nice, I’m liking it!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,072 Senior Member
    Nice! I like it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thanks, I'm HOPING it's a shooter

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    I dig the doo doo brown upper. 👍
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj said:
    You, of all people, should appreciate the fact that it was $10 cheaper than the identical upper in black (that was out of stock)

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    cpj said:
    You, of all people, should appreciate the fact that it was $10 cheaper than the identical upper in black (that was out of stock)
    Hell yeah! Besides it was cheaper, I like it because it's different. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,242 Senior Member
    Your build is a little different than mine. If you were going to buy bulk ammo with reloading capabilities what would it be.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    Very nice!  I want to get a .300 BO upper also!  

Personally, I would turn those scope mounts in the other direction though.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
     If you were going to buy bulk ammo with reloading capabilities what would it be.
    I have no idea

Jeeper said:
    Personally, I would turn those scope mounts in the other direction though.

Luis
    Can't get the eye relief correct if I do

And I have already ordered the first "add-on" for it. Nothing "cool", just a thread protector

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,286 Senior Member
    Looks great, I love my BO.  Can't wait to see a range report?  Are you adding suppressor and will you be shooting subsonic loads?  Very nice...Congrats!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited March 4 #28
    Looks great, I love my BO.  Can't wait to see a range report?  Are you adding suppressor and will you be shooting subsonic loads?  Very nice...Congrats!

Thank you

I'll be trying subsonics after I confirm that it works with supersonics.

I'll probably build a can for it eventually. Considering ATF says currently running at 9 months average, and slightly longer for trusts. I will probably submit the form 1 before I even worry about starting to buy the parts & pieces.

The subs will be for "fun" and the can will be for hearing safety with supers while hunting. Not interested in hunting with subs. However, watching John Scoutten (sp?) shoot 2 suppressed subs at a steel plate before the first round impacted is something I want to experience, just because

edited March 4 #29
     If you were going to buy bulk ammo with reloading capabilities what would it be.
    If it was for range use or plinking, I'd probably stock up on some of this
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/sellier-bellot-300-aac-blackout-123gr-fmj-ammunition-20rds-sb300blka.html
     The main reason I even bought any factory ammo, is so that I have a reliability base line for my reloads. I didn't want to have to be trying to figure out if an issue was due to my handloads, or something with the upper.

For now, I have the gas block set at 4.5 revolutions open, which is supposed to be the "neutral" position where it functions like a "normal" gas block with no restriction or blow-by. All the gas tapped from the barrel should be going back into the action. Will probably be "over-gassing" to start, but again, one less variable in case  I have functioning issues from the start.

I'll make sure it works first, then I'll start messing with adjusting the gas block.
    I have 250 primed cases and a plethora of suitable 30 cal bullets, Hodgdon Li'l Gun and H110

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    I like it.  Even if it is in tactical poop.  But I have a rifle in tactical poop, so what's that say about my preferences?
    Overkill is underrated.
    I like it.  Even if it is in tactical poop.  But I have a rifle in tactical poop, so what's that say about my preferences?
    Remember, I saw your grooms cake... Far be it from me to question your preferences :innocent: