Home Main Category Personal Defense

Delta Elite at the range today

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
Its been a while sense I've had my 10mm delta to the range so today I took both 1911's (45/10mm) for a shoot. I recently replaced the 10mm factory
recoil springs with Wolf 24lb spring. Once I got control of my flinching things worked out well with both guns, I was using some older Norma 10mm
and 45 +p Gold Dots, didn't take long to go through $75.00. It seemed to me the delta elite recoil was softer (less slide slamming) than before I changed
changed the spring, Beside the big flash from the 10mm I saw little recoil difference between the two guns but I guess I need to shoot more often with the larger cal guns, I never had a flinching problem with my 9MM, guess its psychological. I really love shooting 1911's but its expensive.
Bill

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    I'm sure the new spring helped----glad it is working for you.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That type of thing makes Me long for the days when ammo did not cost Me anything and I had a virtually unlimited supply of practice ammo.
    Federal LE issue ammo.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I'm curious as to whether the 24# spring is standard for the Delta? My gunsmith thinks mine is over-sprung with a 22# spring. I just like to run a spring that gives me reliability without throwing the brass into the next county.

Just curious,

Joe
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    The original DE's came with a 28 coil outer spring, they later changed to 32 coils. I think that's 23lbs. When I went to the 24lb wolf single spring I added a shock buffer and it seemed to me recoil & slide slamming is reduced or at least softer. Ejected brass only go 6 to 10 feet instead of 10 ft plus. I understand the new buffers (red) last longer than the blue ones. The hole thing cost $10.00, its worth a try. I put a 50rd box of ammo through the gun without any malfunctions.
    shooter wrote: »
    I'm curious as to whether the 24# spring is standard for the Delta? My gunsmith thinks mine is over-sprung with a 22# spring. I just like to run a spring that gives me reliability without throwing the brass into the next county.

Just curious,

Joe
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Fast if worried about practice cost for the Delta, Georgia Arms has a can of 500 rnds for $200.00 that equates to 40cnts a round ,not bad. save the good stuff for other times. :beer:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Sometimes when I go to the range I take my Glock 20, Glock 19 and Makarov PM. I will shoot 30 rnds of 10mm, 45 rounds of 9mm, and when I get to my Makarov it's like shooting a .22.

AIM Surplus has PPU 10 MM ammo for $17 for 50 rounds if you buy 500 and that's $.34 a round plus shipping. I have shot it a bunch and it's good enough for practice.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP10JHP180&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+10mm+180grn+JHP+50rd+Box&groupid=274

ap10jhp180.jpg

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    cappy54 wrote: »
    Fast if worried about practice cost for the Delta, Georgia Arms has a can of 500 rnds for $200.00 that equates to 40cnts a round ,not bad. save the good stuff for other times. :beer:
    I shot that georgia Arms stuff, still have a few rnds, and it shot ok, seems a little down loaded for 10mm, but, did I say shoots good.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Thanks for the ammo info, I need to stock up
    Bill
  • R.D.WYLIER.D.WYLIE New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    BILL have you ever tried BUFFALO BORE ammo I use in my SIG 1911. I have a WOLFE 18.5 spring and there is not much
    diffrence than standard 45 loads and they, even have some +P ammo all there ammo comes in sytrofoam boxes and you can get it
    direct ,or through MIDWAY. Please excuse my wording and puncation I had a stroke and some things don't work well, SORRY!!!
  • R.D.WYLIER.D.WYLIE New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    MY SIG 1911 came with a 16# spring and I had to walk down the pasture to p/u brass I switched to 18.5 from WOLFE and it goes
    about 8 ft out.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    R.D.WYLIE wrote: »
    BILL have you ever tried BUFFALO BORE ammo I use in my SIG 1911. I have a WOLFE 18.5 spring and there is not much
    diffrence than standard 45 loads and they, even have some +P ammo all there ammo comes in sytrofoam boxes and you can get it
    direct ,or through MIDWAY. Please excuse my wording and puncation I had a stroke and some things don't work well, SORRY!!!

The Delta Elite is a 10mm firearm.
    Overkill is underrated.