Home Main Category Hunting

Game Camera Pics - Pitch in!

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,436 Senior Member
    That last one with the reflection is awesome!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,763 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That last one with the reflection is awesome!
    Did turn out kinda cool. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member

Put out a cam to start catching some yard art.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Went to check the camera for pics this morning, and scared up this lil coral snake. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

That buck has some potential, out past his ears already.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 801 Senior Member

Went to check the camera for pics this morning, and scared up this lil coral snake. 
    Damn!  Tough to pick out!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    They do blend in. If he hadn’t moved I would have never seen him

Big Lizard in my Backyard. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Good to see the fox is still around.

-Mikhail Kalashnikov

I am still waiting on Orchidmans cougar cam......
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,692 Senior Member
    Lots of heavy antlers those boys have
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

SLAP FIGHT!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    Had a logging project going on, so 1 camera and the feeder went out last night. Apparently the bear likes the area. The forester and loggers saw it a few times so I will probably get him/her on camera. Good chance it will stay close with the tops down, may winter over. The loggers said they counted 9 buck. While that may be true, a chainsaw in PA woods is a dinner bell for deer.

So I should have something to post in a week or so.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

More fighting.

The buck is being REAL spooky.  Does not like to come into the open.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,619 Senior Member
    My Lord! There's some real bruisers there....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    My Lord! There's some real bruisers there....
    Dude, I’m a FIRM believer in cotton seed now!  We started feeding it this spring and it’s kicked EVERYONE into high gear!
    yep. Gonna get some cotton seed for the ranch
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Cotton seed is going to put some urgency into shed hunting next spring, best Easter Egg hunt EVER
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    I just found this about feeding cottonseed from https://springcreekoutdoors.com/blog/cottonseed-the-good-the-bad/

cottonseed creates a condition called gossypol toxicity.  Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile.  Yes, sterile, as in no babies made that year.  However, the gossypol will leave the animal’s system once it stops eating the cottonseed, and fertility will return.  So, ranches that feed cottonseed MUST remove the feed, or stop feeding it, as the bucks remove the velvet from their antlers.  This timing gives the gossypol time to pass through the buck’s system and leave before he begins producing live sperm.  Remember: the only time a buck produces live sperm is while he is in hard antler.  I have seen several ranches that either didn’t believe it or forgot to stop feeding cottonseed before hard antler and they actually had zero fawns produced that entire year.  Talk about hard on a deer management program!

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

yep. Gonna get some cotton seed for the ranch
    Our deer had never had it before and wouldn’t touch it at first. I had into mix it 50/50 with protein feed. Once they started eating it, I put less and less protein until it was straight seed. Now they eat it like candy. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Cotton seed is going to put some urgency into shed hunting next spring, best Easter Egg hunt EVER
    Quite true!
    knitepoet said:
    I just found this about feeding cottonseed from https://springcreekoutdoors.com/blog/cottonseed-the-good-the-bad/

cottonseed creates a condition called gossypol toxicity.  Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile.  Yes, sterile, as in no babies made that year.  However, the gossypol will leave the animal’s system once it stops eating the cottonseed, and fertility will return.  So, ranches that feed cottonseed MUST remove the feed, or stop feeding it, as the bucks remove the velvet from their antlers.  This timing gives the gossypol time to pass through the buck’s system and leave before he begins producing live sperm.  Remember: the only time a buck produces live sperm is while he is in hard antler.  I have seen several ranches that either didn’t believe it or forgot to stop feeding cottonseed before hard antler and they actually had zero fawns produced that entire year.  Talk about hard on a deer management program!

Have not heard that. Will have to check with the state biologist in that. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    edited July 22 #1591
    No worries, I was looking around for cottonseed locally and found it. I have no dog in this fight, just found something I found interesting and thought I'd pass it along.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.