March 6th, a day in Texas that will live in infamy

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,132 Senior Member
edited March 7 in Clubhouse #1
I posted something like this in Facebook this morning but thought I'd post it here.

I went to bed late at 2:00 A.M. but for some reason I woke up at 5:30 A.M. I didn't need a bathroom call and I had my hearing aids out so it wasn't noise. I just woke up. I turned the TV on in the bed room and saw the date on the screen, March 6th. I did the math in my head and realized, 182 years ago today at approximately 5:30 A.M. the final Battle of the Alamo was joined. The battle didn't last long and the Mexican Army under General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna fought their way inside the walls of the fort and due to hugely superior numbers killed all 185 defenders.

Then it hit me plain as day. What woke me up was that the Ghosts of the Alamo Heroes were wrestless! 

You may be asking the question if you're not from Texas why should you honor some Texas heroes. But if you look at a roster of those killed there you will see very few of the defenders were born in Texas. Only a handful of Mexicans who were fighting for Texas were born there. The defenders of the Alamo were from almost every state in the then young Union. There were many from Missouri, Tennessee, the Carolinas and other Southern States and all the way up to New York. So this is not just a Texas thing. The defenders were American. This is an American thing. Also, the Texas Territory ran all the way up to Canada at one time and Santa Anna wanted to claim it all. But the winning of Texas Independence iced the cake and forever claimed a lot of land for Texas and eventually the U.S.

So can we have a moment of silence for the defenders of the Alamo, and Goliad, and those who died at San Jacinto?

Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,073 Senior Member
    "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas!". David Crockett....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,168 Senior Member

My great-great-great-great Aunt's husband died in the Alamo.  His last name was Crawford, I think.  He joined up with some volunteers coming through from, I think, Tennessee.

It was  7-8 years after the battle before my aunt learned of his demise.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #4
    I've seen the Alamo Roster of Dead several times, hell it was in one book I had, and I distinctly remember a Crawford or two. I remember seeing the name. My Great Great Great Grandfather didn't die but survived San Jacinto. His name was Alert or Allert. He was from Alsace Lorraine or however you spell it. Those from there were half German and Half French usually as it was almost on the border. His daughter, my great great grand mother, Catherine Allert married my Great Great Grand Father Christian Dierlam who was full tilt German. Anyway, I think you and I would be classified as TRUE TEXANS!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited March 12 #5
    SIGgal said:
    God bless those who faced those odds in the name of freedom. None of them were forced to be there and made the choice of their own free will. David Crockett, James Bowie, George Washington Cottle, William Carey and William Howell of Massachusetts to name a few. Defenders came from as far as Vermont in the name of freedom..... the same freedom that is being taken away every day by ignorant people. 
    Yep SIGgal, those guys were either Real Real Brave Or Really ate up with the Dumbass, LOL!!!

Seriously, they were brave souls. Sam Houston told Travis not to hole up in those old missions because they would be death traps. But Travis, though he had the title of Colonel, wasn't a military man, he was a Lawyer and he and the others who were mainly indian fighters and didn't have a clue about military strategy or tactics, got all inspired and decided to take a stand, thinking they would get relief by re-enforcements at some point. But it never happened and all 185 of them died.

Houston was really the only military mind in the whole bunch on the Texican side. After the Alamo he met Susana Dickenson, the only white survivor of the Alamo and the wife of Almeron Dickenson, one of the heroes, at Gonzales. Santa Anna let her and her slave live to go tell the story and warn the Texicans that that would also be their fate if they didn't leave Texas. Houston then lead Santa Anna on a Wild Goose Chase to the East across the state and then down south toward Houston in East Texas while he looked for the perfect place to fight Santa Anna's Army. They called this the Runaway Scrape.

Houston wasn't real talkative nor did he feel the need to explain his plans to his men. On this runaway scrape the men nearly committed a Mutiny against him but were calmed by some of the cooler headed leaders and finally they got to the San Jacinto Plain which is South of Houston just east of where Deer Park is now and Houston decided to take his stand there.The place was surrounded by water except for one bridge, called Vince's Bridge. Houston felt this would give him his best chance because there were about 11, 000 more Mexican Troops in the general area and he didn't want several hundred of them showing up at a critical time and being surrounded by relatively deep water would slow any army from coming onto the plain. He set up his camp on the North edge of the plain. They set up camp and waited until Santa Anna showed up and set up camp on the other side of the San Jacinto plain. The next day just after noon, he knew the Mexicans would be taking their afternoon siesta soon so he sent his Trusty aid Deaf Smith and another guy to burn the bridge.

Every thing was set for after 3:00 P.M. He got his troops ready for the attack. Just as they started their march across the field to join the battle Deaf Smith came riding up shouting "Fight for your lives men,  Vinces Bridge is Down." That inspired them and they proceeded to take their revenge on the Alamo and Goliad. They won the battle in about 10-15 minutes because they literally caught the Mexican Army asleep, but when the Mexicans began to surrender, the officers couldn't get the men to quit killing Mexicans. When Rusk, one of the Texas officers asked his men to stop shooting, one guy said "Sir, if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me to stop I wouldn't stop shooting!" They ended up slaughtering about 700 or 800 of the 1600 Mexican Troops. They were just plain pissed off!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #6
    Seen what's left of the Alamo a few times. Stayed in The Crockett and (mostly) the Menger hotels, both a stones throw away from the Alamo grounds. Well worth a visit if you go to San Antonio.  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited March 12 #7

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    I'd like to visit the alamo just so I could see the basement. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Menger Hotel on the left and pic from Crockett window/balcony room if I remember correctly. Not far at all. 
    edited March 12 #17
    Big Chief said:
    Menger Hotel on the left and pic from Crockett window/balcony room if I remember correctly. Not far at all. 

The first time I ever went to the Alamo I was about 10 years old and we stayed in the Menger Hotel and ate at Bill Williams BBQ. I remember I thought I was Crapping in High Cotton!

I think both those hotels are still there.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,106 Senior Member
    One and only time I was there was 1966 when I was in basic training at Lackland AFB.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
    Hopefully this piece of our history won't offend somebody and have to be erased. 
    Thanks for sharing, brave people.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain