Someone help identify a s&w revolver

FFLshooterFFLshooter MemberPosts: 499 Member
Customer brought it in needing refinished and a thumb release. It’s a 32 smith and Wesson long Cartridge with 504 on the frame behind the crane. Serial number is 235xxx.

Replies

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 499 Member
    Correction 195xxx
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    Pic?

How many screws on the frame?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    Pic?

How many screws on the frame?
    4 on the side plate.
    Looks like a J frame, model 30????

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-32-sw-long-38-sw/

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    That's a six shot so not a J frame.  Who needs to be shot for that rattle can paint job!!! :rage:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    I believe it's a J-frame...not an I frame and not a K, so that leaves J.  Here's from the link posted from above.' I think it's a pre Model 30 because it's a five screw.

"Steve Kukowski bought a Model 30, made around 1970. It’s built on the J-frame with a 6-shot cylinder and chambered for the .32 S&W Long."
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    That's a six shot so not a J frame.  Who needs to be shot for that rattle can paint job!!! :rage:
    That’s why I’m stripping and bluing it.
    Doing research, it looks like it is a model 30-1 J frame. I found the thumb release and screw that it needs. Thanks fellas.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    While I have no issues goring sacred cows, even I'm say W T A F was someone thinking with that paint job?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    The guy said he bought it from his grandpa who was apparently wanting a carry gun that wouldn’t rust. I guess he never heard of oil. I think it’s duracoat because I can’t even scratch it. It’ll be going in the blast cabinet.
    Gene L said:
    I believe it's a J-frame...not an I frame and not a K, so that leaves J.  Here's from the link posted from above.' I think it's a pre Model 30 because it's a five screw.

"Steve Kukowski bought a Model 30, made around 1970. It’s built on the J-frame with a 6-shot cylinder and chambered for the .32 S&W Long."
    Yep, J frame .32s are six shots.  I forgot!  My bad...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

That’s why I’m stripping and bluing it.
    The entire shooting world thanks you!!!!!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #16
    FYI, it's an I-frame and not a J-frame or an Improved I-frame.  You can tell because it's set up for a leaf mainspring, not a coil one.  You can even see the hole in the frame for the torsion screw for the mainspring. 

Overkill is underrated.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,594 Senior Member
    FYI, it's an I-frame and not a J-frame

I'm not so sure on that Bream..........I'll check something and post again if I can figure it out..
    The " improved" I frame was a coil for a little while sometime after WWII thinking maybe early 50's then they just made it a J frame which was  a leaf spring.

Not sure if what I posted made sense.........LOL
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    From what I understand the I-frame had a flat mainspring, while the Improved I had a coil (I edited it to include the Improved I, don't know if my edit updated.)  From what I read the Improved I came out in 1958....
    Overkill is underrated.
    I'm not sure what he has offhand the serial doesn't seem to add up right.There is no S&W trademark or address bar and the ejector rod tip looks funky

Weatherby said:
    I'm not sure what he has offhand the serial doesn't seem to add up right.There is no S&W trademark or address bar and the ejector rod tip looks funky

Did you see the update on the serial number? It’s 195xxx. I hate trying to identify these older Smith’s just because of this.
    The trademark is there but it’s filled with this thick coating.
    Weatherby said:

Did you see the update on the serial number? It’s 195xxx. I hate trying to identify these older Smith’s just because of this.

I did exactly where did you get the # from ?
    These guns in particular went through a lot of funky changes up until about 1958.
    The front sight and type of elongated trigger guard should help narrow it down.
    The trademark is there but it’s filled with this thick coating.

I did see that afterward but can't seem to edit anything in a timely fashion.
    Maybe IT will fix in a year or two

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Anybody paint a S&W Revolver, just ain't a gonna go to Heaven!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    another question is there a screw at the front area of the trigger guard ?
    Weatherby said:
    Weatherby said:

I did exactly where did you get the # from ?
    These guns in particular went through a lot of funky changes up until about 1958.
    The front sight and type of elongated trigger guard should help narrow it down.
    It’s on the frame twice, the crane and cylinder. All numbers match. The one that gets me is the 504 where most model numbers are, where the crane closes to the frame.
    Look at the bottom of the butt area on the gun and post that number
    Same number. I just left out the last three digits.

Early J frame serial numbers
    For models 36, 37, 38, 49, 50 and pre model number versions.

1950 = start at 1
    1952 = 7369 - 21342
    1953 = 28916
    1955 = 55050 - 75000
    1957 = 117770 - 125000
    1962 = starts at 295000
    1969 = ends at 786544

So this gun was born sometime between 1958 and 1962, probably around 1960
    Before blasting it I'd sink it in a glass jar full of acetone for a few days.  The paint MIGHT just peel off.  Worth a try.
    I'm stumped a big part of it is because of that serial number........... it doesn't seem to jive.............at all.