Half-Cock...Would You or Wouldn't you?

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,133 Senior Member
So, I have this pistol. It's a "Rendition" of the CZ 75 made in Turkey. It's a Tristar T-100https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/85178/Firearms/Handguns/TriStar/TriStar+85109+T-100+Pistol+9mm+3.7+15+1+Blk+Poly+Grip+Blued

The only problem with it is the trigger reach in double action is just a smidgen too far forward which was common with the original CZ-75 for many. CZ now has several models where they have backed it off a bit. 

When I start with the weapon hammer down, the first double action shot is pretty stiff. I've discovered, that if I start with the hammer back about 1/8th inch or "half cock" the first shot is significantly easier.

The weapon can also be carried cocked and locked. Which is an option as well. 

So, the question is, does anyone see a problem with starting at half-cock? It's really hard to imagine with a modern concealable holster that this would pose a danger but I'm open to being dissuaded. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,133 Senior Member
    Perhaps I should have said, Half-Penised?

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,295 Senior Member
    Rather than being partially P enised,or half cawked, I'd go straight to cawcked and locked 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Cocked & locked if the safety's easy to reach. Whats the advanatage of half cocked?
    The safety on the CZ is not as easy to disengage as the extended ones found on the 1911. And as has already been written, with half...cawked the double action trigger pull is significantly lightened and shortened. I've already tested on the range that the hammer on this pistol, if allowed to fall from that position, will not detonate a primer. In fact, they aren't even dimpled. 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Well, as many years as you been packin' your judgement's likely pretty good.

Long as you dont draw in a crisis to unexpectedly discover the hammer's not where it was supposed to be.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,040 Senior Member
    The safety on the CZ is not as easy to disengage as the extended ones found on the 1911. And as has already been written, with half...cawked the double action trigger pull is significantly lightened and shortened. I've already tested on the range that the hammer on this pistol, if allowed to fall from that position, will not detonate a primer. In fact, they aren't even dimpled. 

I think you answered your own question no?  Any chance of anything snagging the half P hammer and cocking it while holstered?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    The difference in hammer position is notable. 
    I suppose there's always a chance, but the weapon is always under a shirt. The pistol has a firing pin block so unless the trigger is pulled, a falling hammer is not "supposed" to set off a cartridge. All my holsters have the trigger guard covered. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,040 Senior Member
    I think I'd be fine with that.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,288 Senior Member
    SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL! Ya can't use the name for a rooster or the position for a firearm hammer! And on a firearms forum, no less. Ya need an auto censor that can recognize context, not one that just looks at words.

Anyway, if the pistol hammer is kept at 'half mast' and there isn't a possibility/probability of snagging it on the holster and going 'full mast' with it, then carry it that way. I think you're more that capable of carrying it in that condition.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,074 Senior Member
    DOWN WITH THE AUTO CENSOR!!!!! IT'S A WITCH!   BUUURRRNNN IT!!!!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    If anyone is looking for a light weight, metal framed CZ rendition in a compact package, consider this pistol. It was $324 on Sale at Academy Sports last year and it's an awesomely accurate little pistola! 16 shots in a compact pistol is pretty cool. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    I do not see a problem with the hammer 1/2 back
    This message has been deleted
    If anyone is looking for a light weight, metal framed CZ rendition in a compact package, consider this pistol. It was $324 on Sale at Academy Sports last year and it's an awesomely accurate little pistola! 16 shots in a compact pistol is pretty cool. 
    It IS a nice looking pistol. And the price is way good for what it looks like you get.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    I'm in the camp of same trigger pull, all the time, so make it cocked & locked or a DA revolver for me.

That said, pretty much all the hammer-fired Winchesters from the last half of the 19th Century used the partial-penis notch as the only safety available.  Same situation for a couple of Browning's proto-1911's, so no, I've got no issues with the mechanics of what you propose.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,252 Senior Member
    Partial ****?
    edited March 9 #19
    Wow. **** got censored. The word "long" but with a d instead of the l. Wow.

You know, I understand there is a template and stuff they have to follow, but wow. And the improvements? What the heck? You would think they would be on it and stuff. This is getting silly. How about this....

F A R T A R D
    Dirty Sanchez.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    edited March 9 #21
    How can a magazine that doesn't trust fellow Americans with the language be expected to support gun ownership? We used to have 'beat cops' who did a decent job of policing and taking out the serious offenders, without having to have every post be redacted to the point they are rendered unintelligible.

I mean, it ain't like the moderators were being paid...what has been gained here?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,741 Senior Member
    half-clocked
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,741 Senior Member
    Sad, it blocks in when you open the forum, but when at the "main" page, it still shows it.

I noticed the same thing on SigGal's post about "richards" in the clubhouse the other day
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,093 Senior Member

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,361 Senior Member
    I’d see if I could make roostered and locked work for you.  That’s how I carry my CZ pattern guns 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I'd prefer clocked and locked...but like I said, the CZ thumb safety isn't as intuitive as the 1911 due mainly to position/elevation and size. I'll look for an aftermarket that is a bit bigger. Many of the CZ parts won't fit this particular "rendition." It's not a copy. But, she shoots like one. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,648 Senior Member
    Half cork.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Mrs_Mary_CelesteMrs_Mary_Celeste Posts: 21 New Member
    edited March 9 #28
    Gene L said:
    Half cork.
    I prefer a full cork for me.LOL :D

Bigslug said:
    I'm in the camp of same trigger pull, all the time, so make it cocked & locked or a DA revolver for me.

That said, pretty much all the hammer-fired Winchesters from the last half of the 19th Century used the partial-**** notch as the only safety available.  Same situation for a couple of Browning's proto-1911's, so no, I've got no issues with the mechanics of what you propose.
    Some of those ol' Winchester lever guns had a passive safety that prevented firing with a full "clocked" hammer. if the lever isn't pushing the plunger up at the back of the lever, then ya can't pull the trigger. The schematics show it as the Trigger Stop.

With this gun, there's a firing pin block that will prevent the firing pin movement, unless the trigger is depressed all the way. 

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,361 Senior Member
    I have carried CZ pattern guns half-roostered and unlocked.  You should be OK.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov