Reduced power trigger spring kit for AR-15

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberPosts: 2,229 Senior Member
Just installed a JP Enterprise reduced power trigger spring kit on my AR. I don't have a pull gauge but did notice a drastic difference. I would guesstimate it went from around 7# to 4.5#. Definitely worth the $13 investment assuming that it gets reliable primer strikes. I was also fortunate enough to luck out on a mil-spec. trigger that has zero take-up and next to no creep.

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    But did it cost $13..Not saying mine is anywhere near what a good drop-in is, but for the price it's amazing. I also really just got lucky with the mil-spec. trigger. Some are horrendous. They are always hit and miss. I have never had a better one though. I would like a nice 2 stage, but am WAY too cheap to buy one...lol
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    I don't understand the whole 2 stage trigger thing.  You have a first stage say 2 lbs of pull to get to you set point.  Second stage say another 2 lbs of pull to fire.  Or, you can have a single stage at 2 lbs with zero pretravel and a glass like break.  Seems to me you are just adding weight and distance to your trigger pull, plus a longer reset.  

Crappy triggers have pretravel, almost like a first stage but we try and remove all the pretravel out of them.  I could understand a second stage of 1/2 lb or less but not many like that I have seen.  Teaches flintlock is one.  I'll stick with my 2 lb single stages.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    I don't understand the whole 2 stage trigger thing.  You have a first stage say 2 lbs of pull to get to you set point.  Second stage say another 2 lbs of pull to fire.  Or, you can have a single stage at 2 lbs with zero pretravel and a glass like break.  Seems to me you are just adding weight and distance to your trigger pull, plus a longer reset.  

Crappy triggers have pretravel, almost like a first stage but we try and remove all the pretravel out of them.  I could understand a second stage of 1/2 lb or less but not many like that I have seen.  Teaches flintlock is one.  I'll stick with my 2 lb single stages.
    Can't say I disagree with you. The only 2 stage trigger I have fired is on my K-31. I would love to try an "ounce" trigger though.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    Try the Geissele SSA-E two stage and you'll understand.  My favorite trigger, and yes, I have an ~2.5 lb single stage as well.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    Wait a minute... I take that back... My *favorite* trigger is a Timney single stage in my .308 that is maybe 12-14 Oz's.  No creep, glass break, perfect.   But I'm not sticking something that light in any AR.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,073 Senior Member
    Nice! I have the wolff reduced power spring kit in one of mine. Similar results. Vast improvement for the cost which I'm pretty sure was under $10. Not as good as the RR 2-stage in my other one, but definitely good enough and high value per dollar spent. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho