Federal court upholds Texas law about sanctuary cities

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,112 Senior Member
[quote]

The ruling is largely seen as a victory for Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Republicans who support the legislation.

"I'm pleased the 5th Circuit recognized that Senate Bill 4 is lawful, constitutional and protects the safety of law enforcement officers and all Texans," Texas Attorney General Paxton (R) said in a statement. "Enforcing immigration law prevents the release of individuals from custody who have been charged with serious crimes. Dangerous criminals shouldn't be allowed back into our communities to possibly commit more crimes."

Republicans have pushed to crack down on sanctuary cities that refuse to help officials with federal immigration enforcement, while several local governments pushed to stop the measure, including Austin, Houston and San Antonio.

Lee Gelernt, the deputy director for the American Civil Liberties Union's Immigrant's Rights Project, said the organization was disappointed in the ruling but would closely monitor how it is implemented.

[/quote]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/federal-appeals-court-upholds-most-of-texas-law-banning-sanctuary-cities/ar-BBKbkVi

It took a federal court to confirm that existing law may be enforced in Texas. So, now the ball is back in the court of officials in places like Austin, where sanctuary city status has been declared. I'm pretty sure that if the Austin mayor pulls a stunt like what the Oakland mayor did, Gregg Abbott will send the Texas Rangers in to arrest her. I'm sure we will soon see.

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,270 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    [quote]

It took a federal court to confirm that existing law may be enforced in Texas. So, now the ball is back in the court of officials in places like Austin, where sanctuary city status has been declared. I'm pretty sure that if the Austin mayor pulls a stunt like what the Oakland mayor did, Gregg Abbott will send the Texas Rangers in to arrest her. I'm sure we will soon see.

I would love to see that happen! There would be massive protests on the liberal side and people dancing in the streets on the conservative side. 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    That sounds like something that will give the Liberals in the sanctuary cities fits. Hope the Governor and LE can get those cities back in line.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    I think the mayors and police chiefs of so-called "Sanctuary Cities" should be rounded up, arrested, and charged with obstruction of justice if nothing else. Its so damn blatant and a huge pet peeve of mine.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!