Poor Dicks....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,295 Senior Member
They're reporting "Deeper than expected" losses.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dicks-deep-losses-anti-gun-stance/

BOO freakin' HOO. and "cry my a river"

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 417 Member
    You’d think these idiots would know by now. I hope YouTube goes up in flames too.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Being part of google, I doubt youtube goes anywhere
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    This is why the left wins every time. They threaten a boycott, shaky business owners cave in to the pressure, then the right boycotts them anyway and the businesses suffer either way.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    In that article they claim that Dicks has no direct competition. They must consider Academy insignificant.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    This is why the left wins every time. They threaten a boycott, shaky business owners cave in to the pressure, then the right boycotts them anyway and the businesses suffer either way.
    If most businesses would ignore the threats of boycott from the Left, and just do what was right to start with, they'd lose very little business, and probably see an increase as the conservatives would reward them with MORE of their business.
    That's why I was making that point, except I didn't point out the other side like you did so well.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,991 Senior Member
    In that article they claim that Dicks has no direct competition. They must consider Academy insignificant.
    Academy isn't in most of the country. Seems to me firearms are actually not a huge part of their business anywhere I've ever lived including phoenix. Much more focus on high school team sports and golf plus stuff like fishing and camping. If I had to guess I'd say everything firearms and hunting is less than 5% of revenue. Stuff like ARs don't even register. They probably sell more in candy at the checkout line. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 703 Senior Member
    Academy isn't in most of the country. Seems to me firearms are actually not a huge part of their business anywhere I've ever lived including phoenix. Much more focus on high school team sports and golf plus stuff like fishing and camping. If I had to guess I'd say everything firearms and hunting is less than 5% of revenue. Stuff like ARs don't even register. They probably sell more in candy at the checkout line. 
    That is not the case at my local Academy.  The firearms counter is by far the busiest part of the store.  We also have a "Richard's" (never know when the auto-censor will strike).  Their gun and ammo selection is pathetic, you rarely can find an employee anywhere nearby and customers seem to be scarce as hen's teeth in that department.  I'm not sure why they bother.  I know I don't make a habit of going in there.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    I wish my son would pursue another job besides Dicks. He is a shipping manager at the local one near here. After the last shooting and they came out with the new policies. He had to go get the high capacity magazines off the shelves. They had 2 mags. Both were for a Ruger 10/22. So it wasn't like this store had any of that stuff anyway. If I remember correctly they pulled the 556/223 ammo too. They never had much to choose from. No 300 BO, 6.5 Creedmore or Grendel.  Academy opened up about 2 miles from them last year. There gun counter is one of the best around except for a few LGS. They have 3 packed aisles of ammo. About any caliber or grain you want. I know this store has hurt that Dicks a lot. Even though my son works there I spend more money at Academy due to selection and prices.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    The one in Pensacola reflects what Alpha posted but I think part of the reason is that their procedure for buying a firearm is a pain in the butt. They still sell everything though so nobody is angry at them. According to their website, they have 240 stores in 30 states while Richards has around 660 stores but all of that can change pretty quickly.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

I bought six firearms from Academy and did not find the procedure to be any worse than the three LGS locations I bought firearms from last year.  I have not bought any yet this year, but I think my first one of the year may be coming up soon.

Happy smiley animated emoticon

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,991 Senior Member
    That is not the case at my local Academy.  The firearms counter is by far the busiest part of the store.  We also have a "Richard's" (never know when the auto-censor will strike).  Their gun and ammo selection is pathetic, you rarely can find an employee anywhere nearby and customers seem to be scarce as hen's teeth in that department.  I'm not sure why they bother.  I know I don't make a habit of going in there.
    To clarify everything after the first sentence is in reference to Dick's. I don't know anything about academy because they haven't had them in any of the last 4 states I've lived in 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    edited March 23 #14
    I've never bought anything from Dicks. And probably never will, because we don't have them here. I think Austin has one and maybe some other larger cities. But I don't miss them because never seen them. I have bought guns at Wally World and Academy. Bought my Remington 700 SPS .30-06 from Academy and two Remington 700 ADL Synthetics from them. I bought a Ruger 10-22 and a Stevens Model 200 in .223 Remington at Wally World. But most of my guns I've bought in the last 15 years have been from my local gun stores and others from pawn shops and individuals, plus I have bought Military surplus rifles, mainly Yugo Mausers from surplus dealers such as Classic Firearms and had them sporterized and rebarreled to a cartridge I wanted. So who needs Dicks?

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    First time I went into Dicks it was to look for a fishing rod that I had seen advertised. No luck and nobody to help in their tiny fishing section. Next time it was for some Springfield safe 45-70 ammo. Again no joy. Attempted to look at a rifle and was told to come back at 3:00 when the gun  guy would be there, i was on my lunch hour. Dont think i have been back since
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    To clarify everything after the first sentence is in reference to Dick's. I don't know anything about academy because they haven't had them in any of the last 4 states I've lived in 

Thanks for the clarification, that sounds like what I have observed at Dick's.  I don't believe I have ever seen an AR in there.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    I went to my local "Dicks" grand opening several years ago, haven't been back. I usually pick up all my
    range ammo at Walmart. So far Walmart still selling ammo.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    Factory ammo?  What's that?

New firearms?  Oh yeah. . .those are the cases I usually walk right past without even glancing in, on my way to check out the ones that are older than I am.

There's a couple of Dick's a little outside my normal stomping area.  Five minutes inside one was three more than I needed.  Sports Authority and Big 5 have amply demonstrated that a peddler of baseball uniforms with a half-@ssed gun counter full of plastic stocks, roll pins, and cheap bolt actions with Glock triggers will have very little to offer me.  Bass Pro's gets a fair amount of my business, but the one here doesn't even have a used section like the out-of-state Cabela's, and the new counter has a "take a number and wait till you die of hunger or thirst" system of getting help.  Thus my trips there are usually all about new boots, socks, long underwear, and replacing the parachute cord in my hunting pack.

And this would seem to be a symptom of the greater political problem this thread got launched with:  There aren't any firearm enthusiasts working for these Big Box outdoor chains or within many of the major gun manufacturers - at least not at the levels that matter.  Imagine if someone like Jeff Cooper owned a chain like Dick's; you'd have outspoken resistance to this "over 21" plan; news conferences to that effect, and huge donations to candidates running against the people proposing it.  As it stands, these places are run by accountants outside our sport trying to figure out what those in it will be interested in, while trying to earn points with the soccer moms who avoid our side of the store.

Support the shops that support you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SkolnickSkolnick Member Posts: 46 Member
    Bigslug said: Imagine if someone like Jeff Cooper owned a chain like Dick's; you'd have outspoken resistance to this ...
    In 2007, Jesse Jackson organized a protest against DS Arms, a suburban firearm manufacturer that does not sell to the public. They bussed in protesters from a church in Chicago and announced "Citizens of Barrington, vote these gun manufacturers out of here."

Meanwhile, DS Arms had three large posters that advertised the book "Shakedown: Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson". The posters were positioned so that the news crews had to use tight shots to avoid showing the ads.

Tight shots makes it look like there are only half a dozen protestors -- not a good impression when seeking publicity.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,044 Senior Member
    It was at least 7 years ago, but Dick's had a sale on those Savage bolt action slug guns and I bought one from them. The issue was that in addition to the standard stuff on a federal form, they were asking other stuff like if I had children in the house, etc. All of which got answered as "NYB" (not your business). Then the sales guy had to walk the shotgun to the cashier and then out of the store. I have never been to another one since.

It is a pain in the butt to buy a gun at Cabela's, but they only make you fill out what is required. The only pain is they pretty much double and triple check all the paperwork before completing a sale, and I can't blame them for that. Going above and beyond what the Feds want just pisses me off though. If you are going to sell guns, sell guns. If you got issues with it, get out of the gun selling business and leave the market open for those that don't-- but please stop doing it half ass.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    Contrary to what you think, the world does not revolve around the DC area.

When Academy came into a town near me, it turned Gander Mountain into a ghost town. Within a couple of years, they expanded to meet the local market, by selling hand loading supplies and equipment and AR-15's and SD type shotguns and handguns, as well as the best prices around on other medium quality firearms and accessories. When they opened, fishing gear and bow-hunting were the biggest section. Not so, any more. The guns, hunting, and camping sections are many times larger, now. They have adjusted to fit the local market, and avoided making political statements, thus far. Outdoor equipment takes up nearly half of the store, although sports type clothing and shoes are still big, as well as gym equipment, etc.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

And this would seem to be a symptom of the greater political problem this thread got launched with:  There aren't any firearm enthusiasts working for these Big Box outdoor chains or within many of the major gun manufacturers - at least not at the levels that matter.  Imagine if someone like Jeff Cooper owned a chain like Dick's; you'd have outspoken resistance to this "over 21" plan; news conferences to that effect, and huge donations to candidates running against the people proposing it.  As it stands, these places are run by accountants outside our sport trying to figure out what those in it will be interested in, while trying to earn points with the soccer moms who avoid our side of the store.

Support the shops that support you.
    I would LOVE to see a new Jeff Cooper emerge and do what you said. He could distill great thoughts into a minimum of words. No room for the MSM to chop it down into the pieces they'd use in a news story. And he had a commanding presence; that Marine Officer thing coming out, I guess. He'd have the MSM reporters questioning him wettin' their britches! :smiley:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,285 Senior Member
    They have a Dick's in Salinas, Ca. I was in it once - the guns and ammo section was smaller than the counter at a 1950s era McDonalds and there was no-one around. Wasn't particularly impressed with the pricing or selection of what I could see, and I had no clue what ammo they had in stock because I couldn't see it in the cabinet they had it locked up in. I don't know if they have them here in Florida or not, I haven't seen one.

Went to an Academy in NOLA - I didn't walk out empty handed! Its right around the corner and down the block so to speak from a relative's house.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,084 Senior Member

Last time I looked, our local Walmart had a very well-stocked reloading department- - - -bullets, powder, dies, case holders, even manuals and a few "starter kits" for beginners.  Primers are available, but are stocked behind the counter.   It's going to be interesting to see if that changes.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Every Mal*Wart I've been in that carried "gun stuff" has had the ammo locked up in a case. Slightly annoying because I usually have to go find somebody - but understandable all the same. However, the one local to me here in Florida has the locked case behind the counter - its hard to see what they have in stock! I buy some 9mm and .38 spcl there sometimes, but they never have any .22 and their .32 ACP is $24/50!! One time when there was a guy there, I had him double check that price - it was correct! Its still there, I check on it every once in a while hoping they'll reduce it by 50% just to get it out of the store.

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba said:
    They have a Dick's in Salinas, Ca. I was in it once - the guns and ammo section was smaller than the counter at a 1950s era McDonalds and there was no-one around. Wasn't particularly impressed with the pricing or selection of what I could see, and I had no clue what ammo they had in stock because I couldn't see it in the cabinet they had it locked up in. I don't know if they have them here in Florida or not, I haven't seen one.

Went to an Academy in NOLA - I didn't walk out empty handed! Its right around the corner and down the block so to speak from a relative's house.

The closest Dick's to you is at the Melbourne Square Mall....not worth the drive from Merritt Island.  I have one 5 miles from my house and don't consider it worth the drive.

You have an Academy Sports just off I-95 in Palm Bay....worth the drive.

edited March 23 #27
    Thanx! I didn't know about either, just the Palm Bay Bass Pro. I'm going to be down towards Indialantic in the next couple of weeks, I'll jog over to 95 and find that Academy. I'm sure I'll at least come home with some ammo - while seeing what they're all about.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    Went to the Dicks in Bakersfield Ca when they first opened, wanted to look at a rifle they had advertised on sale.
    After standing there for about 10 minuets watching workers walking around doing pretty much nothing I walked out and didn't go back.  Found what I wanted at Big 5 instead.
    The Big 5 stores in Bakersfield, Tehachapi and Lancaster always treated me fine and you didn't have to look around trying to find someone to help you. Have probably bought at least a dozen rifles and lots of ammo from those three stores.
    I always had pretty good luck with Big 5, myself. Bought a shotgun from the one in Monterey years back, was a good enough experience.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    I have purchased 1 rifle from Dick's. It was a 10/22 about 2 months back. I took the ad in from Academy for a price match of $189. The manager, after being called, was none too happy about it. They had the same for $259. Had to honor it though since Academy is listed on their site. He did a bunch of mumbling and grumbling about how Academy is their biggest competition and there wasn't 1 within 500 miles of his store. I laughed my ass off the whole time.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,143 Senior Member
    They just opened up a Rural King in Muscle Shoals AL, I've seen some of their prices and they compete pretty well with the cheapest LGS in town.  I may have to make a trip out there one day.

As far as Academy goes, I'm a fan mostly.  Yes they are corporate but they have a decent seliction and will price match anyone.  I buy my St of my .22 there but Cabela's prices have come down on .22s, mostly even now.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician