Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fish recipes for a non-fisherman

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,798 Senior Member
Store-bought fish, in other words.

I'm serious about losing weight, this time, and I've finally admitted that my southern food culture is going to turn me into a complete couch potato, if I don't start eating food that I don't love. My wife is an outstanding cook, and is eating the same food as I, so I get lots of good vegetable dishes. I've been going to a dietician once a month, which helps. I lost 12 lbs. the first month, and I'm still sticking to a 1800 calorie diet, with a few cheats here and there. My weakness is red meat and potatoes, not sweets or beer, So I've only been eating red meat once every couple of weeks, and have confirmed what I already knew - if I eat red meat, I crave more red meat, and get withdrawal feelings if I don't, just like when I quit smoking several years ago.

I've discovered that I like baked salmon almost as much as steak, and I've been eating it a couple times a week. But, 'fresh' salmon is expensive in east Texas. So, I'm also eating those frozen breaded cod patties and they are OK, but they aren't really cheap, either. I bought some imitation crab meat (Alaskan pollock, actually), because it's more reasonably priced, and I have tried it sauteed with aromatic veggies, baked, and steamed, and raw. It is supposed to be OK to eat raw, because of the process it goes through to make it simulate crab meat. I can't tell much difference in the taste or texture, whether I eat it 'raw' or overcook it in the oven or in a frying pan. Basically, it has the texture of a noodle, and very little taste. I ate some in an omelette with onions, sweet peppers, and mushrooms, and I couldn't tell the difference between the fish and the mushrooms. Obviously, I don't have very subtle taste buds.

I have tried tilapia several times and I'm fairly unimpressed with it. I like catfish, but have not tried baking it. So, I'm still searching for substitutes for red meat and the dark meat of chicken, and pork. Any recipes or lean meat suggestions would be welcome.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    I buy frozen cod loins, come two per package at Publix.  Takes about 25 minutes to thaw one out, and then I steam it on a bamboo steamer.  Maybe 10 minutes or so.  when it flakes, it's done.  I then put sesame oil on it (which has calories) and cajun seasoning and it's very filling and low caloric, low fat.  You can fry it as well, but I don't.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I don't care much for fish but relate to your dietary struggles. The venison successfully taken by your grandson is a great source of protein and last longer when combined with various types of beans.

I'll leave the fish recipes to others better experienced than I.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Coat it in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, etc.  Ground red pepper is good, too.  Broil until done, maybe with a light brown on the edges.  I use that for tilapia, crappie, or other mild, white fish.

For salmon I use a mix of olive oil, maybe a little butter, minced garlic, Worchestersheesheershire, and rosemary and/or dill.  Broil until done.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    True story....I would eat a carp before I ever ate tilapia....that stuff is just nasty....on the other hand I can actually make carp and sucker taste like lobster.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Look up recipes.for blackened catfish. I've heard of people just grilling it with lemon.pepper.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    True story....I would eat a carp before I ever ate tilapia....that stuff is just nasty....on the other hand I can actually make carp and sucker taste like lobster.....
    Avoid the farm-raised stuff. Here we can get it from the rivers and lakes.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I bake fish on a broiler pan. Coat fish with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, a little lemon juice and whatever else you like. 400° until fish is flaky. It's good baked that way. Thicker fillets can be done the same way. Want fried fish without frying? Use the same broiler pan and coat the fish with olive oil then dredge through the fish fry breading mix and bake at the 400° temp. Salmon, tuna, and codfish can be broiled the same way. If the fillet is thick, slice it thinner to shorten both cooking time and not overcook the outside.

Depending on where it's from, tilapia is just not edible, ESPECIALLY the Southeast Asia stuff. They feed it poop over there among other unsavory things. Same for catfish fillets. KNOW where it came from.

You can also make fish meatloaf. Google the recipes; there's lots of them and one of them is bound to tickle your taste buds.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Thanks, folks. I think what I need most of all is a better place to buy fish.

The tuna sounds good, and my wife cooks fish the way some of you have described, so I may just need to find a better variety.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Grilled swordfish steaks in my estimation is the best.
    When buying swordfish always get the whitest meat you can find.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I have been back to dieting since basically the beginning of the year and have lost 34 pounds so far. Actually re-lost is a better way of saying it. Anyway, in order to get away with eating enough so I don't feel like I am starving, my tactic has been to go with lean meats and lots of veggies-- cutting out quite a bit of the excessive fat and carbs. Some of my tricks for meals meat wise:

1/2 of a 14oz package of turkey smoked sausage is only 350 calories. I put that in a low carb tortilla (50 calories) along with some mustard and sauerkraut.

1 can of tuna in water is 100 calories and a tablespoon of light mayo is 35 calories. So 2 cans of tuna and 2T of mayo with some dill relish is only 270 calories. I eat that in some lettuce wraps.

Ballpark makes all white meat turkey hotdogs that are 45 calories each. I eat 4 of those in a couple of those tortillas with mustard, ketchup, and onions, and relish. 300 calories total.

Most boneless hams are very lean and only 30 calories an ounce. That means that a 10 ounce ham steak is 300 calories.

A whole pound of shrimp (precooked weight) is only 320 calories.

80/20 ground beef is only 50 calories an ounce (precooked weight) if you grill or broil it so the fat drains off real good. a 10 ounce hamburger steak is only 500 calories.

Top sirloin steak is only 55 calories an ounce and it is only that if you eat all the fat on the edges (I don't). Most other cuts of beef aren't bad either. The trick is to avoid the fat. The lean meat is just fine.

Wild sockeye salmon has between 60 and 70 calories an ounce, but the fat in it is very good for your heart because of the omega 3's.

Farm raised Atlantic salmon has between 40 and 50 calories an ounce.

Pacific cod is very lean at about 25 calories an ounce. This is what I would do if you are looking for an affordable alternative fish to salmon.

Pork loin if you trim the fat off around the edges is 30 calories an ounce-- the same as lean ham and pork tenderloin.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is 28 calories an ounce.

1 large egg is 70 calories--not bad! But I discovered that if you use Egg Beaters, the egg equivalent (3 tablespoons) is only 25 calories. So 8 "eggs" is only 200 calories.

All that stuff gets steamed, baked, broiled, grilled, or pan fried. The trick to pan frying lean is to put a bit of oil in your cast iron pan and wipe the excess out with a paper towel. It will give you just enough oil to cook decent without adding excess calories to your food. But none of this answered your question. Next post i will get into some ways I like to cook my fish.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Blackened seasoning. DO NOT BUY THE STORE BOUGHT SEASONING!

Most store bought stuff has salt in it. What happens is that when you season it like you should (you put this on the meat/fish pretty heavy) you get salty food. Season with salt to your liking either before or after. Make sure you cook this in a well ventilated area. This recipe rocks!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/174668/blackened-seasoning-mix/

-Thomas Paine
    I like salmon and tuna either raw with wasabi and soy sauce (if the fish was flash frozen and kept frozen for any period of time, it was enough to kill off the parasites. I don't do this with fresh fish) or rare to medium rare when I blacken it.

Baked, broiled, or grilled I like to do Lawry's Season Salt, pepper, and dill. If you really want to get simple, just sprinkle on some Old Bay Seasoning. that is great too. If I do a pan fry, I dust the fillets with flour first, season the same way, and then fry in a bit of butter (34 calories a teaspoon).

Always, the biggest thing with any fish is to not overcook it. Tough, dry fish is miserable. Cooked right and with any sort of reasonable seasoning, the fish is going to be outstanding.

Oh-- and for the foods above, i forgot to add ground turkey. I have made some pretty tasty hamburger steaks with that (along with a slice of swiss and some sauteed mushrooms and/or onions. Anyway, that is 40 calories an ounce pre-cooked weight.
    -Thomas Paine
    Good thing I copied my previous post after I edited it. The system ate it and I typed my ass off writing it. Here is was:

I have been back to dieting since basically the beginning of the year and have lost 34 pounds so far. Actually re-lost is a better way of saying it. Anyway, in order to get away with eating enough so I don't feel like I am starving, my tactic has been to go with lean meats and lots of veggies-- cutting out quite a bit of the excessive fat and carbs. Some of my tricks for meals meat wise:

1/2 of a 14oz package of turkey smoked sausage is only 350 calories. I put that in a low carb tortilla (50 calories) along with some mustard and sauerkraut.

1 can of tuna in water is 100 calories and a tablespoon of light mayo is 35 calories. So 2 cans of tuna and 2T of mayo with some dill relish is only 270 calories. I eat that in some lettuce wraps.

Ballpark makes all white meat turkey hotdogs that are 45 calories each. I eat 4 of those in a couple of those tortillas with mustard, ketchup, and onions, and relish. 300 calories total.

Most boneless hams are very lean and only 30 calories an ounce. That means that a 10 ounce ham steak is 300 calories.

A whole pound of shrimp (precooked weight) is only 320 calories.

80/20 ground beef is only 50 calories an ounce (precooked weight) if you grill or broil it so the fat drains off real good. a 10 ounce hamburger steak is only 500 calories.

Top sirloin steak is only 55 calories an ounce and it is only that if you eat all the fat on the edges (I don't). Most other cuts of beef aren't bad either. The trick is to avoid the fat. The lean meat is just fine.

Wild sockeye salmon has between 60 and 70 calories an ounce, but the fat in it is very good for your heart because of the omega 3's.

Farm raised Atlantic salmon has between 40 and 50 calories an ounce.

Pacific cod is very lean at about 25 calories an ounce. This is what I would do if you are looking for an affordable alternative fish to salmon.

Pork loin if you trim the fat off around the edges is 30 calories an ounce-- the same as lean ham and pork tenderloin.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is 28 calories an ounce.

1 large egg is 70 calories--not bad! But I discovered that if you use Egg Beaters, the egg equivalent (3 tablespoons) is only 25 calories. So 8 "eggs" is only 200 calories.

All that stuff gets steamed, baked, broiled, grilled, or pan fried. The trick to pan frying lean is to put a bit of oil in your cast iron pan and wipe the excess out with a paper towel. It will give you just enough oil to cook decent without adding excess calories to your food. But none of this answered your question. Next post i will get into some ways I like to cook my fish.
    -Thomas Paine
    ...All that stuff gets steamed, baked, broiled, grilled, or pan fried. The trick to pan frying lean is to put a bit of oil in your cast iron pan and wipe the excess out with a paper towel. It will give you just enough oil to cook decent without adding excess calories to your food. But none of this answered your question. Next post i will get into some ways I like to cook my fish.
    This is all great information. Keep it coming, if you have time. Thanks.

I am eating almost zero carbs. No potatoes, no bread (except breakfast) very occasional brown rice, maybe once a week. I have eaten small amounts of ground beef, also maybe once a week, or less. On one or two occasions I have eaten lean steak, oven baked with veggies, or stir-fry.

I eat lots of oven baked veggies, brushed with olive oil, salt, and both black red pepper, with liberal use of onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. I love okra, and can eat it boiled or steamed. I'm not crazy about beets, but eat them roasted, with olive oil pretty well. Mrs. Bisley will eat the pickled ones, and I will happily drink the the leftover juice.

For breakfast I eat 2 poached eggs and a slice of buttered wheat toast and one of those oranges that taste kinda like grapefruit. For snacks, I eat almonds or pistachio nuts, carrots, raisins, etc.

My favorite meal, so far, has been salmon, baked with olive oil and a little butter, with lemon juice, and grilled vegetables.
    tennmike said:
    Depending on where it's from, tilapia is just not edible, ESPECIALLY the Southeast Asia stuff. They feed it poop over there among other unsavory things. Same for catfish fillets. KNOW where it came from.
    My wife and I debate this all of the time. How is eating crap-fed fish different from eating pork or chicken? Name me any protein that a hog or chicken won't eat. I have started arguments about this while standing beside a chicken pen, and then spit a hawker into the chicken pen. They will fight over who gets to eat it. I've watched a sow drink the blood pumping out of it's 'brother's' throat, at a hog-killing. How better to make this point?

Granted that tilapia is not very tasty, and that any fresh caught fish seems better than farm raised, but I'm not quite sure that science supports this belief.
    Gene L said:
    I buy frozen cod loins, come two per package at Publix.  Takes about 25 minutes to thaw one out, and then I steam it on a bamboo steamer.  Maybe 10 minutes or so.  when it flakes, it's done.  I then put sesame oil on it (which has calories) and cajun seasoning and it's very filling and low caloric, low fat.  You can fry it as well, but I don't.
    I will look for the frozen cod loins. Any fish I get will have been frozen for shipping, I think, even for the 'fresh' salmon I'm buying for $8-$9 lb. at Sam's Wholesale Club - that's just the way it is, here. So far, I have only eaten the breaded cod, because that's all I've found, locally. They are OK, but still figure out to be about $3.60 a pound, or higher. That's about the best deal I've found on edible fish, locally, but still seems high for glorified fish sticks. The pollock being sold as imitation crab meat is cheaper, but I've yet to find a way to cook it that makes the taste or texture acceptable to me.

The irony of all of this is that the meat I love is cheaper than the fish that, to me, is a substitute. But, the secret to my dieting success is to stay away from it, altogether.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #18
    Try this: Chop 4 fresh tomatoes and a small red onion (I don't like onion so I use chopped zucchini just for the added taste and consistency) and drop & spread the mix inside a pan with some olive oil and salt; let it cook covered for a while in a low fire and as soon it stars boiling, put over it the fish fillets you want; raise the fire a tad, cover it again and let it cook until you consider the meat is done (Usually just a few minutes).
    You can add inside a few 1/3" potato slices (So they'll cook fast), spinach leaves, asparagus, mushrooms, jalapeños or the veggies you like (They usually have a shorter cooking time so watch out what you put inside the pan and when so nothing is over or under cooked) or even join the fish with some shrimps; a little butter is also OK.

Due to a gall bladder & overweight issues last year I've given up for good beef, pork, soda, sweets, processed foods, almost all alcohol, etc., loosing like 50 lb.s in the process to return to my ideal weight, and in my experience fresh tuna has become a great red meat replacement specially when properly cooked (That is grilled medium rare thick fillets); might be worthwhile to try it.

Our gastronomy has earned abroad a pretty decent reputation during the last year, specially thanks to the effort of this guy; if you can understand Spanish and like to cook, there are quite a few fish recipes in these videos, among others, to try:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gaston+acurio+pescado

Thanks, Antonio.

That 'sounds' delicious, and is very similar to some of the cooking my wife does.

On speaking Spanish - no. I do understand enough words (in print) that I can often get the gist of many written articles, but I rarely recognize the words, when listening to it being spoken - too fast for a country boy from Texas.
    Oh. I have been tracking my calories too. First, just to get a handle on things and figure out where I was screwing up dieting and getting my portions under control, but now that most of my favorite and common foods are in the app, it isn't very much trouble to log every day so I have been doing it. Besides protein, fat, and carbs, I have the app track my calcium and fiber while I am at it. I try to hit my fiber, calcium, and protein goals every day. At a 2 pound a week weight loss, the app has me at just over 2000 calories a day, but I have it set to 1.5 pounds a week to give me a bit of fluff in the day to day. so it has me at 2250 calories.

If anyone is on there or wants to sign up, I go by the name of Jermanator there too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

-Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #21
    I like Tuna, fresh tuna, but any good white fish is good too. Just cook it like you think you'd like it and try it. I have tried Tilapia many times. The stuff we got from a Tilapia farm in the Philippines when we lived there was very good. But the stuff here at HEB sucks. I've been buying Vietnamese Catfish, Waiva or something like that and it is much better than Tilapia.

I still eat fried catfish dipped in seasoned beaten egg and dredged through White Cornmeal. Then fried crisp. I know it's not health food but if you eat that other stuff 7 days a week you will end up at some point going mad and binge eat. That will wipe out your gain, so cheat about once a month with something you really love. Just don't over do it. Then when you've exhausted your supply of super goody go back on plan. It's called stress relief, and it works.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    tennmike said:
    My wife and I debate this all of the time. How is eating crap-fed fish different from eating pork or chicken? Name me any protein that a hog or chicken won't eat. I have started arguments about this while standing beside a chicken pen, and then spit a hawker into the chicken pen. They will fight over who gets to eat it. I've watched a sow drink the blood pumping out of it's 'brother's' throat, at a hog-killing. How better to make this point?

Granted that tilapia is not very tasty, and that any fresh caught fish seems better than farm raised, but I'm not quite sure that science supports this belief.
    Yeah, chikkins and hogs will eat just about anything. I've raised both and seen their 'varied' diet. The thing about the non U.S. tilapia isn't what they eat so much is what is IN what they eat. There is some nasty bacteria in that stuff they eat 'over there', and it's bacteria strains not really prevalent OVER HERE. That methyl-ethyl bad stuff tends to collect in the fat tissue and cooking may not kill it. One of the reasons I refuse to eat sushi.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    The most and easiest weight I ever lost other than Gastric Bypass, that works, was eating Cabbage and chicken almost every day. Very little starch, just Cabbage, maybe some  broccoli and cauliflower thrown in on occassion, and good lean chicken. Something I tried that was an amazing break was cabbage boiled with Shrimp or Crawfish with a few potatoes and corn boiled in Zatarans. Just let the rest of em eat the potatoes and corn and you chow down on the cabbage, and a few shrimp and/or Crawfish. It doesn't sound particularly good but it is.

The other day I boiled a head of cabbage cut in fourths with an onion and two slices of bacon for flavor. Talk about good! I've been eating a fourth a day, and just finished it today.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    The most and easiest weight I ever lost other than Gastric Bypass, that works, was eating Cabbage and chicken almost every day. Very little starch, just Cabbage, maybe some  broccoli and cauliflower thrown in on occassion, and good lean chicken. Something I tried that was an amazing break was cabbage boiled with Shrimp or Crawfish with a few potatoes and corn boiled in Zatarans. Just let the rest of em eat the potatoes and corn and you chow down on the cabbage, and a few shrimp and/or Crawfish. It doesn't sound particularly good but it is.

The other day I boiled a head of cabbage cut in fourths with an onion and two slices of bacon for flavor. Talk about good! I've been eating a fourth a day, and just finished it today.

edited March 2018 #25
    You ever try fish soups? Like asian Sinagang? My Girl Friends Aunt that lives with them makes a fantastic Sinagang na Bangus. Bangus is a Milk Fish. It's similar to a Mullet, but really good. They aren't farm raised, but caught wild out of rivers and streams or right off the beach. Sinagang is a sour soup. You don't need Bangus, suckers and carp willl substitute real nice. They use Tamarine soup  base in Sinagang. You can find a recipe on a package of Tamarine seasoning from an Asian store.
    Some inspiration Bisley. This was 815 calories.
    -Thomas Paine
    This is what just over 1000 calories looks like if you plan right. I couldn't even come close to finishing it all.

This is what I saved for later. The part I consumed was only 633 calories. I was stuffed afterward.

-Thomas Paine
    edited March 2018 #28
    I can eat a Green Bell Pepper by itself, like an apple. I love em. I have like six cans of beets in the cabinet but I keep forgetting to buy some more apple cider vinegar to pickle 'em in. I'll pickle 3 or 4 cans at a time and eat em for days. I've been eating pickled beets and cabbage all week long and it smells like it around here. But it sure improves your essential bodily functions.

When fibery matter moves through you fast it purges a lot of bad guys out of your body. That's gotta be good for you. Drinking lots of water will help the process. It can make you feel like a new man, and you will lose weight.

Some inspiration Bisley. This was 815 calories.
    More like confirmation, actually.

I am eating meals that look a lot like this, nearly every day, thanks to my wife, who is helping me with this new 'eating philosophy.' I am only just now beginning to eat a little bit of red meat, again, because it is my weakness, and I risk going overboard with it. My strategy has been to eat foods that I like OK but am not crazy about, and that has always included a wide array of vegetables, and mushrooms. Practically zero carbs works well for me, and I'm convinced that if I can control my red meat frequency and portion size, permanently, I'll continue to do well. Doing without carbs has not been that hard, and I've never eaten a lot of sugar.

Finding good fish that doesn't cost as much as rib eye would benefit me greatly. I'm looking forward to finding some good tuna, so that I can eat it or salmon whenever I need a treat. And hopefully, I can find some reasonably priced cod or similar that is somewhere in the neighborhood of pork prices. If I was a fisherman, it would help, because this is bass and crappie fishing country.
    Either Sam's Club, Costco, or a local restaurant supply should sell cod loins by the case or in some sort of bulk pack for a reasonable price.
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and those hamburger steaks I showed photos of were ground turkey. Pork loin has been cheap around here and even cheaper on sale. So when it goes for $1.29/lb, I buy some of that up, trim almost all the fat off, and grind some into burgers. What you get are some super lean pork patties that are really good. The only issue is you have to be careful not to over cook them or they dry out .
    -Thomas Paine