Home Main Category Clubhouse

Spam/ virus when viewing the forum

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
Anybody else getting this? I usually browse on mobile and this forum routinely redirects to a popup or new page with virus warnings, links to fix my phone, etc..  you can't go backand have to close the page. 

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #2
    I had something funny happen a few days ago where it said my computer was infected and I needed to call some number on my screen. It make funny noises and had warnings.........Norton stopped it and it said do not turn off your computer............or else............ I did and restarted it and then went to Norton and it showed some attempts.........

I ran a quick scan and a full system scan and whatever it was was quarantined and no action required by me.

I thought it was this new site, but I don't think so. Then I thought it was that emoji site, don't think so. Only thing I did was go to a site where I Googled SCCY and bbl damage from another thread by FFLshooter to read up on it. Some forum or gun site I've never been to before.

Never been there before some forum. So I went back to Norton Safe Search for everything I lookup, turned it off because it doesn't off the options when you search like others search engines.

I can go look what it was in Norton, maybe.   
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Yes. I would get it sporadically before the upgrade but now it's daily 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #4
    Buffco said:
    Anybody else getting this? I usually browse on mobile and this forum routinely redirects to a popup or new page with virus warnings, links to fix my phone, etc..  you can't go backand have to close the page. 
    This is an example of a Malware attack on your mobile device. It's usually a hardsell scam that redirects you to a page with doom and gloom claims that you're infested with problems and only they can fix it. You have to call them immediately....... Don't you do it.

Get an anti-virus/anti-Malware program for your device, make sure you have all the downloads and run a complete scan.

Then just leave it on and allow it to continue monitoring.

There's a lot of good programs to choose from so take your pick.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I added Ad blocker and it still don't help. Got a virus warning half a dozen times today. It used to say I was a winner now it's a virus. I'm android maybe apple don't have them. 
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You are a winner of a virus.

I'd like to pistol whup those weasels who do that stuff with a good heavy all steel revolver.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Yes...infrequently a red pop-up says I have two threats and invites me to subscribe to something I think called Byte Fence.(IIRC)  I also get a notification that there are upgrades available for my computer, but I don't upgrade.  Not sure it's a virus, just another popup.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    I had it pop up a few times the amazon one
    Ran a scan- nothing found. Next time i wet to the phone store. They ran a scan and nothing on the phone. Guy said it is imbedded in the forum. For me, this is the only site it happens on
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    No issues yet
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I got them you win pop ups a few times.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Haven't got one yet on PC just my phone. Running same ad blocker.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Went back to using chrome and nothing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    On my desktop and laptop running Firefox and Ad Block Plus, I'm not seeing it.
    (Maybe the old computers are shmarter than the smartypantsphones and tablets? :smiley: )
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've had numerous "inconveniences" with the forum since the "restructuring". The forum only seems to work flawlessly for people that have Wambli/NASA level internet. I've had adblocker plus for years so that excuse doesn't fly so it appears that this forum only wants activity from people that have high speed internet service available. Somebody besides Wambli should notice that not everyone has that.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    I use Firefox on computer and cell phone with Add Block Plus and no adds. Do have decent internet but pictures do load much slower then they used to.