Home Main Category Hunting

Deer Head vs. .50cal BMG

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Interesting science project. I'd have expected a little more damage, but not much more, from the bullet given the diameter. The A-max bullet in .50 cal. is a pretty heavily jacketed bullet. Basically a high speed half inch drill bit.

Regarding the rifle you're shooting, if it's giving you a headache, and the headache is from whiplash from recoil, may I suggest a more substantial and efficient brake? :smile:

SNAKE, military ball round (black tip) has a steel core inside a heavy gilding metal jacket with a really tiny amount of lead in the tip. They don't expand, AT ALL, unless they hit something made of armor. The M-2 armor piercing ball ammo is constructed like this. The M-2 ball lead core antipersonnel ammo doesn't expand on flesh, either. FMJ isn't really designed to expand, anyway.
    Here's a pic of the M-2 Armor piercing bullet I cut in half to show construction several years ago. Guess the loaded round for bonus points. :)

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    The Barrett has a better brake but crappy accuracy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith