308 Norma

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 680 Senior Member
edited March 31 in General Firearms #1
Well I've done it again, bought a 300 Win mag that is.
It is the Stainless SPS model and it was cheap, it came with a muzzle brake, suppressor, Nightforce 10 Moa rail and 30mm rings and Redding s dies .
Price is immaterial as our dollar is that far from your's it's almost unrelateable these days.

i have an BC Alaskan 11 and an McMillan Edge stock here both bedded for the long action Remmy  that I can put it in so the Factory goes first thing.

I'm seriously, really seriously thinking about rebarreling to the 308 Norma.
I can still then use the go fast bits, suppressor / Brake and The Redding S dies are worth as much as I won't lose money selling them to buy a 308 Norma set.
Brass is surprisingly easy to come by over here. cheaper than wsm actually.
Has anyone had any experience with the 308 Norma magnum?
Any comments would be helpful.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    Can the .300 just be re-chambered instead of re-barreling?? Even if you just set the barrel back one turn to clean up the old chamber!! I'd have to compare dimensions of both but I'll let you do that:)
    Here's some info I found comparing the two!https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4504391/all/308_Norma_Mag_vs_300_Win_Mag
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    My unsubstantiated no experience WAG gut feeling is that any if not all advantage of the 308 Norma comes from a short action.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,053 Senior Member
    I have a very lonely set of RCBS 308 Norma mag die sitting here looking for a home. Free for the asking if you do this project.

Sako
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Thank you Sakodude I shall keep that in mind.

Big Al1
    Thanks for the link. I've tried to get info about the rechambering thing but couldn't find much there was a bit going the other way , but  I would prefer to re barrel as I have a 30cal Bartlein barrel here that I'd like to use.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,207 Senior Member
    I have a 30-338 which for all practical purposes is a ballistic  twin to the 308N.M. both will drive a 190gr. bullet at 3000 fps, my thoughts are unless you are building a special purpose rifle, I would just throat the 300 Win. to seat your bullets to the base of the neck to use the larger case capacity.

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    I might add i never used a 190, my loads were with a 180, thy are Win. cases, 180 gr. Rem. bronze point, 69.5gr IMR 4350, Fed 215, 3122 fps, 5 into 1 1/4", and same case, primer ,and bullet , with 72gr IMR 4831 for 3137fps 5 into 1 3/4"
    This was with a 26" McGowan barrel.

JAY
    Thanks Jaywapti I will certainly consider this, yes I looked at the 30-338 but honest;y would prefer the stamped Norma brass.

I'm hoping to use the 200 or 212 gr ELD-x or the 195-208gr ELD M
    I don't want to get too heavy as It will be too slow the 195-200gr will possibly suit me best, still an unknown though.

And heck, I have never had a custom and just like the idea or the Norma Mag
    When i answered your post i was thinking of practical instead of " I want", i have built several .30 mags, i needed a 30-338 like a hole in the head, but i wanted one, so if you want a 308 N.M. go for it.

JAY
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,250 Senior Member
    I think you just answered your own question.  Properly bedded to a good stock and with a good barrel you are just about guaranteed a great rifle!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,020 Senior Member
    edited April 1 #11
    Ojr, I was going to build a .308 Norma and had bought a Savage 110 in 7 Mag. as a donor. But before I could get it together a guy told me he had a .300 WBY Mag.  Mark V for sale. I got it cheap and went with that for my .30 Mag. I'm happy with that as it trumps all of them except the ultra mags and the .30-378 which don't interest me in the least, I ain't into pain.

But I had done the research and I had concluded that the Norma only gave up an average of 60 FPS to the Win Mag. And like you, I'm into cool factor. Both the Norma and the Win. Mag. are equals in practicality. One point I can't ignore that I feel the Norma has over the Win. is the neck length. Yeah everybody and their dog and their dog's uncle are saying they can't tell a difference in accuracy, but I feel that the shorter neck of the Win. Mag. is more prone to problems than the longer neck of the Norma. Otherwise they are ballistic twins, but for the cool factor I'll go with the Norma over the Win. Mag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks Jay I did appreciate your answer.
    Yes Wambli I think I have 
    Hey Snake , cheers for that, alot of what I was thinking.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    My unsubstantiated no experience WAG gut feeling is that any if not all advantage of the 308 Norma comes from a short action.
    308 Norma is not a short action cartridge.  It's what the 300 Win Mag would've been, had Norma not done it first.  
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    308 Norma is not a short action cartridge.  It's what the 300 Win Mag would've been, had Norma not done it first.  
    Is there an advantage over the 300 win mag?
    ojr said:
    Thanks Jay I did appreciate your answer.
    Yes Wambli I think I have 
    YW Ojr, but i was just following my instincts.

But whoever said it was a short action cartridge is not correct. It is not a super long magnum action cartridge, but rather an 06 length cartridge. It will fit nicely without cramping into an action that comfortably accepts an 06 length cartridge.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Is there an advantage over the 300 win mag?
    It has a nice longer neck which facilitates fewer actual or perceived reloading problems. It gives up nothing from a practical stand point to a 300 Win. Mag. and fits into a standard long action such as is fit for an 06 case without cramping.
    Longer neck, unique head stamp.👍
    Longer neck, unique head stamp.👍
    Yes, and it's a classic too! It's really deep into the Aesthetics. It's just a great classical round.
    edited April 13 #19
    It's embarrassing as i have posted about it but I actually never got the rifle .
    Over here to buy at distance there has to be police verification of both  parties having a current licence, then an email is sent to the seller than the sale can go ahead
    In my case i did everything right but the police somehow mucked up, the seller never got his email inspite of me visiting the police twice to find out about it, he got sick of waiting and relisted.
    Pity as it was a very good buy
    However something else will crop up and the project will go ahead.
    soon i hope.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Maybe find a 30-06 and have it rechambered and the bolt face opened up? Used 700 '06 should be a dime a dozen anywhere in the world guns are legal
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited April 27 #21
    Maybe find a 30-06 and have it rechambered and the bolt face opened up? Used 700 '06 should be a dime a dozen anywhere in the world guns are legal
    Either that or a 7 Mag. There's lots of 7 mags out there maybe some cheaper ones with shot out barrels. With the 7 mag. you don't even have to open up the bolt face, just screw a barrel in and have it head spaced. You're done.

edited April 28 #22
    And Gentlemen I have  a 1990 built BDL 30 06 that is going to be used for that very purpose.
    Great minds huh and all that.
    In the meantime i have also acquired an Heckler and Koch 630 in 223, But i will not post about it until it is in my hands

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,690 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    And Gentlemen I have  a 1990 built BDL 30 06 that is going to be used for that very purpose.
    Great minds huh and all that.
    In the meantime i have also acquired an Heckler and Koch 630 in 223, But i will not post about it until it is in my hands

Oh, much envy, the .308 version was my jr. high fantasy
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11