Home Main Category Clubhouse

What is this ? & what is it for ?

Old RonOld Ron Senior MemberPosts: 4,265 Senior Member
I have asked these two questions so many times here that I thought might as well start a thread. I hope I am not the only one . Here is one I asked today.
What are the brass things & what are they used for?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I've given the Dixie Gunworks catalogue a thorough search thinking that they were black powder accessories because of the brass. No luck.

My WAG guess is spouts for a pastry bag like bakers use to decorate cakes. Or maybe candle snuffers🔍
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    These were in with the gunsmith estate so I was leaning towards something to do with guns. I guess at worst they are scrap brass.
    Thanks for looking.
    Ron
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    are they perhaps some sort of chamber adapter? First thing that comes to mind is the chamber adapters they use in Co2 powered revolvers firing pellets.

Sako
    That looks close but the brass ones have a tinny pin hole in the tapered end.
    Maybe it has something to do with this hunk of scrap too.

Old Ron said:
    Maybe it has something to do with this hunk of scrap too.

That's a black powder drop tube if you don't already know that. 

Sako
    No I didn't know that .... why such a long tube ?
    Old Ron said:
    No I didn't know that .... why such a long tube ?
    Used for dropping black powder charges, dropping the powder allows it to compact a bit as it fills the case allowing for a denser charge that as I was told, improves burn. Also used for some smokeless powder where they might be near a compressed load. I've used a makeshift version for years to load black powder 40-65 cartridges.

Sako 
    Way cool Sako then the small brass cups may be to measure black power with. I do no black powder at all. In this buy I received around 50 1# cans of powder too. This all makes sense now. Thanks
    Ron
    Old Ron said:
    Way cool Sako then the small brass cups may be to measure black power with. I do no black powder at all. In this buy I received around 50 1# cans of powder too. This all makes sense now. Thanks
    Ron
    I'd be interested in buying that if it's something you want to be rid of. Shoot me a PM with a price if your so inclined.

Sako
    I think I sent you a PM & yes i am inclined . lol

Some early breech loaders and their contemporary reproductions use paper cartridges. Maybe the previous owner used them as a tool to assist in the making of those. I've read about a rare Colt revolver that loaded tapered brass cases from the front of the cylinder. IIRC it was called a Thuer. The radiused opening at the larger end would I think exclude such possible use in any transitional type arm, but would be great for receiving the open end of a paper cartridge.

Of course thats all conjecture on my part.
    Those are way better thoughts about it than I had.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #16
    Ron, if the ones you have in the picture have the same size hole in the big end, then they are cartridges for the Burnside Carbine used in the Civil War. Here's a pic:

Image result for burnside carbine cartridge
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Thanks Mike . Wambli ski just sent that to me in old guns. That is cool stuff. Now I am on scope mounts tub. Might be tough to match up rings to make sets. Just thought of that one.
    In case you need enabling to seek out a carbine, they were invented by Union General Ambrose Burnside when he wasn't busy sending Irishmen to their death at Fredericksburg.

One was also used against the fleeing James gang by an angry citizen of Northfield Minnesota.

In case you need enabling to seek out a carbine, they were invented by Union General Ambrose Burnside when he wasn't busy sending Irishmen to their death at Fredericksburg.

One was also used against the fleeing James gang by an angry citizen of Northfield Minnesota.

Learning about this old stuff really is interesting to me. My granny told me that Mr. Howard was in this area a few times & was well thought of or maybe that was billy the kids name he used. Those stories were told to me many years ago. She would sing a song to me called the dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard.
    Old Ron said:

Learning about this old stuff really is interesting to me. My granny told me that Mr. Howard was in this area a few times & was well thought of or maybe that was billy the kids name he used. Those stories were told to me many years ago. She would sing a song to me called the dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard.
    Dixie Gun works still sells a Brunside replica, to the best of my knowledge.
    Nope. Checked Dixie and they no longer have it. They still have the Sharps breechloader that uses paper cartridges, though.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,293 Senior Member
    I would be interested in one of those Burnside cartridges for my collection. If you want to sell one send me a pm with a price.
    In all my years I have never seen a gun like that one.
    Had so much fun with the stuff yesterday here are 2 more.
    These are for bench shooting ........right ?
    In my bench days I just used sand or lead bags. ( yep I'm old )

Both are used for front rest ? Or do they clamp both ends now ?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    Hey! You got an Easy button!! I had one on my desk at work, never used it much:)
    Hi there Al !
    Same here I think it works yet.
    I just went to my garage & yep I have 2 more of those bench rests.
    Why would anyone need 4 of those?
    Then they bag the front like the old days ? The adjusting jaws made me think clamp in.
    Guess it is the new way to bench shoot. The second question I have is why would 1 guy need 4 of these ?
    Old Ron said:
    Guess it is the new way to bench shoot. The second question I have is why would 1 guy need 4 of these ?
    The quest for the perfect rifle rest would be my guess. :smile:
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Old Ron said:
    The quest for the perfect rifle rest would be my guess. :smile:
    Probably would be a easier quest than finding a perfect woman
    The Easter meal nap lasted longer than I ever thought it would !