Home Main Category Clubhouse

What is this ? & what is it for ?

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Looks like bag & tag day for the table of stuff. 2 tubs of stuff might have been a tad optimistic .
    Does anyone know what works well on old leather ? I always used saddle soap but was reading this weekend & it said that was not good for leather. I have a tub of holsters & belts that need cleaning.
    ( imagine that me with a tub of stuff )
    cpj said:
    Neatsfoot oil for old leather. 
    Thanks cpj  !
    That is sold at wallyworld here so will grab som when out running today. Should I Rub on ? spray on & soak ?
    I have never heard of it.
    cpj said:
    Rub it in, wipe off the excess. 
    Just picked up a 32oz.
    That should be enough for the things I have here. Thanks again for the 411 on this stuff.
    As soon as I can make some room on the table I will try some of this stuff out.
    That sounds like a plan.
    This is some of what I am dealing with.........sry about the toe of my boot in the pic. I was in a hurry.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    In case you need enabling to seek out a carbine, they were invented by Union General Ambrose Burnside when he wasn't busy sending Irishmen to their death at Fredericksburg.

One was also used against the fleeing James gang by an angry citizen of Northfield Minnesota.

Learning about this old stuff really is interesting to me. My granny told me that Mr. Howard was in this area a few times & was well thought of or maybe that was billy the kids name he used. Those stories were told to me many years ago. She would sing a song to me called the dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard.
    Howard was the name Jesse James took.  The dirty little coward was Robert Ford.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    From a kid hearing that to an old man trying to recall it ..........I didn't mess that up to bad !
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    That sounds like a plan.
    This is some of what I am dealing with.........sry about the toe of my boot in the pic. I was in a hurry.
    I see an of old Mexican Loop holster that have some potential if you have the right single action to fill it
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    That sounds like a plan.
    The toe of that right boot looks a little used too.👢
    Old Ron said:
    That sounds like a plan.
    The toe of that right boot looks a little used too.👢
    I thought the same thing when I posted the pic.  lol

I will get these cleaned off & take another pic. so you can get a better look at them.
    I will wipe them off with a clean wet rag first. The leather is dirty & seems a bit stiff but I did not see cracks.
    I needed to get another pic. of the grips to show a member on my old guns thread.
    Busy guy here today.............I did have a bit of a set back when a couple tubs of stuff fell off the chair & spilled all over the floor. There is always a price to pay when you rush doing things.

As long as I am in the leather zone I drug out a real old leather gun case.......I think it is for a take down shotgun. Needs some TLC

It used to be common practice to break down a double and transport in that style of case...back in the day they were called "leg o mutton" cases.   
    The most common point of failure in these vintage cases are the straps...particularly those that hold the cap in place...
    Jayhawker said:
    It used to be common practice to break down a double and transport in that style of case...back in the day they were called "leg o mutton" cases.   
    The most common point of failure in these vintage cases are the straps...particularly those that hold the cap in place...
    Now I will have to break down one of my old doubles & see how it fits in there.
    Was this design of case used for just doubles or anything that would fit ?
    Thought as long as I have all the scope rings out on the table ......might as well see what scopes I have that they might fit on.
    I think the wood thing is a deal that is for making felt hats.

This table doesn't seem to want to ever get cleaned up.
    I did manage to wipe these down. ( until I started looking for clips )
    Are the things with the laces on for a cheek rest on the stock ? ( just guessing here )
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Are the things with the laces on for a cheek rest on the stock ? ( just guessing here )
    top row, second from right does look like a lace on cheek piece. Some interesting old leather there for sure.

Sako
    I just cleaned them with a wet clean cloth they look better than before. I have to get some things ready for a flea market this weekend so am scrambling around here looking for things to take there.
    Old Ron said:
    Guess no longer... that's exactly what it is....
    I plan to dump some this stuff & it is nice to know what it is. It makes it tough to sell when you have to say I have no idea what it is but I want twenty bucks for it lol I actually have done that in the past but get some really strange looks when I do.
    Thanks Jay
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Guess it is the new way to bench shoot. The second question I have is why would 1 guy need 4 of these ?
    Need? That is a very slippery slope for a gun nut. I avoid discussions of need, whenever possible.

I over accumulated for many years. Now I look at things in new  ways . I ask myself .....do I need this ...........do I like this ......can I afford this ?  Then the biggest question is where will I put this ? That process has slowed me down a lot. ( until I get bigger buildings to put stuff in)
    Has anyone heard of a 20% increase in the cost of ammo ? A guy today said he heard that but didn't recall where he did.
    I do mostly all my own re-loads so that wouldn't bother me unless they put that on components also.
    Taxing us into submission may come to fruition in the future. For now, it's just hysterics.
    The good news is I & probably most of us have enough supply on hand to many years of higher prices. When the .22 shortage hit I just sat back & laughed at people buying .22 for $20.00 a box of 50. Saw a guy do that at an auction & he bought 40 boxes. Even the auctioneer was surprised & asked the guy if he knew that price was for one box. I just shook my head as he took them all. Some days I think they need drug testing for people at auctions.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Taxing us into submission may come to fruition in the future. For now, it's just hysterics.
    Good evaluation. Hysteria is rampant on television. Sometimes, it seems like all of the intelligent people are backing off, waiting for reason to return, rather than offering up plans that will not be listened to.
    Does anyone know when the Winchester 1897 take down for arm had the 3 hole screw ?
    This one is way different than my other 97 parts.

Taking a break here......after every load of stuff down the steps.
    Best I can find about that forearm is that it is early 97 production so some had the 3 hole & some did not on the C upgrade. At the prices I see for that stick of wood I think mine will be the updated version. ( this would be easier if I knew how to spell )
    G&A had a pretty good article about the model 12 in May's edition. Said the mechanism drew heavily from the 97'.

Look for other old guys at gun shows. Someone's bound to have a book about 97s. If you can't write your own by then.