Home Main Category Clubhouse

My eyes are going downhill

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,727 Senior Member
Went to the range today.  Shot my Remington 741 with a scope (of course) and using SK match ammo, (!!!!) punched a hole of slightly larger than bore diameter at 25 yards, which was as far as I could shoot today.  OK, with my morale built up, I took my 39a and attempted to hit the top right diamond on a Redfield sight in target.  To my disappointment, the target was fuzzy and indistinct and the best I could do was about 1 3/4" or so.  CCI minimags.  So I switched to the center diamond which is about two inches and was able to get a 1" group, but the target was still fuzzy.

So it's an appointment with my eye doctor this week to get glasses.  My 73 year old eyes need some help.  I used to wear glasses but haven't in about 10 years or so, and I wonder if the sudden slippage has anything to do with computer screens.

Sad day.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Check for cataracts, too, when at the optometrists. Cataracts are the devil on vision close and long range.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    You are not alone Gene.
    What I can't hit with a rifle .............I can scare the hell out of !
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Vision can be corrected and focused with sighting aids.

You'll be back shooting expert in time for summer.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Check for cataracts, too, when at the optometrists. Cataracts are the devil on vision close and long range.
    Did the cataract thing.  I need glasses, I think.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 524 Senior Member
    I had to have my right eye worked on a year ago for the old Cadillac problem. They made some other changes and installed a corrective lens that almost got me back to 20/20. Then I checked in to the forum today for the first time in awhile and thought I'd really lost my vision! Didn't recognize the format.;)
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    Gene L said:
    tennmike said:
    Did the cataract thing.  I need glasses, I think.
    Depending on your implants they may have shifted a bit. If that's the case then corrective lenses will take care of that. Good luck with it and get back to shooting tight groups!

― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    I still need glasses for my left eye and will for the right one, too even after the cataract surgery.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #9
    Finally got glasses for my 50th trip around the sun.  Bifocals even.  I'll be switching to single vision lenses though... those bifocals get in the way too damned often. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Actually, went to the eye doctor today convinced I was going blind.  He said my eyes were fine, actually better than last year.  About 20-25 uncorrected.  Still have an astigmatism which probably contributed to the difficulty.  Getting glasses for that would be a waste of money for the small improvement it would make.
    I posted this before, but it went to the ether.  Anyway, I went to the eye doctor for an eye test and found out my vision had actually improved over the last year.  So I don't need glasses.  The doc said my problem stated above could  be the result of pollen or something.

My vision is 20/25.  I need readers for up close but not for shooting.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Finally got glasses for my 50th trip around the sun.  Bifocals even.  I'll be switching to single vision lenses though... those bifocals get in the way too damned often. 
    Try progressive lens(no line). I think you would like those much more.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    I guess I'm lucky. I had perfect vision until around the age of 44 or so. Since then I have needed reading glasses for the computer and small print, and have used basically the same prescription all that time.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Since my cataract surgery last year I have 20/20 uncorrected and only use reading glasses for reading and computer. Only problem is that I now do not have a dominant eye, so shooting is interesting.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Thought about those and asked for the difference in price... decided not worth it.  I'll have my single vision prescription and use readers for the rest.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    RugerFan said:

Do not progressive still have the line for the wearer, just that other people can't see it? 
    Actually, went to the eye doctor today convinced I was going blind.  He said my eyes were fine, actually better than last year.  About 20-25 uncorrected.  Still have an astigmatism which probably contributed to the difficulty.  Getting glasses for that would be a waste of money for the small improvement it would make.
    NN said:

Do not progressive still have the line for the wearer, just that other people can't see it?

No line, but a section that is shaped like the lower end of an hourglass, in which the magnification is "progressive."  In other words, you can move your eyes slightly and instead of having only two planes, you have a broad section of magnification.  Which is what I had when I wore glasses.

NN said:

No line, but a section that is shaped like the lower end of an hourglass, in which the magnification is "progressive."  In other words, you can move your eyes slightly and instead of having only two planes, you have a broad section of magnification.  Which is what I had when I wore glasses.

Forum is acting up again, posting stuff I posted a couple of days ago.  I don't have edit power, either.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    I've had 2 pair of lined bifocals and am currently wearing my second pair of progressives.

The drawback of the progressives are in peripheral vision
    The corrective area was described to me as "bell shaped" and holding them away from me, that's pretty much spot on.

I find it slightly more difficult to shoot with a scope from the bench with the progressives due to the different amount of correction where I have to look through them when on the gun
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

OK tnx
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I'm with KP on the progressive lenses. Peripheral vision goes to hell. God save the jaywalking pedestrians stepping off the curb, cause I sure couldn't see them. Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    I've worn progressives for several years. I never had a problem adjusting to them until I got my current pair. The earlier ones my optometrist ground them himself and the prescription ran all the way across each lens from left to right. My current pair was bought with vision insurance and their lab had to grind the lens. Now the prescription is only a narrow part in the middle. I need new glasses and I'm thinking about not.filing on insurance.