Do you remember the first time you ever fired a gun?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,092 Senior Member

The "first gun" thread got me to thinking about this.  The title says it all.

For me, I guess it was a BB gun I got for my 8th birthday.  Not long after that, I shot my dad's 22 rifle.  I remember that like it was yesterday.

Where I grew up, there was a lot of caliche.  There were big caliche pits dug where the caliche gravel had been quarried, and were pretty much open to anyone who wanted to use them.  One could drive into them and shoot safely into the surrounding walls and not worry about where the bullet would end up.

So, on the big day, my dad told me he would take me to a caliche pit and let me shoot his 22 rifle.  I didn't know what caliche was, and asked.  My dad told me it was stuff used in building roads.  The image that immediately sprang to mind was bubbling, hot tar.  I pictured myself standing on the brink of a tar pit, and dropping the rifle when I fired due to the  recoil.  He assured me that wouldn't happen, as he would be standing right beside me.

When we got there, I was very relieved to learn what caliche was.  When I fired the rifle, I was amazed at the lack of recoil, asked my dad if it fired.  He assured me it did.  I've been hooked ever since.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    Yes and the smell.
    .22's at a friend of my father.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,698 Senior Member
    .22's of course. We had lots of friends on farms and they always had barn rifles for pests. When I was 15 I spent two weeks on Northern Wisconsin in a remote area. We brought boxes of .22 shorts, because they were 10 cents cheaper than long rifles. We cleared the woods of all the Axis powers and made it safe again for democracy!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    First one I remember shooting was a Nickeled S&W 36 with mother of pearl grips
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    My Dad didn't take careful account of a boy's size, and he wasn't partial to expenses he didn't see as necessary.

IIRC, my first time was the sight in shots for his scoped Ruger Deerfield carbine to go deer hunting. Once he saw I could handle that he let me use an old beat up 12ga shotgun to hunt small game.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    edited April 2 #6
    Not really sure, but one was a pistol with a co2 cartridge in the grip. I think it was one that you shook 5 from the reservoir into the ready rack and then had 5 shots.

I remember a single shot .22 with a plunger and shootin a .22 revolver between Fort Myers and Lehigh Acres when nothing was on that road except canals and plenty cattails and skeeter hawks. Late 50s and early 60s.

Heck, we used to go shootin in Cape Coral where all the roads they built in anticipation of developments were still empty of houses on them until up into the 80s when I was on leave and the Yam Dankees would call the Sheriff when they heard anything resembling a gunshot or a loud.  Farting smiley animated emoticon 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    Yes...it went like this....unwrapped Daisy Red Ryder on my 8th birthday....headed outside to try it out with the warning "Don't shoot the cat" echoing in my ears....see subject cat and seen him a suitable Target of Opportunity...Red Ryder is confiscated by offended parent for a month.

Strangely the following November I received a 16 gauge single shot.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    When I was 6 y.o. I got a Crosman .22 cal. Model 140 pellet gun. Pump it up to 8 times and it would kill rabbits and squirrels. Same year my Dad let me shoot his .22 LR rifle. And the same year in the fall, my Granddad gave me his Marble's Gamegetter .410/.22. At that point I was collecting coke and beer bottles on the backroads and highway with a vengeance to support my shooting habit! Bottle deposits paid for a lot of shooting and definitely gave me all the exercise I could stand collecting them!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    edited April 2 #9
     I first shot a BB Gun when I was 7 years old.My dad bought it for me at the local Western Auto. The first REAL gun I shot was an M-1 Carbine a friend of my dad had. I shot about 10 shots into a 55 gallon drum about 30 feet away. The sound, the smell, I was immediately hooked for life.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    Shot my brothers BB gun at about 7 but first 22 was my grandfathers Remington pump 22,at 8 years old. Had to protect my grandmothers fruit trees from the marauding birds

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    NO
    I have a need for speed
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    Yep. Shot a Maxwell House coffee can at about ten feet in Mio, Michigan with a 22LR. A bit later, with my Dads' help, I shredded a 2x4 with a 12 gauge. I started kindergarten shortly thereafter. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    Yes.  It was a .22 Short Winchester thumb-trigger model in about 1952 or so.  I'd shot BB guns before that, but don't count them.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    Yes, it was my dad's .22 bolt action rifle. But, my dad had a gun that shot match sticks. Why did it shoot match sticks?? I have no idea. Wish that gun was still around.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Yes...it went like this....unwrapped Daisy Red Ryder on my 8th birthday....headed outside to try it out with the warning "Don't shoot the cat" echoing in my ears....see subject cat and seen him a suitable Target of Opportunity...Red Ryder is confiscated by offended parent for a month.

Strangely the following November I received a 16 gauge single shot.....
    Could have been worse...you could have shot your eye out!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    No
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    At about 15 I shot a friends Ithica Deerslayer in the woods behind his house.  Never touched a real gun again until I joined the Army at 17.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    First shot ever was my dad's buddy's small .22 pistol - a Woodsman or High Standard with a grip that a little 4-5 year old could sort of wrap his mitt around.

Target was a typical cardboard backer stapled to two wooden uprights, only special in that the face of the cardboard was totally caked with about two inches of snow that had stuck to it in a recent storm.

Pulled the trigger and every bit of that snow fell to the ground. . .and the switch in my brain CLICKED - "I can stand HERE, and make stuff happen over THERE!"  Pretty much a case of instant addiction.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,288 Senior Member
    edited April 3 #19
    NN said:
    NO
    Insert snarky/sarcastic comment about matchlocks, bronze barreled cannon, and/or T-Rexes here
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 286 Member
    After plenty of BB and pellet mischief during boyhood, first real firearm was a single shot .22 at Boy Scout camp, something like the Marlin model 10 barn find I have now.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    I got a Daisy pump when I was eight, but I had already been firing the single shot Stevens .22 for as long as I could remember (under close supervision). I shot the Bisley Colt in my avatar, when I was 10 or 11.

The Daisy pump had a screw-in, 50 round, spring-loaded magazine, and cost $8, nearly three dollars higher than the lever model, which was considerably less powerful, and had to be shaken occasionally to insure proper feeding. My dad pointed these things out to me, and stressed that this 'rifle' was not for the average knuckle-headed kid, and had to be treated with care and respect for the extra power. I listened carefully and agreed with everything he said. As a result, I didn't shoot the window out of the kitchen door, until the second day. The window pane cost $3.25, and the gun hung on the wall with an envelope thumb-tacked underneath it, with $3.25 printed on it. I didn't get to touch the gun again until the envelope contained $3.25. I don't remember how long it took for me to raise the $3.25, but it seemed like several months.

I learned many more things than how to shoot, from that experience.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    NO
    Insert snarky/sarcastic comment about matchlocks, bronze barreled cannon, and/or T-Rexes here
    Pilgrim with gun animated emoticon
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    bisley said:
    I got a Daisy pump when I was eight, but I had already been firing the single shot Stevens .22 for as long as I could remember (under close supervision). I shot the Bisley Colt in my avatar, when I was 10 or 11.

The Daisy pump had a screw-in, 50 round, spring-loaded magazine, and cost $8, nearly three dollars higher than the lever model, which was considerably less powerful, and had to be shaken occasionally to insure proper feeding. My dad pointed these things out to me, and stressed that this 'rifle' was not for the average knuckle-headed kid, and had to be treated with care and respect for the extra power. I listened carefully and agreed with everything he said. As a result, I didn't shoot the window out of the kitchen door, until the second day. The window pane cost $3.25, and the gun hung on the wall with an envelope thumb-tacked underneath it, with $3.25 printed on it. I didn't get to touch the gun again until the envelope contained $3.25. I don't remember how long it took for me to raise the $3.25, but it seemed like several months.

That's the exact BB gun I had, except I shot a plate glass window with mine. It would fire 2 BBs instead of one on the 1st shot after reloading - guess which shot I was on when I hit that window? Yep, 2 holes!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member

I almost did that once.  I don't remember what I was shooting at, but it was hard enough to make the BB bounce back.  Fortunately, it hit me just under my left eye on the cheek.

No harm, no foul.  You can bet that my folks never heard about it, too.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I was 9 when my brother and I each got a Daisy model 25 for Christmas and the following year I fired my first powder burning gun. My dad used to take us duck hunting with him and he offered to let me shoot his Ted Williams model 12 from the boat in a duck blind. I rested it on the edge of the blind and touched off a pretty heavy duck load which put me on my back in the bottom of the boat.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    I am thinking it was a little single shot .22 at my Grandpa’s ... 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I almost did that once.  I don't remember what I was shooting at, but it was hard enough to make the BB bounce back.  Fortunately, it hit me just under my left eye on the cheek.

My BB bounce back was shooting at one of those road reflector thingies at essentially point-blank range - probably 3 feet at best. Bounced back and hit me right in the center of the forehead!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
     I first shot a BB Gun when I was 7 years old.My dad bought it for me at the local Western Auto. The first REAL gun I shot was an M-1 Carbine a friend of my dad had. I shot about 10 shots into a 55 gallon drum about 30 feet away.

There's a guy from Port O'Connor I went to school with that was shooting at a snake with a 12 Ga. and hit a limb off a tree lying on the ground and one bb bounced back and took out his eye.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,979 Senior Member
    My first was a BB gun by age 8 I was shooting a over under 22-410.
    The went to the store & bought my 410. As a kid I was never given a gun by my parents. Dad was a FFL dealer so when I did want one he could get them cheaper for me. ( I still had to pay for them ) I was & am a life member of the NRA as is my dad & did the junior target things at shoots with my BB gun. I think I still have the medals & patches I won around here some place. ( fun times ! )
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    My ex-BIL shot a live .22 round on top of a fence post, and has a glass eye, now. But, it wasn't from the BB - it was from the .22 case.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    bisley said:

Same velocity as the lever actions, about 350 fps.  They had a rep for being stronger, but they really weren't.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06