Do you remember the first time you ever fired a gun?

2»

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 844 Senior Member

I don't remember if this was the first BB gun I shot, but when I was 12 I got one of these Crosman Model 760 multi-pump BB guns.

Big Chief said:
    Not really sure, but one was a pistol with a co2 cartridge in the grip. I think it was one that you shook 5 from the reservoir into the ready rack and then had 5 shots.

I remember a single shot .22 with a plunger and shootin a .22 revolver between Fort Myers and Lehigh Acres when nothing was on that road except canals and plenty cattails and skeeter hawks. Late 50s and early 60s.

Heck, we used to go shootin in Cape Coral where all the roads they built in anticipation of developments were still empty of houses on them until up into the 80s when I was on leave and the Yam Dankees would call the Sheriff when they heard anything resembling a gunshot or a loud.  Farting smiley animated emoticon 
    BC, you must be a fellow Florida Native.  How many other people on here know what a skeeter hawk is?

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 402 Member
    My first time shooting was a 22 of some sort and age I don’t know. I do know when I was in kindergarten when I got my first gun. We were at a flea market and my dad bought me a single shot New England arms 4-10. I know walking around after the purchase with it broke open over my shoulder I was 10 foot tall. I haven’t shot that gun in several years but I will never part with it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Not really sure, but one was a pistol with a co2 cartridge in the grip. I think it was one that you shook 5 from the reservoir into the ready rack and then had 5 shots.

I remember a single shot .22 with a plunger and shootin a .22 revolver between Fort Myers and Lehigh Acres when nothing was on that road except canals and plenty cattails and skeeter hawks. Late 50s and early 60s.

Heck, we used to go shootin in Cape Coral where all the roads they built in anticipation of developments were still empty of houses on them until up into the 80s when I was on leave and the Yam Dankees would call the Sheriff when they heard anything resembling a gunshot or a loud.  Farting smiley animated emoticon 
    BC, you must be a fellow Florida Native.  How many other people on here know what a skeeter hawk is?

I know and I was 19 years old before I ever set foot on Florida soil. In Texas we have Skeeter Hawks too!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yep, it's a Southern term.  I don't know about Texas, but most people who call themselves Floridians.....aren't.  Asking them what a skeeter hawk is weeds out the fakes.  My mom's family has been in Florida since before 1872.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    I haven't a clue - the only large raptors I've seen are apparently some kind of Buzzards. Not like the "Chicken Hawks" (Red Tailed Hawk) we had in Cali.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Could have been worse...you could have shot your eye out!

I almost did that once.  I don't remember what I was shooting at, but it was hard enough to make the BB bounce back.  Fortunately, it hit me just under my left eye on the cheek.

No harm, no foul.  You can bet that my folks never heard about it, too.

My BB bounce back was shooting at one of those road reflector thingies at essentially point-blank range - probably 3 feet at best. Bounced back and hit me right in the center of the forehead!
    Ahhhh. . .BBguns. . .

Mine was a King or Markham King Red Ryder look-alike that my Dad found in the attic of the house we lived in for a year around 1977-78.  That thing was probably 40+ years old then, but it chugged through a lot of copper spheres before I finally killed it.  I shot it a lot even after I started on the .22 - - BB's in the back yard; .22 when we went out to the sticks.

My favorite "big game" BB targets were flies and grasshoppers - engaged without a great deal of thought as to what they were sitting on.  The result of that was a fair amount of bounce-back.  Never got any more than stings from them, but in retrospect, I'd have probably been safer with a .30-06.  The surrounding neighborhood might not have been, but the projectiles sure wouldn't have bounced back at me off most stuff.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    zorba said:
    I haven't a clue - the only large raptors I've seen are apparently some kind of Buzzards. Not like the "Chicken Hawks" (Red Tailed Hawk) we had in Cali.

You failed the test....but I already knew you were not a Floridian.  Behold the great and powerful Skeeter Hawk!

So named because they are Nature's Mosquito Control Department.

zorba said:

You failed the test....but I already knew you were not a Floridian.  Behold the great and powerful Skeeter Hawk!

zorba said:

OOOOKAAAAY!!!  That was weird!.  Forum told me it failed to post my comment three times.  I closed the tab on the web browser and re-opened it and I have three identical posts.  Oh yeah, this software has certainly been "improved".
    zorba said:

Ah! Ok, we were told those are called "Mosquito Eaters"!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    zorba said:

zorba said:

Chicken hawks, are in my experience older male gay guys who prey on "chickens," or young boys.

What I knew as a skeeter hawk is a crane fly, but long legs. 
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    zorba said:

zorba said:

Chicken hawks, are in my experience older male gay guys who prey on "chickens," or young boys.

What I knew as a skeeter hawk is a crane fly, but long legs. 
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,168 Senior Member

Skeeter Hawks look a whole lot like Dragon Flies to me.

As for BB guns, I shot a few sparrows, but a whole lot of lizards when I was a kid.  Perhaps one of the best shots I ever made was on a lizard with a BB gun.  I still remember it.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Best (ok, luckiest, skill had nothing to do with it) shot I ever made was on a pigeon with a Crosman .22 cal pellet gun.  The pigeon was up in a large dead tree.  I saw the pellet miss wide left, strike the tree trunk behind him and ricochet back through the pigeons head. 

Luckiest shot for me was a bumble bee that was annoying me at my little outdoor shooting gallery I had made for my BB gun. I told it, "If you land...", and it promptly did. I swung the BB rifle up from the hip pulling the trigger as I did so. Hit the bee, dead square on - about 8 feet away. No skill involved, just dumb luck!

• Big TBig T New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Don't remember the first time (hey. i'm dayam near 66), but the most memorable shot, was when i was maybe 9 or 10.  Dead old dad did quite a bit of bench shooting and his rifle of choice was a pre 64 Winnie, in ..270, with a 12X Unertl Ultravarmint on it.  He coached n putting the crosshairs on the dot, and that the rifle had a hair trigger.  I drilled that bullseye!

That old rifle resides upstairs.  For some reason, my father traded off the Unertl for a Redfield 3 to 9.  Years later, I found an identical Unertl and mounted it to my Ruger 77V in .22-250.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    Yep, bolt action .22 circa 1957+-. In those days we got all ammo from the local 7-11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    edited April 8 #51
    Gene L said:
    bisley said:
    I got a Daisy pump when I was eight, but I had already been firing the single shot Stevens .22 for as long as I could remember (under close supervision). I shot the Bisley Colt in my avatar, when I was 10 or 11.

The Daisy pump had a screw-in, 50 round, spring-loaded magazine, and cost $8, nearly three dollars higher than the lever model, which was considerably less powerful, and had to be shaken occasionally to insure proper feeding. My dad pointed these things out to me, and stressed that this 'rifle' was not for the average knuckle-headed kid, and had to be treated with care and respect for the extra power. I listened carefully and agreed with everything he said. As a result, I didn't shoot the window out of the kitchen door, until the second day. The window pane cost $3.25, and the gun hung on the wall with an envelope thumb-tacked underneath it, with $3.25 printed on it. I didn't get to touch the gun again until the envelope contained $3.25. I don't remember how long it took for me to raise the $3.25, but it seemed like several months.

I learned many more things than how to shoot, from that experience.
    Same velocity as the lever actions, about 350 fps.  They had a rep for being stronger, but they really weren't.
    You will have to prove that to me, Gene. I used both, and even as a kid, I could tell the difference.

Added later: This is what Wikipedia says on the subject:

"The traditional, and still most common powerplant for BB guns is the spring piston, usually patterned after a lever-action rifle or a pump-action shotgun. The lever-action rifle was the first type of BB gun, and still dominates the inexpensive youth BB gun market. The Daisy Model 25, modeled after a pump-action shotgun with a trombone pump-action mechanism, dominated the low-price, higher-performance market for over 50 years. Lever-action models generally have very low velocities, around 84 m/s (275 ft/s), a result of the weak springs used to keep cocking efforts low for use by youths. The Daisy Model 25 typically achieved the highest velocities of its day, ranging from 114 to 145 m/s (375 to 475 ft/s).[2]"
    When I first got my Daisy pump BB gun, it was so hard to cock that I had to put the butt on the ground and use both hands and my body weight!

When I was a kid, we believed that the pump was faster as well.  Just this week, I bought a lever gun for my grandson.  The literature with it gives the velocity at 350 fps.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    When we were kids, the Model 25 was 375 - 475 fps, and the lever was 275 fps.

It's not unreasonable to believe that the newer levers would be a higher fps, but that's not what you said when you were correcting me in your first post on the subject. I'm simply defending my earlier remarks, which I am glad to do. If I was wrong, I would admit that.
    Go to Daisy's home page and look up the Model 25.  It states there that the MV is 350 fps.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Fine.
    Like I said, I believed it was true when I was a kid.  I think because it was harder to cock.  And it was more expensive.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,282 Senior Member
    First firearm was a friend’s .22 rifle when we were about 12.  He was part of a local rifle team at one of the County’s public schools, with the range in the basement of the gym.

In the school.

Mom didn’t want me to join, so I tagged along sometimes and coach let me shoot a bit after each match.  My cousin of the same age didn’t like it much when we would go squirrel hunting at their cabin and I would outshoot him 3 to 1.

First handgun was my old Hardballer, when it was offered to me.  It came home and has been in my safe for almost 40 years.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    I had both, the lever and the pump gun. I had the pump gun stolen. We were always told and believed the pump was stronger and I think it was back then. Later with newer technologies I have no doubt that the lever could be made as strong as the pump but I would swear it wasn't back in the day.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    I had both, the lever and the pump gun. I had the pump gun stolen. We were always told and believed the pump was stronger and I think it was back then. Later with newer technologies I have no doubt that the lever could be made as strong as the pump but I would swear it wasn't back in the day.
    Back in the day, I thought so to, but having shot both, I really couldn't tell the difference. And they had the reputation among pre-teens of being harder shooters.  But I think it was because they were harder to coc, and more expensive and less failures-to-fire because of the magazine.  It would be great if someone had an original, unfired model 25 and could chronograph it compared to an original Red Ryder.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
2»