You can make a .308 Win into a Blackout.........

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,286 Senior Member
    Happy hunting. Looking forward to a post action report
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,330 Senior Member
    Dead pig!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    110gr Varmageddon
    36.0gr H4895
    2,100 fps (est. from 16.25” barrel)
    155lb boar
    150yrds
    Dropped on the spot. 

The wheat was tall and I had to shoot him at 0300 this morning from a kneeling position and all I could see was his upper half. 

Bullet clipped the bottom of his spine at the back of his shoulder. Dropped him on the spot. 

Destroyed the bottom of his spine, damaged the top of his right lung, and the bullet vaporized in the meat of the off side shoulder after severing the spine.

I’ll call that a win. If it can do that to a pig. It’ll smoke a deer. 

edited May 15 #36

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,286 Senior Member
    Nicely done
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,816 Senior Member
    Awesome load work and great job on the pig in less than ideal light.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Awesome load work and great job on the pig in less than ideal light.
    Thanks. It was......quite dark. No moon, tall  wheat, bad wind direction........a pain of a hunt. But, worked out in the end. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    If I’m gonna slow a bullet down to lessen recoil........and ultimately reduce impact and expansion capabilities............I’d rather do that with a .30cal bullet than a 6mm bullet. 

The 6mm thrives on speed. The .30cal doesn’t need it as much for terminal effect.

And as to a .30-30 Win or .308 Win..........if the same bullet is slowed down to the same velocity from both cartridges......it don’t matter which case launched it. 

Comfort of the launching platform is the deciding factor. 
    If I had a kid that young now, knowing what I've learned, I think I'd try to find a .30-30 in a 788 Remington platform, maybe cut the barrel off to 18-20 inches and load it down to about 2000-2200 FPS with a 130 grain bullet. That would be a kitty cat load for sure and quite deadly out to 100 yards. Either that or build a 7-30 Waters out of it. (I wonder if Maxine knows there's a cartridge named after her?)
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    Once again, Nicely done.
    Far from ideal conditions, but excellent results.
    With things getting pretty warm, do your hogs pattern differently?  
    Down here we dont see much change when the temps go from real warm to hot.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Not really. Other than water becomes more important to them. 
    Zee said:
    Not really. Other than water becomes more important to them. 

I almost forgot about that.  Here as temperatures rise, so does the water with atleast some rain on most days.

Our draught time (winter/early spring) water levels drop considerably, but do not disappear.  It just gives them more bank to root and tear up, of course that and them laying in it pollutes the water pretty bad in some areas. Lately they are moving out of the management areas and farms into rural parts of South Florida. It is not unusual to see them tearing up home gardens and flower gardens in the towns of Davie and Plantation these days.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Got a 125gr SST load running 2,550 fps out of a 20” barrel and decent accuracy for my boy to use. 

Took a doe this evening on a Depredation Permit using this load and the rifle in question. The deer entered the field and started moving my way at about 350 yards. 

Wanted them closer as I try to hold my boy to 150 yards or less. They all headed my way but broke off to the brush to flank me and enter the bean field to my left. All except a doe who came straight at me. Kept coming right at me and at about 50 yards, she broke slight right and stared at me laying in the road. I hit her at the base of the neck between the shoulder and neck. 

edited June 11 #49
    She took about 3 steps and dropped. 

It was still 90 degrees as the sun set, so I gathered her up and gutted/tagged her quickly. 

The bullet damaged her lungs, liver and abdomen. Due to the heat, I wasn’t as thorough on the autopsy. Pulling the guts and filling her with ice as quickly as possible. 

Drove 25 miles to the barn and what was a full cavity of ice when I started was a mere remnant upon arrival. The heat sucks!! 

The bullet broke 3 ribs on entry, passed between the lobes of the lungs, damaged the liver and front of the abdomen. Lodging under the skin at the off side back of the ribs. 

Put a heck if a hole through the on side shoulder. 
    I think my boy will be well served with this load in the up coming season. 
    On a side note, as the doe was walking towards me, I could see something hanging between her legs. Thought at first she had just fawned and I was seeing the afterbirth hanging. But, as she got closer, I could tell to was an injury. 

After shooting her, I discovered that she must have gotten her udder hung on a “T-Post” or something while jumping and it had ripped a flap of skin and part of her udder from her body. 

Interestingly, she was not carrying a fawn inside her. 

edited June 11 #56
    On another side note, I had to crawl under a gate to get into the pasture the deer were in. Doing so, I turned the gun sideways and pushed it under the gate. To get my body under, I had to exhale and squeeze my chest between the gate and ground. A bit of a panic moment as there wasn’t much room and........time. Made it......fortunately. 

Then, had to pull my butt and......junk under the gate. 

Needless to say, I was rather dusty after the endeavor. 
    Once again, well done and Thanks for sharing.
    Your Son should have no problem with that rifle and load and it obviously will do what you/him want it to
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 12 #58
    Thanks for taking the time to take these photos, and explain what you saw / found.  This stuff intrigues me to no end.  What I find amazing is the size of that hole at the front of the shoulder after the bullet had only JUST entered the body a few mere inches.  That is some serious devastation in a short amount of time and distance.  That looks like a baseball size hole, and you're only 3 to 4 inches into the body.  Maybe 6 inches at the absolute most.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    On another side note, I had to crawl under a gate to get into the pasture the deer were in. Doing so, I turned the gun sideways and pushed it under the gate. To get my body under, I had to exhale and squeeze my chest between the gate and ground. A bit of a panic moment as there wasn’t much room and........time. Made it......fortunately. 

They make special barn boots for climbing those gates.......

That's a lot of deer for that bullet to travel, pretty impressive. That hunting in 90' temps would take some fun out of it, how much ice did you put in her to travel?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

They make special barn boots for climbing those gates.......

That's a lot of deer for that bullet to travel, pretty impressive. That hunting in 90' temps would take some fun out of it, how much ice did you put in her to travel?
    Yeah, but they would have seen me climb the gate, possibly. 

I filled her her whole chest cavity with ice before I left the fields. 
    Thanks for taking the time to take these photos, and explain what you saw / found.  This stuff intrigues me to no end.  What I find amazing is the size of that hole at the front of the shoulder after the bullet had only JUST entered the body a few mere inches.  That is some serious devastation in a short amount of time and distance.  That looks like a baseball size hole, and you're only 3 to 4 inches into the body.  Maybe 6 inches at the absolute most.
    I’m kinda happy with it. Should do my boy well.