Going Turkey Hunting

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 6,711 Senior Member
Been a long time since I hunted turkey.
Can't decide which specialty pistol I want to take-Great problem to have...
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    Good luck!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,645 Senior Member
    If you're taking an SP, you're going turkey shooting. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,330 Senior Member
    Where you going?
    How you going to hunt them?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,711 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Turkey shooting it is then.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Where you going?
    How you going to hunt them?
    Heading east to the Black Hills/public land.  Not many around here.
    One of four specialty pistols:  Nice problem to have.
    Anschutz rear grip 22 Mag
    223 Rem XP - Factory set-up
    6x45 XP
    6x47 XP
    Spot-N-Stalk and Little calling.
    Last time I hunted turkey, I lived in Spur, TX, and called one into 40 yards/7-08 XP that had a 10x fixed intermediate eye relief (extremely critical in terms of finding a full FOV) scope on it...talk about challenging :smiley:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj said:
    So, when you hunt for big game with a weapon that is capable beyond 30-50 yards, are you just shooting, and no longer hunting???
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Since I was in the process of using natures facilities during my last shot at big game, no one unfortunate enough to witness my debacle would call what I did shooting.😖
    edited April 9 #9
    cpj said:
    So, when you hunt for big game with a weapon that is capable beyond 30-50 yards, are you just shooting, and no longer hunting???
    Totally different with turkeys. Some won't see it my way, thats fine. In Missouri We have no choice  but to use a shotgun. You HAVE TO get close. You HAVE TO not mess up. So yeah,  when you have the option to drop a turkey at 300 yards, it's shooting.  
    Zee
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    Totally different with turkeys. Some won't see it my way, that's fine. In Missouri We have no choice  but to use a shotgun. You HAVE TO get close. You HAVE TO not mess up. So yeah,  when you have the option to drop a turkey at 300 yards, it's shooting.  
    Messing with ya...Guessing I am going to be in close cover FWIW.  Thinking 200 yards would be the furthest shot.
    Expecting under 100. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Since I was in the process of using natures facilities during my last shot at big game, no one unfortunate enough to witness my debacle would call what I did shooting.😖
    Some days, it is just not our day to look good...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,816 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #12
    Time to take the 17th century SP.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited April 10 #13
    In all seriousness, good luck, Ernie!  

Is there a caliber limit?
    edited April 10 #14
    cpj said:

Totally different with turkeys. Some won't see it my way, thats fine. In Missouri We have no choice  but to use a shotgun. You HAVE TO get close. You HAVE TO not mess up. So yeah,  when you have the option to drop a turkey at 300 yards, it's shooting.  

This the *the* premier challenge in the turkey hunting game.  More times than I care to count, I did everything right and called in birds only to have them hang up at 70+ yards - just out of shotgun range - strutting like maniacs, but refusing to get closer.  A rifle hunt beyond 60 yards would be a completely different game.  Only single-shot projectile hunt I've done on a turkey was using a .36 cal flintlock with a round ball in Pennsylvania on a Fall hen.  Even then, I was maxed out in usable accuracy and velocity by about 50 yards.  Shot was taken at 40 yards.
    I chased a flock of turkeys on foot when I was a kid hoping to catch them and shoot one.

They can run fast and very quickly eluded me without flight.🏃
    They are, indeed, shockingly fast.  I'll never forget the first time I saw one on a full blown, escape-mode sprint without taking flight.  Impressive, to say the least.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,330 Senior Member
    I’ve never taken a turkey with a handgun. 

Shotgun
    Rifle
    Bow

Yes. 

Handgun........no. 

But, I haven’t hunted turkey in 20 years now. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,866 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    They are, indeed, shockingly fast.  I'll never forget the first time I saw one on a full blown, escape-mode sprint without taking flight.  Impressive, to say the least.
    Yep....they can put a road runner to shame....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,047 Senior Member
    I just have to open the back door.

Is tackling one a legal method of take in Illinois?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,866 Senior Member
    Open the door....leave a trail of shelled corn...wait inside with a baseball bat....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Open the door....leave a trail of shelled corn...wait inside with a baseball bat....

Gotta be sure to control the legs, or it'll be a spurring for the ages.
    edited April 12 #23
    Six-Gun said:
    Jayhawker said:

Gotta be sure to control the legs, or it'll be a spurring for the ages.
    No it won't. Be easy peasy. No harm at all. Be super simple. Just set up a camera with a live  feed, please. 
    Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    My first experience with turkeys (age 16) was as a guest at a hunting club on the Canadian River, in the Texas panhandle. The accepted method there was to sneak up to within 150 yards of an old buffalo wallow, and look for turkey heads bobbing among the tall sage grass that grew in them. A couple of guys with a .22-250 bagged their limit and it inspired me to try, with my .308. Needless to say, I didn't score, even though my Model 88 with 4x Weaver was marginally capable with the Remington Core-Lokts I used back then. But with no rest and a 20 mph wind, I had no luck, in three chances. It was still a lot of fun, putting the sneak on them, and then watching their running take-offs.
    And so we are clear, if I ever have a place where I have turkeys on my back porch, I'm gonna get one inside the house. 
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    And so we are clear, if I ever have a place where I have turkeys on my back porch, I'm gonna get one inside the house. 
    You mean in the oven don't you?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj said:
    And so we are clear, if I ever Chave a place where I have turkeys on my back porch, I'm gonna get one inside the house. 
    That would have to be worse than a squirrel and as bad ir worse thsn a goose but not as bad as a bear. Massive damage at the very least.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,047 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    The thought did cross my mind!!

Sako
    Going to use my H-S HSP in 6XC with 107 SMK's
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #30
    "Don't Look Ethel! Too late, she done been incensed!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    Seriously, turkey hunting with a rifle can be very challenging, especially if you're only seeing them at a distance. There vitals aren't all that big and at 100 yards it's really no different than deer hunting. There's been a many a turkey shot with a .222 FMJ here in Texas. In fact back when I was a kid that was by far the preferred method. Back in the 50s nobody had feeders and you shot at game when you had the chance. And with turkey, that was mostly at longer ranges. Also, skilled turkey callers were sorta scarce back then in Texas.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.