Home Main Category Personal Defense

Pocket .380 suggestions for the Mrs.

rallykidrallykid Senior MemberPosts: 657 Senior Member
Janine surprised me tonight by telling me that SHE wants a new gun! Mark it on the calendar, it doesn't happen often. She loves the pocketability of my LCP but with wrestling the baby around and all the associated stuff that goes with him she would prefer something with a safety which is why she is shying away from her .38 snubbie. The first thing that came to mind was the Bodyguard .380 which I am researching. Anything else in this size range with an external safety worth looking at? This has moved to the top of the priority list for purchase so I want to do it quick before she has a chance to change her mind about spending the money.
No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    We have his and hers Kahr p-380's. The Ruger LCP's are fine for the price, but the Kahr has real sights (we actually got ours with night sights) and is a bit more refined. I got a pair if you want to check them out.

Edit-- No external safety on the Kahrs either, but they are nice little pistols.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    I like the Kahr 9mm for me and considered one but needed something more pocketable. I went with the Ruger for the price as I worked a trade and wanted something as a backup gun and the price was right. I may add the CT just to extend the range a bit. Her big thing is external safety which the Ruger does not have. That is the only thing that stopped me from running out immediately and buying one for her. How does the Kahr compare size wise and do they have an external safety? I thought the Kahr was much like Glock in that respect.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    No external safety. Exact same size as the LCP.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    No external safety. Exact same size as the LCP.

They have PM9's with external safties now, I imagine the 380's will sooner or later....

PM9193.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Girlfriend and I both have KelTec P3ATs and they shoot just fine, perform all the expected duties of a little pocket-model 380.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    The Ruger LC9 is just a little larger than say the P3AT, it has a safety and is 9mm to boot.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj wrote: »
    Walther PK380.
    Get a P22 and use a very similar gun with .22 LR ammo for practice. Did you see what I did there? Enabled a two for one purchase!

Why the aversion to no safety? Its not like any gun you listed has any less than a 10 pound trigger pull.

Not sure why she has an aversion to no safety but that was one of the requirements. She has pulled the trigger on the LCP and said it was fine but still wants a safety. I also know better than to try to change her mind once it is made up which is a fact Jermanator can attest to so I am jus trying to find something that fits her requirements. If the Kahr .380 is coming with a safety that would probably be just about perfect. Still going to check out the bodyguard and see if the PPK is pocketable enough for her.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Give her the LCP and take care of the safety issue with the right deep concealment type holster and good draw mechanics. The baby-handling issue has to be dealt with, anyway, with or without a lever safety. Personally, if there was an issue where the baby might get his hands on it, my opinion would be that she shouldn't carry.

Then buy yourself an LC-9, or better still, a Kahr PM-9. :tooth:
    That was my thought too and I know that there is no way the baby is going to come in contact with it. He has never touched one of my Glocks even when I was lugging him around carrying in a paddle holster. My LCP stays in my pocket and never had an issue there either but she requires it has a safety and I want to make sure she gets what she wants so I know she will use it.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    As some have said the ruger LCP cannot be beat.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Personally, if there was an issue where the baby might get his hands on it, my opinion would be that she shouldn't carry.

:

:that: What he said. Glocks and guns without external safeties are the number one reason kids pickup a "toy" gun and pull the trigger and shoot soemthing.

I advocate that any family with young kids should not have a gun without a safety and it shoudl NEVER be within their reach. If baby looks in Mom's purse and pulls out a "toy gun" you have an accident waiting to happen.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    We have never had a problem with it and always make sure there is no way he can get his hands on a gun. She has also never had a problem with him coming in contact with her .38 but she wants a safety just for an extra level of protection. It is her personal preference and I can't talk her out of it even though it has never been an issue so I am looking to get her what she wants.
    I hesitate to bring this up, because I will get a hard time from some. Two pistols come to mind, the SMC 380 and the Polish P64.

SMC 380 is a 6+1 .380 with a safety, in an aluminum titanium frame with a steel slide. They are around but you might have to look on gunbroker.com and have one shipped in. It has a good safety and is the smallest gun allowed to be imported after the gun control act. It is light, but not as light as an LCP. It weighs 19 ounces unloaded. There are two versions, one in steel and one in aluminum titanium. Be careful which one you select for weight, but they are both marked the same.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi8JJadOk05XZnYc4OzVFL9bE82yzW1l3OffwKsyjafifIB6EP

Here is a picture of my SMC collection. Note the steel .380 on the right and the aluminum titanium .380 on the left in the middle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=282095&d=1265679691

Here is one for $350 on GB but it is way over priced:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266215463

Next would be a polish P64. It's a 9x18 gun ( 10% to 15% more powerful than a .380), all steel and heavier, but it also has a full safety and is cheap at $190 or so and is a C&R gun. They are best with a $25 spring replacement for the trigger and recoil spring. Easy to do and very reliable. It weighs 21.3 ounces unloaded with the magazine in place.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd8r9hsUiIyPyhTX9dNQJpXzBiDv6PrRbtD4S9Sls6U93GuGQwMw

Here is a great deal on one in GB with all the accessories you might need.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265775607

I own both and like them both.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'm very impressed with my Polish P-64 in 9X18 Makarov. It's got a hammer drop/safety which totally disables the trigger when it's applied, so the gun can be carried with a round in the chamber with total safety. Flip the lever to "fire" and it's double action for the first round, single action after that. It's about the same size as a Walther PPK, with a slightly more powerful round than a .380. Chenge the hammer spring out for a Wolff spring to tame the stiff trigger pull. They're also available C&R from Classic Arms for under $200.00.
    Jerry
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    :that: What he said. Glocks and guns without external safeties are the number one reason kids pickup a "toy" gun and pull the trigger and shoot soemthing.

I advocate that any family with young kids should not have a gun without a safety and it shoudl NEVER be within their reach. If baby looks in Mom's purse and pulls out a "toy gun" you have an accident waiting to happen.

IMHO

D

Dan all my kids were raised with glocks and never had a mishap its all about education and training, by God how many kids get injured with scoldong hot water on the stove every year. I tought better of you Danny boy. :queen: :wink: :uhm:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    In all fairness, his wife wants an external safety.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    She might like the Colt Mustang, which is in production again, or the similar SIG 238.
    Cappy, YOU know better, but you are the exception. The unfortunate truth is thousands and thousands of Glocks are in households with idiots and their unfortunate kids.

D
  • ADRidgeADRidge Member Posts: 173 Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sig P238. We've been selling them like it's going out of style. I've had the chance to shoot a few different 238's, and they're wonderful guns... like a tiny 1911 without the grip safety. Still has the thumb safety, and the trigger doesn't suck like the LCP's.
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    conchokid wrote: »
    She might like the Colt Mustang, which is in production again, or the similar SIG 238.

I had a Colt Mustang, it was a great gun for a .380 acp, they want close to $ 800 nowadays though.

Here is a good deal on a pocketlite Mustang

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266341973#PIC

Perhaps the SIG 238 is worth looking into.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    BigDanS wrote: »

IMHO

D

Er, the reason that kids pick up a real gun has nothing to do with whether it has a safety. Safety or not, kids pick up guns because they have not been taught about them. I'm of course talking not about little toddlers but older kids. And yes I know that there are tragic "accidents" all the time but these originate from ignorant adults who don't have the brains to either keep guns locked up or educate the kids on firearm safety.

Having a firearm within access to a kid should never be based on whether it has a safety. It wouldn't take a kid very long to figure out how to click that off.

When I was growing up, in the bedstand on my dad's side was a loaded 1911, on my mom's side was a .38 snubbie, also loaded. I would have never considered laying hands on either gun any more than I would have thought about taking cash from my mom's purse or dad's wallet, both of which would be on the dresser. It was just something you did not do.

I had toy guns from the beginning and I knew what was a toy and what was not. I knew what a toy telephone was or any other toy that resembled the real thing. There's no way I would have messed around with a real gun and thought it to be a toy. Partly because I'd gone shooting with Dad and knew what a real gun did.

I had capguns and yes, the Red Ryder BB gun, too. And at age 9 for my birthday I received a .22LR rifle. This I kept in my own bedroom closet, along with a couple bricks of ammo.

Of course we were from Kentucky.
    Good points, Sam! I guess some of us "inbred southern rednecks" have had more common sense demonstrated to us by responsible parents by the time we were toddlers than the ghetto crackheads up north experience in a lifetime!
    Jerry
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Just how muscular is this kid of yours that the 10-12 pound pull of a DA revolver has got her scared??????
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    He is 18 months old and I know it is absolutely pointless to worry about a safety as he will never come in contact with it. However she also takes worst case scenario possibilities to the extreme level of paranoia when it comes to our son so she demands an external safety as an added level of protection in her mind against a scenario that will never happen in the first place. He has been around me and I have carried a gun since well before he was born. He has been in my arms while I was armed with multiple weapons and he has never come in contact with one of them, I have played on the floor and outside with him with a loaded gun on my hip and one in a pocket holster and there has never even been a whisper of anything close to an issue. She knows all of this yet still one of her requirements is that the gun have an external safety so to make her happy and set her mind at ease, that is one of the requirements that I have to look for before I recommend anything.

Yes, most of us grew up around guns. I got to shoot my first .22 rifle at 3 and my first AR15 experience was at 5. I knew the difference between a toy and a real gun and my son will be taught those differences as well. We are vigilant about firearm safety and that will be drilled into our kids just like it was both of us. Not all of us northerners are ghetto crackheads with no clue about guns, however I do encounter them everyday at work.
    Mothers are over-protective of their offspring- - - - -it's coded into their DNA! Personally, I'm very glad they're that way! The extra step of releasing a safety will become second nature to someone who becomes proficient with a personal protection gun, so the slight delay in getting into action will virtually disappear with a little practice. I've met both of you, and I hope I didn't offend with some over-the-top sarcasm! All I have to do is drive 40 miles south to Huntsville Alabama to find the same kind of worthless scum, so it's not a matter of location, it's how individual people are raised!
    Jerry
    No offense at all Jerry, just reiterating your point that there are a lot of them around my area. Happy to have a lot of exceptions to that rule floating around this place.
    Teach wrote: »
    Good points, Sam! I guess some of us "inbred southern rednecks" have had more common sense demonstrated to us by responsible parents by the time we were toddlers than the ghetto crackheads up north experience in a lifetime!
    Jerry

Understand I'm not dissing sensible gun safety. If you've got a toddler, you need to childproof the house -- things like electric outlet guards, keeping sharp utensils out of reach, small things such as a childproof bin for household bleach, etc, and keeping pot handles on the stove turned away. And of course locking up the guns or keeping them on high shelves in the closet.

Of course I don't remember going through that phase but when my kid sister was roaming the house, my folks kept the guns put away.

Things like that are just common sense, good parenting. Kids living in a proper, pro-gun home will be educated on guns early, just like they are on most other civilized things. There is of course that mid-level age between when the kid is unable to get to a gun and then able to learn about them, and that's when parents need gun lockers, regardless of the self defense negatives.

But heck, I was shooting my Dad's 1911 when I was 8 or 9 (him standing right there helping me of course). And I'm no exception. Those of us who've grown up around guns were taught gun safety from the beginning.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to "gun smart" families, but I'd also say the chances of a kid "playing" with a real gun rarely occurs in these homes. More often it's when mamma's, er, "Uncle" Mike leaves his cheapie gun next to the bed or keeps it under the mattress next to his crack pipe.

Not going too far off topic but the existence of an external safety on a gun is of little significance compared with all the other goofy things grown people do with loaded guns.

I remember a few years ago here, this jerk had, of course, a 9mm cheapie, went outside New Years Eve to shoot it, naturally the damn piece of junk jammed, so he took it inside and was trying to unload it when it discharged, shot and killed his 6 year old daughter. He told the news it was "God's will" and that made me want to visit a bit of God's will on his head. Arrgh.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    German made Walther PPK, the US has a reputation of being a jamomatic!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    German made PPK/S is known to jam, too.

Also, they're a bit big to be a pocket carry firearm. Especially for most women I know.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    I always liked what was posted on another website. Woman said she tried to figure out best way to have firearms and kids. Said her kids were able to get into everything. She decided the best thing was to keep her handgun on her or locked in the safe.. locked in the safe was useless for personal defence so she keeps it on her side, not in her purse (always under HER control). She told her kids when they were old enough to handle a firearm that when they wanted to touch a firearm all they need do is ask. She had them hold them and touch them and do all the safe things like never point at anything you don't want to shoot (ok so this is actually impossible but she had them point them in a realtive safe direction at all times). When they got old enough to actually shoot them she took them out and had them shoot a pumpkin so they could see what a firearm could actually do. Then she told them this was why she never wanted them to touch a firearm without adult supervision because she didn't want them to wind up like that pumpkin.