Great little tool set for range repairs and other small projects

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 26,264 Senior Member
Just got this at Lowes.  Kobalt tools are guaranteed for life so not a bad little investment.  Amazon has them for $40 on Prime but Lowes is selling them online for $25.  It's really meant as a tool kit for working on electronics (computers and such) but pretty much anything you'd need for quick range repairs and small projects.  A bunch of screwdriver bits and nut drivers with a small ratchet, tweezers, picks, a few small files and a very usable wire cutter.  All comes in a very nice small ballistic nylon bag that's only 8"x6"x3" and keeps everything nicely organized.

It now resides in my range bag and I think I'm buying a second one for keeping in a drawer on my desk.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-73-Piece-Screwdriver-Bit-Set/1000248547

The inside even has a magnet so small metal things don't disappear on you.
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,288 Senior Member
    That's a nice kit!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Looks to be the smaller 4mm (or whatever) bits that are becoming more popular. Probably ok for the smaller stuff. The files are crap, as good files cost more than that kit. 
    Overall I've had decent luck with the Kobalt line of tools. I had one ratchet crap the bed but that was just because the screws holding the coverplates on loosened and fell out. Which there's no excuse for, but anyway. I beat the hell out of it and it kept going to the boss grabbed me another.  They are far better than Craftsman tools. Plenty good for home gamers, and some of their tools are good enough for real use as well. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    That's a nice kit!
    It's come in real handy quite a few times already.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

cpj said:
    Looks to be the smaller 4mm (or whatever) bits that are becoming more popular. Probably ok for the smaller stuff. The files are crap, as good files cost more than that kit. 
    Overall I've had decent luck with the Kobalt line of tools. I had one ratchet crap the bed but that was just because the screws holding the coverplates on loosened and fell out. Which there's no excuse for, but anyway. I beat the hell out of it and it kept going to the boss grabbed me another.  They are far better than Craftsman tools. Plenty good for home gamers, and some of their tools are good enough for real use as well. 
    Yes they are 4mm bits.  So far today I have tightened up my eyeglasses, installed a new watchband I bought on ebay on my ED watch and installed the rubber bumpers on the 3 new 10mm magazines that got delivered today.  For my uses it's a heck of a kit for $25!  I have other more hardy Cobalt wrenches and sockets and they seem to hold up well to come use, and all their hand tools come with a lifetime warrantee.  You bring them back to Lowes and they give you a new one.  I have NO experience with their power tools.  Those I only buy DeWALT.  I've learned my lessons there...

BTW after burning out my SECOND Black and Decker leaf blower in 3 years I went out and bought a DeWALT leaf blower.  It5 star rating and that sum'a'bich will blow the concrete surface off my driveway!!!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Oh, how cute! A battery powered blower. 😆
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    SOOOOO many ways to go with that statement and get moderated! :smiley:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,288 Senior Member
    Better leave it alone there, Mike! >:)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Whatever blows up your skirt man. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    cpj said:
    Electric, not battery.  I don't need a heavy duty one, just one to blow out the driveway of pine needles.  I have folks that do the heavy stuff.
    I HATE pine needles and the pines that shed them around a house. The needles decompose and acidify the soil. They make a mess just being on the ground. GREAT fire starters, though; if you've ever seen a pulpwood pine plantation on fire, you can't cease to be amazed at how rapidly the fire spreads! It's like the ground was sprayed with gasoline.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 703 Senior Member

cpj said:
    Yes they are 4mm bits.  So far today I have tightened up my eyeglasses, installed a new watchband I bought on ebay on my ED watch and installed the rubber bumpers on the 3 new 10mm magazines that got delivered today.  For my uses it's a heck of a kit for $25!  I have other more hardy Cobalt wrenches and sockets and they seem to hold up well to come use, and all their hand tools come with a lifetime warrantee.  You bring them back to Lowes and they give you a new one.  I have NO experience with their power tools.  Those I only buy DeWALT.  I've learned my lessons there...

BTW after burning out my SECOND Black and Decker leaf blower in 3 years I went out and bought a DeWALT leaf blower.  It5 star rating and that sum'a'bich will blow the concrete surface off my driveway!!!
    You do know that DeWalt is a division of Black and Decker, right?
    Better to put rearrange the blower to the 'inhaler mode' and suck up those needles and bag them. Wind just rearranges the placement if you only blow them off the walk/driveway. But it ain't my circus and them ain't my monkeys. :smiley:

cpj said:

And VW owns Porsche and Ford owns Jaguar...
    tennmike said:
    Better to put rearrange the blower to the 'inhaler mode' and suck up those needles and bag them. Wind just rearranges the placement if you only blow them off the walk/driveway. But it ain't my circus and them ain't my monkeys. :smiley:
    We use the pine needles as mulch for a few beds that have pines in them on the property.  I blow them off the driveway and patio occasionally.  The landscaper rakes and collects them off the grass and spreads them on the beds when they come to mow every two weeks.  You can't avoid them here, there are pines everywhere.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,511 Senior Member
    Ford sold Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo several years ago to Tata in India.
    So anyway it’s a nice little tool kit... 
    If I could FIND all my tools and get them together in one place, I could probably supply a few rifle squads with those kits.

tennmike said:
    If I could FIND all my tools and get them together in one place, I could probably supply a few rifle squads with those kits.
    I’m sure you could 🤣.  Hey I thought for $25 I should let some folks know about it.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #20
    Speaking of knick knacks and such;

A friend just acquired this chap, he is finding it extremely useful in all things.

RugerFan said:
    Ford sold Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo several years ago to Tata in India.

My Volvo was built in Belgium, by the parent company of Geely (Chinese).

PS.
    They own these also;

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

edited April 16 #21
    That's right they bought Lotus!  I'm working on a deal with Karma in CA.  They got bought by a Chinese company too.  Here's a Karma Revero.  I'm trying to work in a family discount 😎

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    That's right they bought Lotus!  I'm working on a deal with Karma in CA.  They got bought by a Chinese company too.  Here's a Karma Revero.  I'm trying to work in a family discount 😎

Aw gee, Thanks Dad. You are the best. :)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    🤣
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    Saying DeWalt is a division of Black and Decker is a bit disingenuous.  About like saying that since Cadillac and Saturn were both divisions of General Motors, the build quality is the same. 

Overkill is underrated.
    Saying DeWalt is a division of Black and Decker is a bit disingenuous.  About like saying that since Cadillac and Saturn were both divisions of General Motors, the build quality is the same. 

I never said the build quality was the same.  DeWalt is the commercial/professional grade product of Black and Decker while the Black and Decker label is the light duty/homeowner grade product.  Yes, I have owned both and have depended on DeWalt products to make a living.
    My  comment was made in an attempt to have some fun at Wambli's expense but that fizzled when it became clear that he was already aware of the relationship between DeWalt and Black and Decker.  Ok Wambli, you win this round but I am sharpening my wits as we speak in preparation for a rematch when you post that picture of a jar of peanut butter you were threatening in the other thread.  mr burns evil laugh emoticon

cpj said:

And VW owns Porsche and Ford owns Jaguar.