10 year old with bow and arrow

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 16,288 Senior Member
Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Those are some tough “sumbiches”.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old cowboys and indians fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and saw a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether).

A light bulb went off in my head.

I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner. Let’s face it, to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather like myself, (Ether), really doesn’t “sound” flammable.

So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder.

My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz. (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know?

You know what? Screw that I’m going back in the house for the other can, so I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we’re cookin’.

I stepped back about 15 ft. and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck… OH SHOOT! He just got home from work.

So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a W.T.F. look in his eyes.

I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh shoot!

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don’t know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 fricking decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft. above the ground as far as I could see.

It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this… THE COTTON PICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE.

There was a big sweet gum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said “was”. That sucker got up and ran off.

So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my Red Ryder T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport, having what I can only assume is, a Vietnam flashback: ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU’RE BRINGIN’ EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. DAMN IT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard.

There is a Honda 185 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires.

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don’t know - I know I said something. I couldn’t hear. I couldn’t hear inside my own head.

I don’t think he heard me either… not that it would really matter. I don’t remember much from this point on.

I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later….repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea.

I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming “Bring him back to life so I can kill him again”. Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure… I never had to mow around that stump again.

Mom had been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week or so later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It’s good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.

Author Unknown
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    Good story.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,979 Senior Member
    Funny stuff there !
    The thought process of those ages is & will always be a mystery.
    I was a perfect child so never had those problems.  (  ok maybe not  )
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,698 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #4
    Did a little experiment with pure sodium and water, (don't ask how I got the sodium) set the maple tree on fire!

The end was a let down, though. The entire story I had a mental image of a ten year old boy (little Zorba) in a skirt shooting a bow:)
  • dlddld Member Posts: 325 Member
    That explains a lot about you :)  don't it
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    edited April 12 #6
    Big Al1 said:
    Did a little experiment with pure sodium and water, (don't ask how I got the sodium) set the maple tree on fire!
    Only a couple of places the average person can get pure Sodium metal, and that is to order it from a chemical company or take some from a school or industrial chemistry lab supply room. A small piece of it will be disappointing....throw it in water and it will react with the water, melt and start buzzing around on the top of the water, producing Hydrogen gas that will be ignited from the sparks or heat generated by the reaction. Use a large piece of the metal in a large bucket of water, and you would get a much larger explosion.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    My best friend was working at Areodex overhauling R-4360 aircraft engines, they had sodium cooled exhaust valves, he brought some home and we cut the top off the stem and put tape over hole, than we went fishing, poke a hole thru the tape and tossed them in the ocean, looked like a small depth charge went off, we didnt get any fish and never did that again.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,255 Senior Member
    That reminds me of the incident with me, my best friend, a bird feeder, and a pound of expired smokeless powder.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,288 Senior Member
    I take it the powder wasn't as "expired" as you thought? (!!)

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Big Al1 said:
    The end was a let down, though. The entire story I had a mental image of a ten year old boy (little Zorba) in a skirt shooting a bow:)
    That skirt didn't start out as a mini...

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    That story reminds me of some of the things I either saw back in the mid 1960s as an 'innocent bystander' or an active participant with dynamite and ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel. People used to blow out stumps or 'dig' ponds with that concoction, and it was nothing more than going to the local hardware store or farm supply to get the fixin's for that job. No license needed. Just needed to be at least 21 years old. Sometimes the result was not what was planned, but it was generally entertaining, and no one got hurt. Windows occasionally got broken, though.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Big Al1 said:
    Only a couple of places the average person can get pure Sodium metal, and that is to order it from a chemical company or take some from a school or industrial chemistry lab supply room. A small piece of it will be disappointing....throw it in water and it will react with the water, melt and start buzzing around on the top of the water, producing Hydrogen gas that will be ignited from the sparks or heat generated by the reaction. Use a large piece of the metal in a large bucket of water, and you would get a much larger explosion.

I was a BIG chunk and I didn't get it from a chemical company:)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Back before the Nanny State and warning labels on EVERYTHING you could get stuff pretty easy. Given the sad state of affairs today with people doing really stupid stuff, and kids eating Tide detergent pods, and putting arms on red hot stove elements, I guess that some stuff needs to be restricted, or maybe not. Darwin's Law is being circumvented by all this Nanny State stuff. Remove the warning labels and let Nature do Her thing. And just remember, those electric curling irons wimmins use have a warning label that says, "For EXTERNAL USE ONLY". I want to know the names of the brain dead idiots that plugged it in to the outlet and then 'plugged' it somewhere else that made that warning necessary. Makes the McDonald's hot coffee to the crotch seem mild by comparison! :smiley:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

tennmike said:
     Darwin's Law is being circumvented by all this Nanny State stuff. Remove the warning labels and let Nature do Her thing.
    Yes, PLEASE!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    Brings back memories of my poor Dad. 
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,553 Senior Member
    Archery.......ah, yes. When I was a kid, 13 or 14, my bro lived in the suburbs of St. Louis. We would visit him, a couple of times a year. He has a son, a few months older than I am, and we would find creative ways to get into trouble. This was in a area where the "villages" are less than a square mile and have their own infrastructures. My bro's backyard bordered on a small cemetery. This cemetery was popular with local ne'er-do-wells as a good place to dump a stolen car, or place to hide, when running from the PD. Any time something shady went down, within a 10 block radius, the po-po would end up searching the cemetery. One summer my nephew and I spent some time, at night, standing under a street light in the cemetery, just across the fence from the yard, tossing firecrackers at the light. Most of the time, they would fall to earth and explode, sometimes, as the firecracker approached the light, it would suddenly streak off, horizontally to the ground. When this happened, you'd hear a muffled pop, followed by a wet splat. The splat was a headless bat striking the pavement. One afternoon, we got into some of my brother's hunting gear and scraped up some shotgun shells. We pried open the crimp on a shell and removed the shot and wads. We used a nail to punch a small hole, just above the brass and inserted a fuse, from a cherry bomb, held in place with a little wax. We proceeded to dump in the powder from other shells, until it reached the crimp. We closed the shell and wrapped it with most of a roll of electrical tape. We waited until about 10:30 or 11:00, that night......this is where the archery comes in, we taped the IED to an arrow and nocked it in my nephew's 25lb. recurve bow. Standing just inside the fence, my nephew pulled to full draw and I touched off the fuse with a kitchen match. The arrow arched out over the cemetery and at an altitude of around 150 feet......the payload detonated.......with the force of a small tactical nuke. We snuck in the back door, while the adults, who had been asleep, were trying to get their clothes on and find out what happened. I must say, e response time for the local gendarmes was quite impressive, in less than 10 minutes we had police cars, from six different communities, cruising around the cemetery, looking for the source of the thunderous explosion. In another 5 minutes, a helicopter joined the search. We just kept mum and enjoyed the show.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    I knew a guy who got into his father's or uncle's or somebody's silver nitrate. Thought a pinch of that made a glorious noise when detonated in a culvert that ran under a road. Well, if a pinch made a great bang, how about 2 or 3? That caused a hole to be blown in the top of the culvert with a subsequent and immediate collapse causing a 2 foot hole in the road. He said he and whoever was with him didn't stop running for 30 minutes. There was an article in the newspaper the next day to the effect of "Who would do such a thing?"...

Kids today would video tape that & post it ........wondering why they were caught .
    Ole! Good thing there's a statute of limitations!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,553 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Ole! Good thing there's a statute of limitations!
    I figured that after close to 50 years, I'd be safe.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Some years ago, I might have had intimate knowledge about how a washtub size hole got blown into a road in a neighboring city.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    @zorba, this had me chuckling before i read half of it

@olesniper ; Rocking the hood at such a young age LOL, One fun way to get rid of bats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,084 Senior Member

A fair quantity of Potassium Chlorate swiped from a middle school science lab store room makes much more impressive black powder than the usual ingredient (saltpeter) purchased from the local pharmacy.  (Yes, they actually sold a pound of that stuff to a 12 year old kid!)  That black powder on steroids does NOT make good model rocket fuel, particularly when it's contained in an empty Crosman CO2 cartridge.  I had plenty of those empties, left over from my .22 caliber pellet gun!  After about 3 violent explosions and no successful launches, rocketry got to be sort of a lost cause.  I still wonder where the shrapnel from those CO2 bottles went!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Orbit.

Borrowed a few blasting caps & a spool of fuse from dad's blasting box .......in an apple that was fun. Best time was on a bluff with water balloons. Convertibles with tops down was worth 2 points. When the PD showed up . The game changed to hide & seek. At night they never found anyone. Of course these are things other kids did not a little angle like me.
    edited April 15 #26
    Teach said:

A fair quantity of Potassium Chlorate swiped from a middle school science lab store room makes much more impressive black powder than the usual ingredient (saltpeter) purchased from the local pharmacy.  (Yes, they actually sold a pound of that stuff to a 12 year old kid!)  That black powder on steroids does NOT make good model rocket fuel, particularly when it's contained in an empty Crosman CO2 cartridge.  I had plenty of those empties, left over from my .22 caliber pellet gun!  After about 3 violent explosions and no successful launches, rocketry got to be sort of a lost cause.  I still wonder where the shrapnel from those CO2 bottles went!

For rocketry we stuffed match heads, from the free match books given away at the bank, into C02 cartidges. A short fuse and the proper sized pipe and you had a morter. Use to launch them across the Milwaukee river. Potassium permanginate was even a better oxidizer than chlorate, mix it with red phosphorus if you liked bombs you could throw and blow up upon hitting something. Not very stable, though, so you had to do a frequent finger count!!:)