A few pictures from today's trip to the TN/NC border

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 22,593 Senior Member
These pictures explain much better than any words I can come up with as to why I love my East TN hills and will NEVER consider moving somewhere else. My roots go too deep in these hills to be transplanted.

This is the Ocoee River several miles above the first dam for the flume line, and above the Whitewater Rafting venue. The dogwoods and redbuds are in full bloom, and EVERYTHING is budding and the greening of the hardwoods is in full swing. Pictures don't do it justice.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,278 Senior Member
    Beautiful country for sure!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    Wow! There really is mountains there.👀
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    Looks nice!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,593 Senior Member
    Wow! There really is mountains there.👀
    Foothills of the Smoky Mountains!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    Beautiful country, all that is missing is the beach
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    HA! That's the best part of it. My wife loves the beach, but me? If I never saw another one, it'd be exactly 37 seconds too soon. I want to live above 5,000 feet - at least in the late spring, summer and early fall!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Diver43 said:
    Go to Parksville Lake just down the road a bit West of where I took those pictures. Sand beaches, something like 5 or 6 of them, and a big boat dock and rental boats. :)

And if you're a bit adventurous, you can pan for gold in the river before it gets to the lake. Lots of copper mine tailings got washed into the river and settled on the inside bends of the river. You won't get rich, but you'll have some nice gold flakes to show off!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,028 Senior Member
    Hope it wasn't Cherokee county-----'cause Ya have t watch out for the Cherokee Devil------
    some kind of big foot
    I have a need for speed
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    Simply beautiful countryside! I love that area of the country.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,286 Senior Member
    <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,007 Senior Member
    All we got on this end is a bluff. Doesn't even compare the the Smoky Mountains. I've been over the top into NC before. I think Cherokee village is on the other side. That the way you went??
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #13
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    HA! That's the best part of it. My wife loves the beach, but me? If I never saw another one, it'd be exactly 37 seconds too soon. I want to live above 5,000 feet - at least in the late spring, summer and early fall!
    I don't care for "the beach" per say, but I do love the coast. For my taste, your former haunting grounds has some of the prettiest scenery anywhere in this country. Have not been to Carmel in over 10 years...I gotta plan a trip there soon.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,242 Senior Member
    That is beautiful country. 😍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,399 Senior Member
    So did you pick up our Seamstress's sew sheen? 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    I don't care for "the beach" per say, but I do love the coast. For my taste, your former haunting grounds has some of the prettiest scenery anywhere in this country. Have not been to Carmel in over 10 years...I gotta plan a trip there soon.
    Agreed. The best features of mountains and ocean in one place! What's not to like?

Carmel is cute - in an artificial kind of way. They certainly are "full of themselves", and charter members of the Silver Spoon Elite!

• mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 417 Member
    I love the mountains of Colorado but those hills of Tennessee sure make me homesick! It will always be where my heart is! A little place called Leipers Fork was where my Dad's family came from.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    NN said:
    Hope it wasn't Cherokee county-----'cause Ya have t watch out for the Cherokee Devil------
    some kind of big foot
    Nope. Polk County, TN. Polk County borders Cherokee County, NC.
    Big Chief said:
    Yep. Picked it up in Ducktown, TN at the out-fo-business Piggly Wiggly. :D
    All we got on this end is a bluff. Doesn't even compare the the Smoky Mountains. I've been over the top into NC before. I think Cherokee village is on the other side. That the way you went??
    Since U.S. Highyway 68 is in rock throwing distance to the house, I just took it on the trip over. I should have known better than to take that road this time of year. It was warm and the motorcyclists were out in force.

I almost bagged three sport bikes on a right hand blind curve; they were in the right hand side of MY lane and coming fast, so I steered hard left and hoped nothing else was coming. They passed me on the right hand (PASSENGER!) side with not much room to spare. I hope they had a change of clean underwear because they were really lucky we didn't have a multiple vehicle head on wreck. Highway 68 is popular with motorcyclists because it is A LOT like the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap on U.S. 129. Lots of sharp blind curves that will work a bike and biker pretty good. And smokin' hot good scenery along the route. I came back on U.S. 64 to Cleveland and then took I-75 to Exit 52 and home.

I took U.S. 64 on the return trip because I wanted to go through the Ocoee River Gorge again. Been a while since I've been that route, and it's got a lot of good memories. The rafting companies have pretty much ruined the place below the powerhouse #2 to the mouth of the river where it enters the lake. They're all run by out-of-state people with attitudes that make you want to see them all burn in a hot fire. The anus chapeaus think that they OWN the WHOLE river and make no bones about acting the part. As Inspector Clouseau said a few times, I 'Had speaks' with a couple of them at a public parking area. The RAFTER COMPANIES ONLY parking area was full of buses, and I was parked IN THE PUBLIC PARKING AREA where ANOTHER FREAKIN' BUSLOAD OF RAFTERS were wanting park to load up and go back, and the bus driver and assistant ordered me to move. From their reaction, I don't think they'd ever heard that many cuss words strung together in one sentence and shouted with such pure hatred. They parked somewhere else. For my part, I just sat back down on the truck tailgate and watched the river, and giggled a little too much. :D

Big Chief said:
    Hey!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,399 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Big Chief said:
    Hey!
    OK........... our belly dancing Stitcher-man. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,645 Senior Member
    Odd turn of events. Mikes bringing Zorba a sewing machine, Zorbas bringing  me a drill press,  and I'm bringing  Zorba a ring. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    Every time I go to either east Tennessee or North Carolina for a motorcycle trip it is really hard for me to have to leave. I love being in those areas.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
    Every time I go to either east Tennessee or North Carolina for a motorcycle trip it is really hard for me to have to leave. I love being in those areas.
    There are some great roads for biking in the TN/NC area. Beautiful scenery and some fantastic roads to enjoy. When I drive those roads I look for the bikers instead of the scenery most of the time. Majority of the bikers drive safe on those roads, but there's always a few of the young guys on the sport type bikes that forget they are mortals of flesh and blood construction. They learn........................eventually. :) And to be fair, there are some 'cage drivers' that need a good talking to behind the woodshed, too!

cpj said:
    Odd turn of events. Mikes bringing Zorba a sewing machine, Zorbas bringing  me a drill press,  and I'm bringing  Zorba a ring. 
    HA! You ain't gettin' nothing buddy until I see that ring on my finger!

I'm also bringing Al a gunstock, and BC's bringing me some .303 Brit ammo.

cpj said:

I may be afraid of going now.
    cpj said:

I may be afraid of going now.
    I'm just substituting for The Big Brown Truck of Happiness. I'll be driving a burgundy Dodge 3/4 ton diesel thumper pumper, hopefully with a trailer hauling my quad. Make it easier hauling targets and stuff set up and shoot at. My Granddad's 'Don't walk when you can ride' advice is making more and more sense the older I get.

I'm bringing the big Quad. Her blue Jeep. B)
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,645 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    cpj said:
    HA! You ain't gettin' nothing buddy until I see that ring on my finger!

I'm also bringing Al a gunstock, and BC's bringing me some .303 Brit ammo.

Ok, so now it's a little weird. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee