The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Started raining here last night and I've got 2" in the rain gauge so far at 1:47 p.m. Isn't letting up either. And forecast for the week is high 20s at night and low 40s during the day...............in Chattanooga. My temperatures 50 miles north of them generally run somewhat cooler for highs and lows. I might get some stuff in my shop done this week. Got to cut some metal for firearms projects.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    How is the new heater doing out in the shop Mike ?
    It is -5 here now & going all the way up to 7 .
    My roast made the shop work turn into a sit in the recliner project . Some days it just turns out that way . Add to that watching on line programs about people that were talking with aliens & the day for work was shot .
    New day new plans !
    Yesterday I put in a bid on that Colt .22 ..... told him $500 ..... see if he bites on that . Seems I need to buy a gun every few months .
    I haven't got the heater up to the shop yet. It's either raining like a monsoon, or the ridge is trying to slide downhill from all the rain. And it's freakin' cold; too cold to mess with it. I'm waiting for a WARM, DRY day to take the heater up there on the quad. I don't trust either truck to go up the road right now. The ground is squishy everywhere.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I also have a problem that just showed up in the Dodge diesel PU. Electrical gremlins have reared their ugly heads. The power windows suddenly don't work, the electric door lock on the armrest works only intermittently, and the speedometer is on the fritz with that intermittent thing. Speedometer only works part time. Pulled fuses and checked, and they're all good, no obvious problems with wiring harnesses either; I checked under hood and instrument panel. Time to take it to the dealer and let them sort it out.

That really sucks Mike ! 
    Here I was thinking I was having a tough day programming a machine . At least I won over the machine & it only cost me time . Yours sounds like a bad connection some place . I hate those part time problems . Half broke part time is really a pain . Are you inside looking for it ? My garages are full of treasures so I end up out in the elements all to often . Soon as I can get shop 2 in better shape I plan to put in a lift . That will save my old back changing tires from summer to winter . The prices don't seem bad so all I need to do is make the space to do it .
    No inside shop to put the truck in to work on. Did the checking in the driveway. It was in the 40s yesterday, so not so bad. Barely got above freezing today; high of 34, and down into the 20s tonight with high humidity.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    I had to move snow for two days so I could get my yard clear and to get to the front door of my shop. Tried to unlock the door and padlock is frozen. The wind started blowing and blew for two days and now I have to clear more snow before I can get to shop and heat lock so I can open it. We have been below 0 for most of last week.
    I have had that problem with locks at shop 2 also rb . I dump heat on them & the locks open .... then made a mud flap for over the lock so water doesn't get in . The ones I couldn't build a mud flap for I put a plastic bag around to keep them dry . On locks that I don't use to much I put grease on the bale & over the key hole . That gets a little messy but the locks always work . The snow ...... well we are both screwed on that one . At least it is better than mud & flooding like Mike has down his way .
    I'll take the mud and flooding over snow any day of the week and twice on Sunday, TYVM! :)
    On those frozen locks, I get those from time to time after it rains and then freezes.  I just squirt oil in the keyhole and in the hasp hole and around the other leg of the lock from time to time. Seems to work pretty good at keeping them free of being frozen. The oil makes them sticky on really cold days but they don't freeze from ice buildup.

Well, my luck is running true to form. Bad. My 20+ year old chest freezer bit the dust. That telltale smell of a burned out motor is strong. Since it's colder than a witches heart, and will be for a few days, I don't really have to rush. I'll pick up a new SMALL one tomorrow at BLwoe's after my dental appointment. Then hook up the three point hitch utility cart on the small tractor and remove the old one, and then put the new one in place. I'm gonna be busy tomorrow, doing that and also getting my quarterly haircut.
    I REALLY need a vacation. :)

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    This is the first time having a frozen lock, this is a high end lock that I just started using.
    Common locks seem to always freeze . The cheap ones have steel in them & can rust . The better ones have brass insides but will still freeze . Only way I have found to stop that is keeping the water out all the time .
    That freezer will keep you busy today Mike . I had my up right go in July ..... that was pucker time getting a new one & transferring the food ..... QUICK ! Mine had & has a temp alarm so soon as I heard it I went into action . Way to much money in that box to let it go to waste .
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,605 Senior Member
    Use "Lock-eze"
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    Use "Lock-eze"
    I use the used Rotella oil from the diesel PU after it's strained through a 10 micron water filter. At 5 gallons of oil per oil change I have to get creative on using it up! :D

My chest freezer is playing games. I checked it three times before my dental appointment at 2:00 p.m. and the danged thing was working and the smell was gone. It cycled on and off normally once when I checked it. Gonna have to watch that fool thing.

That's a good thing that it is still working there Mike ! Now watch for one on sale then set it next to it . Only time & you will need it .
    We are getting snow rain mix the next few days around here . Might as well stock up on inside supplies today in case it gets stupid out again .
    Was just thinking I should buy some trees to plant this summer . 2 apple , 2 cherry & 2 pear sounds about right . That & getting the silly shed up will be enough for the year to mess with . The shed is small but will be a good spot to put the Bobcat in . That will free up some space in shop 2 . If I make it tall enough might even get the tractor in there too .
    With those 2 out of the shop I could go all silly with things out there !
    Make it big enough for both the Bobcat and tractor, but like 2X as big as you think it should be. That way you can clear up MORE space for working. Or just put up the new building and use IT as the workshop.

edited March 8 #1639
    Well, the freezer finally laid down and died this afternoon. So I'll be going to BLowe's tomorrow morning and getting a small replacement.
    The weather being cold at night will help with me not being in a big dither getting the new one put in place. I can fit it in next to the dining room table and remove the old one when the weather is more favorable, and the freakin' yard isn't a mud pit!

That stuff never happens when it is a nice day & you have nothing planned . In my world things like that happen all to often .
    The small shed is a brianfart idea that came with a free hoop structure . I have it together ..... just haven't picked a spot to put it . I think it is 12' x 30' . I plan to set it up higher to add a garage door in it  high enough for the tractor . It will end up being a lawn shed once my big building gets up . After building shop 2 with ladders alone this one will be a lot easier using smokey the bucket truck . It should be a interesting project to do . This is what it looked like a couple years ago .

Got the new freezer this morning, plugged it in and loaded the still frozen stuff from the old freezer in it. Got a bunch of old stuff that is going to be thrown out for the critters WHEN IT QUITS FREAKIN' RAINING! Did I mention that it's raining again? It's raining again. Did I mention it's raining again, and my yard/driveway is a freakin' mud pit? Well it is! :D

At least the rain doesn't bother you at all Mike !  lol
    You must be sending some of it up this way too. They say for the next week rain here . If true the snow should go quick . Then the flooding will start with all the melt off & rain .
    A guy want's to buy my steam washer ...... I told him a stupid price ..... he wants to look at it . For that kind of money it will go down the road if he has cash . Then I will go buy a smaller one for shop 2 . I will dig it out & run it to my buddy's shop & put inside to get all the lines back together ...... then clean my trailer with it to show him how it works . At worst then I will have a clean trailer if he is a tire kicker .
    Steam cleaners can be nice to have or a pain in the patootie. Small ones are easier to deal with, though. I got to clean snow with a 20,000 pound per hour unit a couple of times. More fun than you can imagine. Three feet of snow just disappearing when you open up the lance to all you could safely handle. It was forced air diesel fueled. My shift manager watched me for a while and went back inside. He said I looked like I was enjoying that way too much when I came in after finishing up. He was right, too; I DID enjoy doing that for a change of pace! :D

If work isn't fun then it is just work . In the summer on a hot day pressure washing the deck or truck can be fun & get a needed job done too . Usually I end up doing the cement drive & rock wall too . Even run around blowing weeds out of cracks too . Once I am wet  ....... sky is the limit with the water wand in my hands .
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,097 Senior Member

This thread is buggered and doesn't indicate new posts!

No good deed goes unpunished...
    It was rainy and a 50 degree high yesterday. Today it hit 70 degrees! And NO RAIN! Nice change of pace. Still got a spring at the foot of the ridge making a spring branch across the front yard. If it EVER dries up, I'm taking the pond scoop and getting a few tons of creek gravel hauled up to the yard to level stuff back out again................and fill in the mud pit.

We can only hope it does dry up a bit Mike . What are you digging with for that pond scoop ? Around here the snow isn't going down fast at all . This week they say it will go fast ....... same people called for rain Friday & we added a 1/2 inch of new snow .
    Shop sorting went well yesterday . Cleaned up 2 small tables of clutter & finally got a volt meter back working for in the truck . Starting to look like a real person could live here .
    Pond scoop is for moving dirt/gravel around the place. With groundhog holes and small sinkholes popping up in the hay fields it comes in right handy. Haul dirt and gravel to the holes and dump or shovel it in depending on size, and tamp it down, and then squish it in good with the rear tractor tire.
    It's raining again today, and 49 deg. Yesterday's high of 70 and no rain was a cruel joke.

I had to look up what that pond scoop was Mike . I have a 440 loader on the tractor so one of those wouldn't be much use for me . Don't you have a loader on yours ?  That twisting around backing into things would kill my back . The one thing I would like to get for the tractor loader is a quick attach for the bucket so I could trade ones with the Bobcat . I have one on the 3 point & really like it . I can switch box blade to brush hog to draw bar quick . I have a couple blades for it but don't use them .
    Pond scoop is good for what I do. I don't have to twist around. I just go to where I'm getting dirt or gravel, drop the bucket, and go forward until the tractor gets in a strain, lift the pond scoop, and go to where I need the dirt/gravel. And getting gravel out of the creek with a front end loader bucket will get you in trouble quick if your tractor isn't 4WD (mine are all 2WD). Once you get a bucket of gravel that takes weight off the rear drive wheels, mashes the front tires into the gravel, and you find yourself having to dump the gravel to extricate yourself. The pond scoop can be used in forward or reverse fill, and when you lift it, it puts weight on the rear drive wheels to give you more traction.

I usually just hook up to the box blade & then go dig away . My JD is 4 wheel drive so I don't get stuck to often . The loader is kind of neat to drop off .... it has built in legs that drop & you back away only takes a few min.  to drop the loader or hook it back up . Hooking up the post hole digger or the back hoe well that's a lot more work . If it had a cab with heat & ac it would be the perfect tractor for me . Big toys are a lot of fun to mess with .
    Tonight I go look at that garage of tools ...... no telling what I will come home with . The fun will come with if I get anything ....... where I will put it . Doesn't hurt to look . I already have most of the things I was told that was there . Everyone needs 3 big air compressors & 3 drill presses ! lol I think there are a couple roller tool boxes of tools too . ....... May get some screw drivers !