The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    My tractors are older than some of the members on the forum. I have a 574 International Harvester diesel tractor bought new in 1971 by my Mom and Dad, my Ford 1700 diesel 2 cylinder tractor, and the Ford 7000 turbodiesel from early 1980s. None are 4WD and they aren't easy to hook equipment up to like that one of yours; takes careful backing up, and lots of magic words and phrases to get stuff hooked up to the 3 point hitches. None have a bucket on front.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,660 Senior Member
    I really like my little one ..... does all I need it to do ..... so far . Always some type of attachment to go on those . The big thing that sold me on it was 4 wheel drive & power steering . Fun stuff for a old city boy to play with .
    Just got home with a truck load of tools & have to go back tomorrow for another load . Probably spent to much but it was fun . Loads of Craftsman stuff . Not bad tools .  Will be fun seeing what all I managed to get . Most are in those plastic boxes but full sets . I will take a couple pictures when I can feel my back again . lol

Managed to get load one off the truck at 12:30 last night . Will need some bayer back & body to go get the second load later today . That is after I get my work things done . I said good by to the one small spot I had cleaned out last night . Getting the roller chest of tools & the 4 tool boxes of tools on the truck should be fun . I am getting flash backs of the estate buy I did 3 years ago . Fun stuff . If luck goes my way I will dump a lot at the flea market next month .
    I need a bigger shop ! lol
    I helped my new neighbor and friend from FL and his wife unload a U-Haul trailer and a 26 foot bed U-Haul truck into a storage building yesterday. Good thing we had 4 more old geezers like me and a young guy to come and help unload that mess. That was a whole lot like work unloading all that stuff and furniture, and stuff. At least it was 68 degrees and not 86 degrees!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I was really busted up last night unloading this stuff ....... then a work call came in so it was a tough day all round . Just brought home the last of what I bought . Now to find a space to sort & clean it all .

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I was really busted up last night unloading this stuff ....... then a work call came in so it was a tough day all round . Just brought home the last of what I bought . Now to find a space to sort & clean it all .

Might be time for a barn raising?😋
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Whens the garage sale, bound to be something there I need !!!

Sako
    Looks like a sizeable haul there! (Truck is squatting in the rear a bit!!! :D ) And you barely left room for you to get behind the steering wheel! :D That's a load.

It is amazing how much stuff you can get in 2 1/2 truck loads .
    Yes I need a barn too but that is down the road when the money all gets in my hands first . I will keep you in mind for free labor then early ! lol
    The sale will start as soon as I can figure out what the heck all I bought sako
    That load Mike was a tricky ride home . I have overloads on the springs & was using them all the way . Now the fun of cleaning stuff up & seeing what works . May be sitting outside with a bucket & extension cord checking stuff out . ( and it's cold out )

Did a small bit of digging last night . A friend stopped buy & was like a kid in a candy store . He could only stay a few min. & that quickly went to 45 min. He will be back .
    Now to get a plan to sneak up on this pile of treasures . It will get up to 40s today with no rain so that will help a bit with tackling this stuff . What I want to keep is first on the list . If I can get some of the big stuff out of the garage then I may have a small work space . Getting piles of hand tools , power tools , air tools , sockets , wrenches , supply s & empty tool boxes . Then I can get things ready for the flea market or sell here .  The lawn & garden stuff will probably just end up in my lawn shed . The gas powered things will need to be checked out too . Guess my motto is  " why buy one thing .... when you can buy it all "
    With that much 'stuff' you definitely need to get it cleaned up and to the flea market a.s.a.p. The stuff you keep will be stuff in search of a place to put it.
    Sunny here and 46 deg. but the wind is kickin' and makes it feel colder than it is. My knees tell me it's too cool to be out doing anything.

April 7th is the day to move some of this . A buddy stopped by & spent $300 with me so I am off to a good start . Today so far I have managed to get 1 box empty & am thinking I may need a trip to elwalmarto to get tubs ( small tubs ) to sort things into . I was so happy to see there was screwdrivers in the first box I started on !
    Nice haul there. I notice a drum brake tool on the lower left. That one will confuse any young'uns at the flea market! :D

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Find an oxy/acetylene set up in that haul I'm a customer at your sale ;)

Sako
    Didn't see a torch set up at the place . But will keep an eye out for you Sako .
    So far it has been hand tools , wood working tools . And SCREWDRIVERS !
    The sorting small tubs are helping the job a lot . Six small tubs for $41 that's a crime . After one tool chest my back was shot so I went shopping .
    Today I will most likely have a couple of friends stop by to shop . They always rush me when I make a big buy & want to see what I drug to the shop . And usually end up taking things home with them . Could be a fun day today horse trading & selling . If I can get to my wood I will fire up the burner today because it is a bit nippy today & all I need is a cold with this mess right now .
    Have fun sorting and selling! It's kinda nippy here, too. 29 deg. and frosty this morning.

No one showed up yet & it's break time . Running into a problem ....... " oh that's cool ..... I better keep that " If this keeps up I may have a small table at the flea market . What makes it worse is that I have all the same things ..... but his is all organized in cases .
    YOU might as well admit it; you're a tool hoarder! :D :D :D

Mike !!!!!!!!
    Now you of all people turn on me too ?
    I am not a tool hoarder ....... I rescue disadvantaged tools from broken homes !
    I clean the poor things & give them a safe environment to stay in . They could have been left in the lawn & rained on snowed on then hit by a lawn mower . Life here at the tool shelter they are taught they still have purpose in the life of a tool . In time they will be found a new home to go to through my tool adoption agency . ( yes there is a fee lol )
    The tool sale is going well so far & the cleaning them up is too . Today is paper work & on the road day . If I get through that crap then might get some cleaning up tool boxes & loading them with tools as a starter kit to sell . So far all the elec. power tools work ..... the gas engine stuff .... I don't know yet . I still have things in the truck to get out but was waiting for some room to put them in . His name was painted on a few things so I need to figure a way to get that off without having to paint them over . So much to do & so little time . lol
    Paint remover will get the paint off; just make sure the paint remover is compatible with plastic if he painted on plastic. Some of that paint remover will remove plastic, too!
    I learned to HATE paperwork in nuke power. Come in to work and equipment test packages, called Surveillance Instructions were stacked a foot high or higher. And required a crapload of signatures, and EVERY STEP done had to be initialed. And a system valve alignment after an outage required signature multiple places, and initials for every valve, and most required two party initials ( both had to be there at the same time to verify valve position, or two party independent verification ( two people had to do the verification but could not work together. Some systems had well over 1,000 valves so your initialing all those valve positions could get your hands cramping, especially when you had to change a lot of valve positions, and some of the valves were hundreds of turns. I HATED outages.

Mine here is not near that bad Mike but bad enough to put me in a don't bother me mood . Made it through it with high blood pressure so back to a lot more fun stuff .
    While on the road yesterday saw a lot of streams out of there banks & low lands are flooding . Shop 2 is on a hill so no problems there . The roads to shop 2 can get bad at bridges . A few years back lost one down the road from the shop & that took all summer to get back in operation . Happens every year .... just some worse than others .
    Today is getting up in the 40s so good time to get the scrub bucket out & clean boxes to fill for the flea market . Playing in water with snow still on the ground isn't the best idea but better than doing nothing . The bigger tool chests will just be sold empty ..... easier to move those suckers that way . I should snag one just for drill bits .
    I got a dentist's appointment for a filling at 2:00 p.m. YAY! :s

Hope that went well Mike . They always find something wrong then fix it at a high cost .
    I found a nice little toad sticker in a tackle box yesterday in my loot search . I'll post a pic. some time today . Funny thing is there wasn't a fishing pole in the whole garage . This stuff is really old so it may have been his dad's . Finding out that the tubs I bought are to small . But if they were bigger I wouldn't be able to lift them . Fun stuff buying larg amounts of treasures at one time .
    Best to buy totes you can lift than big ones that need a forklift to lift when full! :D
    Dentist visit only cost $78 dollars since my dental ins. paid most of it. I have good dental Ins. and it's pretty cheap, too.

Even the small totes full of steel can give you a pucker . It is still cold & damp out here so working on the driveway with water might not be a good idea .
    Cold and wet here today, but not as cold as out there. Up to 49 deg. now and it's trying to rain.

I did manage to get a few things cleaned up out on the drive yesterday . It was a bit nippy
    to be playing in water . Did make a dent in it so all is good . The power tools in the plastic boxes are all tested & easy to move around . Debiting on the 4 ton low floor jack . It might be handy to have a low one ..... I have 3 reg. ones but no low one .

I'd keep the low floor jack. Those things are really handy!

I think that way too Mike . I will have to drag out the other 2 here at shop 1 & see what 2 to keep . I don't think I ever needed 3 at the same time but 2 would have been handy . I am hoping that the sanders go . I don't use that type at all around the shop . Lately all my sanding is done by hand . I plan today to start making up small tool boxes of tools . First this is to get all the misc. stuff off the table so I can start a production line of tool boxes .