The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,325 Senior Member
    I was really on a kick for lamps a while back. Just something about them I really like. With you & I liking the same stuff .....no wonder we get along.
    I did manage to do some chores today ......took my winter tires off my truck & put the summer ones back on......with it hitting 80 felt it was safe to think winter is over. I need to run to the country shop & see what all this rain has done for my road out there. I can't wait to try the Mike concoction on the mutant weeds.  The auctions tomorrow didn't have anything I could use so may actually get more spring things done around here.

Going to try the odd stuff today. I have managed to get a lot of it in small containers.......now its where to put them so I can get at them when I need to.
    Ten pounds of crapola in a five pound bag seems to be a way of life for me. I will snap some photos of the tool stuff that I know nothing about. ( and that's a long list ! )
    This week I need to load up some scrap copper & brass & see what they will give me for it. That stuff is a lot less work than scrapping out steel.

When you put it on a table it doesn't look like that much stuff. ( I need more tables )

That tables out in the drive worked out well. I managed to go through all that today & didn't break my back doing it. And to make it better found places to stack the small tubs out of the way & yet be able to get to. More floor space is coming back to the shops. The garbage men will hate me but to bad some of the junk just has to go. I may try this same way at the country shop too. Only problem is most of the stuff out there is to big to put on a table. Brainfarts were coming about things to make but I stuck with the slow boring sorting thing.
    I knew I had a box of those pointed mill things  !   lol Just were hidden under 2017 tobacco seeds.
    Making noticeable head way in the shops.  In a process this big any progress is welcome. The big tip over was last year with the big purchase. When all of your hiding places are full it doesn't take much to make a mess. You guys with perfect & organized shops have it made. Seems like most projects I do involve going outside to have the room to work. ( in the winter here that really sucks )  I need to change my hot blueing tanks from natural gas to propane. I don't really know what that all involves. I am stacking up parts to do & that makes a mess all by itself. That reminds me I need to pick up some more black oxide to start the tanks back up again. Do many of you do hot blueing too ? I have been thinking about trying some browning. See how cleaning up leads into projects !
    Found these 2 things while sorting. They are copper color I tossed them in the scrap pale........thought a bit & pulled them back out. I think these are for a vise to cover the jaws. They are cast so might be red brass .....how do you tell the difference in red brass & copper ?

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    I'd wager copper, as that's what typically used for soft vice jaws 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    To hold guns & not scratch them up ?
    Or to hold anything you don't want scratched up. 
    Zee
    I made up some pads for my jaws to not scratch.

If that's foam or other similar material, watch that shavings and what not don't get trapped. Aluminum or copper is great because you can run your hand across them to see if there is any grit on the surface before you clamp a part.
    Zee
    It is wool padding I only use it when putting sites back in after blueing a barrel. Or driving pins in or out......I hate a scratch after all the work is done.
    Heading to the country shop. See what I can get into out there today. I need to till up the garden again before planting. hook up hoses on the power washer & see how well my new wand will work. Storms are heading here ....again so it's do it today or wait until next week. Might even clean up my box truck & tractor. This is the first year that I will be able to do things like that.
    The new wand & washer put up a spring fight but got them all working well.
    Managed to even clean up a few things .....while playing in the water lol

It is looking like a rain day here. Yesterday I did manage to start cleaning up my shooting lane. To bad I don't have targets ready. ( can't be-leave I threw away mt buffalo gong stand  )
    These rain days get me in trouble every time lol
    Decided to try different type of blueing. So am building s rust cabinet to do some rust blueing like the old days. Some say it is a better & longer lasting blue ......we will see on that one. The metal prep seems to be the same just the rusting is different.

This day went sideways .......my dad crashed in MO. so I had to run down there & bring him back home. His truck is totaled & he has a sore hand & ribs . So my day went real fast to plan "B"
    I think dad may need to start looking for a new truck ........

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    that will buff out no problem.... Hope your dad is ok.

Sako
    He was sore & bruised yesterday when I went to get him ....I bet today he will be really sore seems like the seat belt & air bag did the most damage to him. He had that thing packed to the top with stuff going to a flea market down there. It filled my pick up higher than the sides. I was just happy that he was ok . He asked me if I wanted him to drive back home .........I said thanks dad but one wreck a day is your limit !
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Decided to try different type of blueing. So am building s rust cabinet to do some rust blueing like the old days. Some say it is a better & longer lasting blue ......we will see on that one. The metal prep seems to be the same just the rusting is different.

Make sure you plug the ends of the barrel before doing that! :)
    It takes a LONG time to do it that way, but the results can be really nice!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Hope your Dad is feeling no worse for wear today. Probably sore from seat belt and air bag deployment, though.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

tennmike said:
    Old Ron said:

Make sure you plug the ends of the barrel before doing that! :)
    It takes a LONG time to do it that way, but the results can be really nice!
    I saw a video on the net about that & was really surprised that they just ran a wire down the barrel . I always protect the inside with plugs when hot blueing .  Ten again a lot of things on the net make me shake my head. One guy didn't card the steel after each rusting bet that was a mess not to mention lumpy.
    Dad is really sore today but hot to trot to buy a new truck. He was talking about a caddy until I told him they were 90k . He said well I only paid 50k for the king ranch. I shook my head & said dad things have gone up a bit since you bought that. I am just happy to still have him around. ( most times I am happy )  lol
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    edited May 12 #176
    Heck that King Ranch probly has more luxury appointments than a new Cadillac.
    It had things in there he never used like the DVD player. That boy likes his toys ! lol
    Old Ron said:
    I saw a video on the net about that & was really surprised that they just ran a wire down the barrel . I always protect the inside with plugs when hot blueing .  Ten again a lot of things on the net make me shake my head. One guy didn't card the steel after each rusting bet that was a mess not to mention lumpy.
    Dad is really sore today but hot to trot to buy a new truck. He was talking about a caddy until I told him they were 90k . He said well I only paid 50k for the king ranch. I shook my head & said dad things have gone up a bit since you bought that. I am just happy to still have him around. ( most times I am happy )  lol
    If you're talking about using a 'sweat box' with acid to get the rusting going, then plugging the barrel at both ends is mandatory. The acid fumes plus the evaporated water sticks to EVERYTHING including the wood!

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    Also be sure to not let it rust too long. You can get pitting that way. I like doing rust bluing for authentic finishes on older shotguns and some items that see a lot of wear (rubbing).
    I have never tried acid rusting  but the hot blue  I do the temps are to high for the old stuff. The times on acid rust I have no idea what they will be so I guess I will have to keep an eye on them. Will the acid rust give a high gloss like the salt hot blue ? From what I understand it takes 4 or 5 applications to get a nice black on the steel. After carding I plan to let the steel soak in oil for at least 24 hours. I do that with all mt blueing now.  If it doesn't work out nice I can always scuff it up & rattle can it mat black & call it a day lol The gun I am trying actually was all painted gloss black. It is a single shot 410 rescue project so it will be a good ginny pig gun to work on.
    Different climates, humidity, and whether or not you use a heat source to keep the box hot will have a lot to do with how fast the process goes. My sweat box disintegrated a few years back. But it was nothing but plywood with a 100w lamp sitting in a little offset box attached to the side. Usually once per day carding is normal, and sometimes twice per day if the humidity and heat in the box are right. If it gets dry inside the box then it might be two days between cardings.
    The metal determines the gloss of the final finish, and the higher the initial polish the better. With good metal the bluing seems to look like it has 'depth' to it.
    There's a lot of differences in finishing the last step. I was taught to take the finished barrel/part and suspending it in boiling water and let the boiling water leach out the residual acid. When removed, the water will flash off the metal quick leaving it bone dry. Oil while it's still hot, and let it rest a few days, and keep it well oiled. After a few days you can tell if you got the residual acid boiled out; there won't be any rust spots showing up. Wipe off excess oil and install the barrel/part.