Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,500 Senior Member
    Looking good.  B)

I'm going to take a lesson from you and NOT put all kinds of stuff in my building right after it's built and wait until I have my wiring, lights and outlets installed.   :D
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,446 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Looking good.  B)

I'm going to take a lesson from you and NOT put all kinds of stuff in my building right after it's built and wait until I have my wiring, lights and outlets installed.   :D

It is really tempting when you see all the space you now have !
    Just setting up all your tools to work wit will start the process . Then all the materials will need to come in so it's handy ....... then a bench to work off of ..... then a small break area to think things over & see where you are at with construction .
    Yep happens quick !
    My west end wall is coming along well .
    Calling for high heat next week so will try to get more done this weekend ahead of the heat .

Nice.  Looking really good.  And seems like you're on track to have it pretty much done as far as insulation by the time colder weather arrives.  Help keep it warmer in there for you this winter.
    A long ways to go yet Jay .
    South wall is 104' the rafters is 60' x 104' .
    What ever I do get up this year will help .
    Making a run to the west shops today .
    Kind of a clean up day .
    Need to get things situated for cutting steel for the wall again . That & weeds outside are a mess .
    At least now I know easier ways to do some things so that helps a lot .
    Getting the south wall opened up to have work space will take some thinking ....... ( a bunch of work too )
    Shops are a great place to go & get away from the worlds problems .
    :)
    Things are going well at the west shops .
    A few more days on the west wall & will get started on the south wall .
    I have moved about 1/3 of the stuff off that wall already but there is still a lot to get moved .
    Monday will be the day I am retired . That should give me more time for the shops .
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    Best of luck on your retirement Ron. You'll find out that you're going to be busier retired then when working, which isn't all bad.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    Congratulations, I retired last Friday myself.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks guys !
    This should get interesting .
    It took a month to get the right price for my company but happy with the deal ....... as long as the check clears !    :pensive:
    A lot of paper work still to be done & things to sell .
    After 42 years at the same things it was time .
    With the economy heading in the crapper I thought get while the getting is good .
    Getting shops 3 & 4 done will take up some of the time . My rescue projects will be a lot more fun too .
    Congrats Ron. I have 3 more years till I can retire. But I’ll probably do something else after that for pocket money. I’ve got a couple years to figure that out. In the mean time, every time I take some vacation time, I call it retirement training.. 🤓
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Congrats Ron. I have 3 more years till I can retire. But I’ll probably do something else after that for pocket money. I’ve got a couple years to figure that out. In the mean time, every time I take some vacation time, I call it retirement training.. 🤓

If things continue like they have, no training needed.  Busy when you want to be, laid back when you want also.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 373 Member
    Some advice my elderly dad gave me...
    "There's no such thing as a bad nap"
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    Have one small load of equipment to move today then no more accounts to deal with .
    Then just get the paper work caught up & close accounts .
    It really be nice not dealing with all that paper work !
    After today it's all shops & projects .
    :):smile:
    Finally putting in 2 200 amp service panels today .
    Will run the wire to the boxes tomorrow ....... I hope .
    After they are inspected it's fire them up & the party starts !
    Just another step on the long road of building a shop .  Getting a welder & my plasma cutter out there for next year will be great !
    That'll be really nice, having electricity in there.  Expensive, but necessary.  I hope to have mine installed and running shortly after my building is done.
    I think so too Jay .
    The cost is a nose bleed but will be great when done .
    It will be nice to have a plasma cutter ..... welder ..... & lights to work with there . The price of wire is coming down a bit but still high . 14/2 is around $550 a thousand . 12/2 & 220 is still high . I have enough on hand to get me going . Then watch for sales .
    Same for lumber ..... sheet rock ...... plumbing & heating . A lot of cost for a place to work .
    Material cost definitely sucks. I did the math on cost per square foot on my building.  It came out to $20 per sq ft, just for the building itself.  The guy who's building it said he was paying $8/sq ft for buildings when he was building them 15 years ago.  But, that's without insulation, which added a good bit to mine.  If I take into account the concrete and everything for my building, I'm over $36/sq ft.  :o

I looked at buying 2 pieces of unistrut to mount the breaker panel on.  $50-$60 per 10 ft stick, depending on where I look... That's just crazy... 

I got pretty fortunate on my electric stuff so far.  I'm getting the meter can, extension, weather head and service wire for free from a buddy.  I got my lights 20% off, $200.  All the other supplies, including the breaker panel, breakers, wire, outlets, boxes etc, I got at Lowes because I had gift cards that knocked $400 off my out of pocket cost.  Put the remaining balance on my Lowes CC, which knocked another 5% off and I paid the balance off immediately.  So my total out of pocket cost for all my supplies and lights was $1200.
    It is a bad situation buying things right now .
    Just getting power run to the shops ran 21k . So far with shop 3 & 4 I am in around 170k . It better be a lot of fun there for that kind of money . At least it is all paid for as I go . If prices stay way high I will probably stop until things get better . Only a guess if or when they will . Just having a inside place to work & store things is great . In this crazy world that's about all we can do . At least now I can work without getting service calls .
    Getting ahead of winter this year a bit .
    Fire wood will be part of every week until I get enough at shop 1 for the winter .
    I have my first load in the driveway ready to be split & stacked .

Well 1/2 that load of wood is split & stacked up .
    The power was turned on at the west shops last week .
    Next trip out there I will start getting temp lights up to work there .
    It has rained here the last 3 days so the work stopped & to dark inside the shops to work .
    This old guy could use the rest anyway .

Panels are in & power now inside !
    This will be a lot nicer to work in .
    I get sidetracked with other projects so the construction is still going slow .
    Now I can get my plasma cutter & welder out there for some bigger work that needs doing .
    Still a lot to move out of the way but getting better all the time & with lights I may work later in the year in the shops out there .
    Just can't get the time to work at shop 4 !
    While I was splitting & stacking wood yesterday I got a call & sold a big truck load of equipment to a friend in Chicago . That means a few days shot getting that loaded & drive over there .
    Happy to be selling things but would like to get more work done on the shop .
    AT LEAST THE MONEY WILL BUY A LOT MORE MATERIALS FOR THE SHOP THAT i DON'T HAVE TIME TO WORK ON OR IN .
    :p
    Least you have money coming in.  Seems like all my money is going out..  :D
    It is nice to be getting shed of some treasures & have more to spend on the shops Jay . :)
    Problem is when selling things it takes time away from the construction .
    Being sick a few days hasn't helped too .
    But still am happy with this years progress in all the shops . Only a couple more huge bills ahead & then will be set up .
    That being a well & septic system .
    Shops are always a money pit & big shops are even worse . Spreading it out over time makes it seem not so bad .
    We both will have fun places to work in & do projects we always wanted to do .
    Finally got that load to Chicago .
    It was a long day but sitting here looking at the cash was worth it .
    That load cleaned out a 4' x 8' spot on the floor in the shop ....... that's a good thing .
    Even cleaned a spot in shop 2 with that load .
    A lot more needs to go but it's a good start .
    As soon as I can get shop 3 framed in I will use that as a place to put things for sale & can show people in there . ( really don't want people wondering around all the shops . )
    Still a long ways to go to get to that point .

Win-win... Stuff out of your way and money in your pocket to do more shop stuff..  :D  

Not much progress on my shop lately.  Little stuff here and there.  Mostly finishing up lights and wiring.  I've been having a little bit of a hard time getting an electrician to commit and come out to install my meter socket.  I have one who says he'll stop by some time this week to look at it.  But it's Wednesday now and still haven't been able to commit to a day.  Another electrician just won't answer me back.  I have one more to call, then I'll have to start looking for someone else.  If the guy I have pending doesn't give me something by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll call the other contact I have and see if they'll commit to getting it done.  That's all that's holding me up from finishing my inspections and getting electricity hooked up to it.  Then I can really move things along in there.

Cooler weather should be just around the corner.  Be a perfect time to spend time in the shops.  B)
    It has really been nice here jay but haven't done a thing in the shops .
    To busy with other things that need doing first .
    My 1/2 of beef should be done this week yet & want to get that in the freezer as quick as I can .
    Have started looking at security systems for the west shops . Found one that has 16 cameras & 4 TB of memory . Each camera comes with 600' of cat5 cable . That should get the inside & outside covered . If not I can add more to the system .
    I really need to get at the outlets too . With power already on only 2 outlets seems a shame .
    Picked up the beef yesterday & now in the freezer .
    Today is put the repaired hitch back on the dump box ...... coolers back to shop 2 ....... check out the exhaust on the box truck ...... Then some shop 4 construction & move things around .
    It's a tall order for the day .
    Made it out to the west shops yesterday .
    Trying to find an easier way to do racks .
    This one I'm doing laying flat .
    Bought a small drill press to drill the holes to bolt it together . Working with bent .... twisted .... heavy steel gets interesting .
    Flipping it over to drill & bolt the other side will get interesting .