On this day in 1959...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,287 Senior Member
Captain John S. Lappo flew his RB-47E under the Mackinac Bridge....I would have loved to witness the stunt that ended Capt.Lappo's flying career....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    Being the age I was in 1959 I'd have loved to see that, too! And wanting him to do it a few more times!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,519 Senior Member
    I wuz not quite 6 yrs old then................200 ft height from water to bridge..............man had balls................they said he continued to serve in the AF as a non-pilot and retired a LTC.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,287 Senior Member
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,837 Senior Member
    I flew an F-15 under the Dupont bridge at Tyndall!! Well, I was in the simulator, and I immediately crashed and hit the reset button!
    B-47 was quite an aircraft. It was faster and could outrun most jet fighters of the day!!

A lot of shenanigans went on in the early days. Highly frowned upon anymore!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,631 Senior Member
    One word: Crop dusters.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    One word: Crop dusters.
    I'm not a pilot, but I do a lot of crop dusting in Walmart. Makes them old ladies and gents blocking the aisle look for more or less, depending on how you look at it, 'fragrant' area to carry on long winded conversations.

That stunt wasn't far removed from the old barnstorming antics back when biplanes were king of the hill. It's a shame such a pilot as that was grounded by the Air Force. But given that the Air Force was the newest service I guess it got their panties all wadded in their cracks.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,631 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

That stunt wasn't far removed from the old barnstorming antics back when biplanes were king of the hill. It's a shame such a pilot as that was grounded by the Air Force. But given that the Air Force was the newest service I guess it got their panties all wadded in their cracks.
    Saw a crop duster - biplane, of course - come across a field, about 8 or 10 feet up, go UNDER the telephone/power wires at the edge of the field, then pull the stick back, stand the plane on its tail and just loop over the 100-ish foot tall Eucalyptus trees on the other side of the road (said road ran between the power poles and the trees)!! Then swing back and do it again for the next run.

Now they use whirlybirds, but I'll never forget the sound of the biplanes in the early mornings...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,733 Senior Member
    You should have asked him if he just crapped his pants.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED
    THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES