Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

African famine.

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member

This is something that's been in the back of my mind for many, many years; albeit not very Christian.

I remembered reading this some time ago, a recent discussion brought it up again and I re-found it.

Kevin Myers (born 30 March 1947) is an Irish journalist and writer. He writes for the Irish edition of the Sunday Times, having previously been a columnist for the Irish Independent and a former contributor to The Irish Times, where he wrote the “An Irishman’s Diary” opinion column several times weekly. Until 2005, he wrote for the UK Sunday Telegraph.
His articles criticise left-wing opinion and the “liberal consensus”, sometimes incorporating hyperbole, sarcasm and parody. This essay recently appeared in The Irish Independent:

Politics and History, zz_Archive2015

Kevin Myers

Posted by Managing Editor on 10. August 2014

Somalia is not a humanitarian disaster; it is an evolutionary disaster. The current drought is not the worst in 50 years, as the BBC and all the aid organisations claim. It is nothing compared to the droughts in 1960/61 or 73/74. And there are continuing droughts every 5 years or so. It’s just that there are now four times the population; having been kept alive by famine
relief, supplied by aid organisations, over the past 50 years. So, of course, the effects of any drought now, is a famine. They cannot even feed themselves in a normal rainfall year.

Worst yet, the effects of these droughts, and poor nutrition in the first 3 years of the a child’s life, have a lasting effect on the development of the infant brain, so that if they survive, they will never achieve a normal IQ . Consequently, they are selectively breeding a population, who cannot be educated , let alone one that is not being educated; a recipe for disaster

We are seeing this impact now, and it can only exacerbate, to the detriment of their neighbours, and their environment as well. This scenario can only end in an even worse disaster; with even worse suffering, for those benighted people, and their descendants. Eventually, some mechanism will intervene, be it war, disease or starvation.

So what do we do? Let them starve? What a dilemma for our Judeo/ Christian/Islamic Ethos; as well as Hindu/Buddhist morality.
And this is beginning to happen in Kenya, Ethiopia, and other countries in Asia, like Pakistan. Is this the beginning of the end of civilisation?

AFRICA is giving nothing to anyone outside Africa — apart from AIDS and new disease. Even as we see African states refusing to take action to restore something resembling civilisation in Zimbabwe, the Begging bowl for Ethiopia is being passed around to us out of Africa, yet again. It is nearly 25 years since the famous Feed The World campaign began in Ethiopia, and in that time
Ethiopia’s population has grown from 33.5 million to 78+ million today. So, why on earth should I do anything to encourage further catastrophic demographic growth in that country? Where is the logic? There is none.

To be sure, there are two things saying that logic doesn’t count. One is my conscience, and the other is the picture, yet again, of another wide-eyed child, yet again, gazing, yet again, at the camera, which yet again, captures the tragedy of children starving.

Sorry. My conscience has toured this territory on foot and financially. Unlike most of you, I have been to Ethiopia; like most of you, I have stumped up the loot to charities to stop starvation there. The wide-eyed boy-child we saved, 20 years or so ago, is now a low IQ, AK 47-bearing moron, siring children whenever the whim takes him, and blaming the world because he is uneducated, poor and left behind. There is no doubt a good argument why we should prolong this predatory and dysfunctional economic,
social and sexual system but I do not know what it is.........................................................

End of part one.

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Part two.

There is, on the other hand, every reason not to write a column like this. It will win no friends, and will provoke the self-righteous wrath of, well, the self-righteous, hand wringing, letter writing wrathful individuals, a species which never fails to contaminate almost every debate in Irish life with its sneers and its moral superiority. It will also probably enrage some of the finest men in Irish life, like John O’Shea, of Goal; and the Finucane brothers, men whom I admire enormously.

So be it.
    But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Irish Famine, with this or that lazy analogy.
    There is no comparison. Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30%. Over the equivalent period, thanks to Western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck and the Lockheed Hercules planes, Ethiopia’s population has more than doubled.

Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness. Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, AK 47-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts, and housing pirates of the ocean. Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive, illiterate indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world or allowances by the semi-communist Governments they voted for, money supplied by lending it from the World Bank!

This dependency has not stimulated political prudence or commonsense. Indeed, voodoo idiocy seems to be in the ascendant, with the president of South Africa being a firm believer in the efficacy of a little tap water on the post-coital penis as a sure preventative against AIDS infection. Needless to say, poverty, hunger and societal meltdown have not prevented idiotic wars involving Tigre, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etcetera.

Broad brush-strokes, to be sure. But broad brush-strokes are often the way that history paints its gaudier, if more decisive, chapters. Japan, China, Russia, Korea, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the 20th century have endured
    worse broad brush-strokes than almost any part of Africa. They are now — one way or another — virtually all giving aid to or investing in Africa, whereas Africa, with its vast savannahs and its lush pastures, is giving almost nothing to anyone, apart from AIDS.

Meanwhile, Africa’s peoples are outstripping their resources, and causing catastrophic ecological degradation. By 2050, the population of Ethiopia will be 177 million; the equivalent of France, Germany and Benelux today, but located on the parched and increasingly Protein-free wastelands of the Great Rift Valley. So, how much sense does it make for us actively to increase the adult population of what is already a vastly over-populated, environmentally devastated and economically dependent country?

How much morality is there in saving an Ethiopian child from starvation today, for it to survive to a life of brutal circumcision,
    poverty, hunger, violence and sexual abuse, resulting in another half-dozen such wide-eyed children, with comparably
    jolly little lives ahead of them. Of course, it might make you feel better, which is a prime reason for so much charity!

But that is not good enough. For self-serving generosity has been one of the curses of Africa. It has sustained political systems
    which would otherwise have collapsed. It prolonged the Eritrean-Ethiopian war by nearly a decade. It is inspiring Bill Gates’ programme to rid the continent of malaria, when, in the almost complete absence of personal self-discipline, that disease
    is one of the most efficacious forms of population-control now operating. If his programme is successful, tens of millions of children who would otherwise have died in infancy will survive to adulthood, he boasts.

Oh good: then what? I know, let them all come here (to Ireland) or America. (not forgetting Australia!)

Yes, that’s an idea.

http://africaunauthorised.com/?p=1311

I have copied this in full, not bits of quotes and a link, because.......well because.

Of late we have been seeing some of the consequence in Europe.

Not forgetting our very own Big City;

".............low IQ, AK 47-bearing moron, siring children whenever the whim takes him, and blaming the world because he is uneducated, poor and left behind".

Part two.

There is, on the other hand, every reason not to write a column like this. It will win no friends, and will provoke the self-righteous wrath of, well, the self-righteous, hand wringing, letter writing wrathful individuals, a species which never fails to contaminate almost every debate in Irish life with its sneers and its moral superiority. It will also probably enrage some of the finest men in Irish life, like John O’Shea, of Goal; and the Finucane brothers, men whom I admire enormously.

So be it.
    But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Irish Famine, with this or that lazy analogy.
    There is no comparison. Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30%. Over the equivalent period, thanks to Western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck and the Lockheed Hercules planes, Ethiopia’s population has more than doubled.

Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness. Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, AK 47-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts, and housing pirates of the ocean. Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive, illiterate indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world or allowances by the semi-communist Governments they voted for, money supplied by lending it from the World Bank!

This dependency has not stimulated political prudence or commonsense. Indeed, voodoo idiocy seems to be in the ascendant, with the president of South Africa being a firm believer in the efficacy of a little tap water on the post-coital penis as a sure preventative against AIDS infection. Needless to say, poverty, hunger and societal meltdown have not prevented idiotic wars involving Tigre, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etcetera.

Broad brush-strokes, to be sure. But broad brush-strokes are often the way that history paints its gaudier, if more decisive, chapters. Japan, China, Russia, Korea, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the 20th century have endured
    worse broad brush-strokes than almost any part of Africa. They are now — one way or another — virtually all giving aid to or investing in Africa, whereas Africa, with its vast savannahs and its lush pastures, is giving almost nothing to anyone, apart from AIDS.

Meanwhile, Africa’s peoples are outstripping their resources, and causing catastrophic ecological degradation. By 2050, the population of Ethiopia will be 177 million; the equivalent of France, Germany and Benelux today, but located on the parched and increasingly Protein-free wastelands of the Great Rift Valley. So, how much sense does it make for us actively to increase the adult population of what is already a vastly over-populated, environmentally devastated and economically dependent country?

How much morality is there in saving an Ethiopian child from starvation today, for it to survive to a life of brutal circumcision,
    poverty, hunger, violence and sexual abuse, resulting in another half-dozen such wide-eyed children, with comparably
    jolly little lives ahead of them. Of course, it might make you feel better, which is a prime reason for so much charity!

But that is not good enough. For self-serving generosity has been one of the curses of Africa. It has sustained political systems
    which would otherwise have collapsed. It prolonged the Eritrean-Ethiopian war by nearly a decade. It is inspiring Bill Gates’ programme to rid the continent of malaria, when, in the almost complete absence of personal self-discipline, that disease
    is one of the most efficacious forms of population-control now operating. If his programme is successful, tens of millions of children who would otherwise have died in infancy will survive to adulthood, he boasts.

Oh good: then what? I know, let them all come here (to Ireland) or America. (not forgetting Australia!)

Yes, that’s an idea.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #5
    Completely logical argument, and not a very 'Christian' one, also true.

Believe it or not. I wondered about these questions when I first started to read newspapers, at about age ten. At that time, the famine was in China and India, at a time when they were having border skirmishes that were threatening to become all-out war, and China was unveiling its A-bomb capability.

Still no answers.
    edited April 2018 #6
    Epilogue.

Link;

I have copied this in full, not bits of quotes and a link, because.......well because.

Not forgetting our very own Big Cities;

".............low IQ, AK 47-bearing moron, siring children whenever the whim takes him, and blaming the world because he is uneducated, poor and left behind".

But in our case no AK's thankfully.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    While not a very 'Christian view' it is entirely a logical and truthful estimate of the situation. When the population of a country reaches a point that it can no longer provide its own food, the world does the country no favor by artificially supplying them food to grow their population even more, further outstripping their ability to feed themselves. Zimbabwe is a fairly recent example of this. And South Africa is the same situation as Zimbabwe in the making as we speak.

To put it bluntly, ANY animal population that eats all the available food while still reproducing unchecked will reach a point where the population starves to death down to a point that the food will support them. And the cycle repeats itself. Snow geese are a good example of the population exceeding the carrying capacity of the food and nesting sites. Jackrabbits in the SW U.S. are another that see cyclic booms in populations, and a huge die off during a drought or other cause of lack of food.

To think that people are any different is to turn a blind eye to the ugly truth. The truth is what it is, and you can make nothing else of it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #8
    I watched a documentary about some forgotten unrelated content once. The scientist was questioned by a member of the indigenous population that was employed in a logistical support capacity to the expedition about the disparity of recources between the expedition and his peers. The scientist that was questioned conducted a study on that subject and hypothesized that the lack of protien rich grains in the diet of the indigenous populous was a root cause.

Perhaps the region can remain a testing ground for missionary types of various religions. Assuming courage and willingness of those so inclined.

Added
    The lack of protien rich grains being detrimental to brain development.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I believe that it was the late Sam Kennison that once said "don't send food to starving countries, send them luggage so they can move to where the food is"!
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    The article pretty much described welfare on a much grander scale - when you give people something and ask for nothing in return, you are only going to get asked for more of something in return for more of nothing.  Trying to sustain life in a place where it's barely sustainable for no reason other than our hearts bleed about it only expands the problem.  As has been said elsewhere "If you're not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart.  If you're still a liberal when you grow up, you have no brain"

I recently had cause to look up a timeline graph of human population growth.  In the eons of time from when we crawled out of the slime at the bottom of Olduvai Gorge, it took us up until sometime in the last half of the 19th Century to crack the One Billion mark. In that last 150 years, we have shot up to Seven Billion.  What I found really interesting, and more than a little disturbing, was that the only visible dip in the steady slope before the insane mid-1800's spike were the bubonic plague years that wiped out a quarter of Europe, and that was just a brief, slightly downward arching pimple.  You would think that WWI, the 1918-19 influenza epidemic, WWII, and the various political purges would have made a dent in the rocketship upsurge.  Nope.

So yeah. . .SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE. . .and here we have groups subsidizing the multiplication of those who have nothing to offer except an anchor around the necks of those who do.    

The author is wrong on one count - he says he won't win any friends in writing an article like that. I've got a high five for him right here.  I'd happily buy HIM lunch at least.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,110 Senior Member
    After reading the article, I am thankful I live on an island. When the population reaches breaking point it will spill over borders and ...............wait............its already happening

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    After reading the article, I am thankful I live on an island. When the population reaches breaking point it will spill over borders and ...............wait............its already happening

Hank Johnson, one of our Congresscritters, was worried about the island of Guam tipping over from too many people. Best watch out; if too many people run to one side of your islands then all y'all might tip over! In Disbelief animated emoticon
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    orchidman said:

Hank Johnson, one of our Congresscritters, was worried about the island of Guam tipping over from too many people. Best watch out; if too many people run to one side of your islands then all y'all might tip over! In Disbelief animated emoticon
    That reminds me of the US Senator who made an irate phone call to his travel agent when he was not able to see the ocean from his hotel room..........in Orlando.  His comment was "I have looked at a map, Florida's not that big!"  Probably no surprise to anyone on here the senator was Bernie Sanders.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    One such congressman commented that the ecology of the ocean was changed by slave traders dumping dead slaves overboard when they died.  The sharks followed the ships eating the dead, changing their normal feeding patterns.  
    One such congressman commented that the ecology of the ocean was changed by slave traders dumping dead slaves overboard when they died.  The sharks followed the ships eating the dead, changing their normal feeding patterns.  
    There 'may' be a grain of truth to that statement. During WWII in the Pacific, shark attacks soon followed the sinking of ships. There is some speculation that the sharks learned that the explosions were like ringing a dinner bell. The sinking of the Indianapolis and the rapidity with which the sharks showed up gives some credence to that theory.

https://text-message.blogs.archives.gov/2015/07/21/shark-attacks-during-wwii/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-worst-shark-attack-in-history-25715092/

I'm not saying it's true or false. Just throwing it out there as food for thought. I know when we threw our food garbage overboard it brought a lot of fish into our wake to eat, and sharks showed up soon after. Poking around at 5 knots lots of times you got to see some strange stuff.

― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska said:
    ...and if you ever want to see any of these folks squirm ask the person asking you for money "exactly" how many pennies of every dollar make it to the hands of those they are trying to "help".
    Yep, you can easily search for the information online.

Those pesky federal forms all charities must file and the freedom of information act SO ruin a good money making scam.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Over the years I have had many try to talk me into doing charity scams on people . I call it scams but it is all legal to do. Once you learn the ins & outs it sours you on giving to any charity. I told the people advising me to do those things ..... " If I have to make money that way I will find new work " I have stuck to that for 38 years of business . I am not rich but can look in the mirror every day.
    ASPCA is one of those that spend most of the donation money on salaries and advertising. Not much makes it to the animals they show on their advertisements.

And this is why you don't feed the animals in parks. People develop the same habits, too.

― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    Uhm  Park Service is part of Department of Interior 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Uhm  Park Service is part of Department of Interior 
    I don't write the memes; I just post 'em! ROFLMAO animated emoticon
    ― Douglas Adams

Part two.

So be it.

Yes, that’s an idea.

Part two.

So be it.

Yes, that’s an idea.

Part two.

So be it.

Yes, that’s an idea.